Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How many miles per gallon do you get while daily driving?
1-10
2.38%
10-20
50.07%
20-30
41.22%
30+
1.98%
What is MPG? I just fill up 10 times a day.
4.36%
Voters: 757. You may not vote on this poll

EVO Gas Mileage MPG miles per gallon -- Merge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2006, 03:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well...........my guess is to use helium in your tires so you kind of float while driving
Old Jan 20, 2006, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

30mpg?

ur a moron

I wonder if you can score an IQ of 30
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

If you want good gas mileage then just get an underpowered piece of crap to do all of your daily driving in. I bought a 96 eclipse RS to drive back and forth to work! the best I have ever done is 25 miles to the gallon....and that was driving like a granny with lots of open roads!
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
29-31mpg if I stay off boost. Get about 270-295 on a tank. Thats mix highway & City driving OFF BOOST.
I usually get 300-310 miles to a tank, thats with 95% highway driving with a little boost here and there. Around town on the weekends its more the 200-250.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

i dirve 160miles round trip from work and back. i usually get 26-27. i am happy. but if your goin to baby a car get a echo
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
IOriginally Posted by DCSilvrEvo
29-31mpg if I stay off boost. Get about 270-295 on a tank. Thats mix highway & City driving OFF BOOST..

HOW IS 270-295 = 29-31 mpG?

WHAT DO you have a barrel in the trunk with fuel?
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

driving the way i enjoy (boost at least once a day, and at least one nice drive on the weekend) i usally get about 260 miles before the light comes on (so 2 gallons left). driving back from ohio and keeping it at 60, even through a snowstorm i cranked out almost 320 miles before the light came on. that's my best to date.

honestly though, i am car poor, but i can't for the life of me understand why people are worried about getting better mpg from their car. its an evo for crying out loud. give up a couple lattes or cigarettes a week and you'll save more money. enjoy the car while you have it. really, if you want mpg, buy a prius (which i actually do like by the way).
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by purecoda
driving the way i enjoy (boost at least once a day, and at least one nice drive on the weekend) i usally get about 260 miles before the light comes on (so 2 gallons left). driving back from ohio and keeping it at 60, even through a snowstorm i cranked out almost 320 miles before the light came on. that's my best to date.

honestly though, i am car poor, but i can't for the life of me understand why people are worried about getting better mpg from their car. its an evo for crying out loud. give up a couple lattes or cigarettes a week and you'll save more money. enjoy the car while you have it. really, if you want mpg, buy a prius (which i actually do like by the way).

Nuff said
Old Jan 20, 2006, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Prius doesn't have much beter mileage than a d-wing tuned evo on the highway. most of the prius synergy drive benefits mileage at non highways speeds.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by byron3636
Prius doesn't have much beter mileage than a d-wing tuned evo on the highway. most of the prius synergy drive benefits mileage at non highways speeds.
Not true. We drove my wife's Prius up to NJ from VA and we averaged 47mpg on the highway. You don't even have to guess, because the car's computer screen tells you everything the car is doing, including which motor it's using and when, and also what kind of mileage you're getting. You are correct that the biggest benefit is around town... under most circumstances under 30mph it uses the electric motor exclusively, which is of course infinityMPG... but it's still WAY better than most cars, even cruising full-motor. It's an amazing car, and shockingly nice when fully equipped...

Like I said before... if you average my wife's and my gas mileage and emissions, then we = a normal car
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by SterlingEvo
Not true. We drove my wife's Prius up to NJ from VA and we averaged 47mpg on the highway. You don't even have to guess, because the car's computer screen tells you everything the car is doing, including which motor it's using and when, and also what kind of mileage you're getting. You are correct that the biggest benefit is around town... under most circumstances under 30mph it uses the electric motor exclusively, which is of course infinityMPG... but it's still WAY better than most cars, even cruising full-motor. It's an amazing car, and shockingly nice when fully equipped...

Like I said before... if you average my wife's and my gas mileage and emissions, then we = a normal car
Your experience is contrary to what most automotive magazines are experiencing. They are not getting anywhere near the rated mpg during normal driving from any of the hybrids.

I would also add that there is nothing wrong with wanting to get better mpg. When you are on the highway cruising, you might as well get the best mpg possible.

I have run mine at higher afrs, 16:1, and didn't really get better gas mileage. I've cruised at afrs of 14.7 and 16 and got about 24 mpg at both. I will play with the timing some and see if I can max the mpg. The best I ever got was 28.2 mpg with a stiff tail wind.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
during break-in i got 280 miles/12 gallons (seems the light comes on with about 2 gallons left, and I get gas immediately afterwards)

now i get 240/12 gallons

it's worth it
Old Jan 20, 2006, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure why some of you guys are bringing up the EPA and such. Cars normally get more efficient after a break in period. Like I said, I have gotten 28mpg and I'm pretty sure that was at 65mph. I'm betting if I drove the car at 55 instead it would have been better.

I don't think this guy is trying to say all evos should be driven like he drives them. I think he is looking for the overall best mileage anyone has gotten. I dont see a problem with someone trying to save a few bucks when they take a long road trip or something.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Your experience is contrary to what most automotive magazines are experiencing. They are not getting anywhere near the rated mpg during normal driving from any of the hybrids.
Well, my point was that an Evo in any state of tune is nowhere near them (someone had mentioned that there wasn't much difference). But for reference, here are a couple of #s I found quickly. My 47mpg for the trip isn't far off:

"Mileage on the Highway: All four cars got more than 40 mpg, and the Prius hit 50[mpg]."
- Car and Driver The Frugalympics, September 2004

"In our last three tankfulls... we averaged a consistent 44 mpg in mixed driving"
- Edmunds.com Long-Term Test: Toyota Prius, October 2005
Old Jan 23, 2006, 10:22 PM

MPG on stock evo

I'm thinking of getting an EVO for a Daily Driver. What kind of mileage do you guys get on a stock one on the interstate ? in town ?

Please dont give me a guess. Id' like some hard numbers by someone that did the calculations.

Here's how I figure it out:

Before a long HW trip, I fill the car up, press the reset button on the cluster and drive the car to my destination. Then when I get there. I fill the car back up. I look at how many gallong I now just put in. I look at the miles on the trip odometer.

Miles on trip /Gallons just put in = MPG

Quick Reply: EVO Gas Mileage MPG miles per gallon -- Merge