Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

turbo timer recomendation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Mines built into my alarm. I never use it though waste of gas and money
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using the built in turbo timer that can with my clifford alarm. Works the same as other simple turbo timers unless you are looking for extra features like lap times, 1/4 mile times etc etc.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Apexi

Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

cant go wrong with hks...the blue looks sick....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HKS type 0 TT. It is very easy to use but the backlighting is orange-ish.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

the newer HKS type 1 is a white faced gauge, while the older type 1's are blue faced...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

I had Greddy before but I changed my alarm which has a TT. AUTO PAGE so far is good quality!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have it built into my remote(compustar)
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hikaru
^Word up! Don't waste your money people. With the design of turbos and cooling them these days, timers are def. not needed. I mean, if you want a cool looking gadget it your cabin then by all means.
I take it you've never done any track days?
I installed a TT so I can park it after coming off the track, instead of putting around the pits like everybody else needs to.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

I had the apexi on mines for aprox 5k miles. Turned it off cause it got annoying. Eventually took it off. My turbo is perfect, no problems whatsoever. High mileage too!
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

A turbo timer is very cool to me.

I bought the Apexi Skeleton Clear turbo timer with the harness from lancershop.com for $148.16 with shipping and all. It's made 100% in Japan and it has the blue colored digital #'s that you are looking for. It's very small and lightweight. Lancershop has a very special deal on the silver Apexi turbo timer with the red digital #'s (the same as in the picture posted from a member on this thread). The special includes the harness and everything---The special price is $99.00 and has FREE SHIPPING! ***Go to the link called "Extra Value Deals." Still to me, my Apexi Skeleton Clear TT is very impressive and is worth every penny to me for it's cool factor in the looks and cooling factor for the turbo in my car.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:39 PM

I also agree with the general idea that it can be a waste of money, more so of gas than the timer itself, however I still have one(car came with it) and choose when I want to use it by simply dropping the ebrake quickly after pulling the key out to shut it off one time. I have considered it useful on a handful of occassions where I have pushed the car hard and shut off soon over. I also have a fan on my oil cooler and I find allowing it to stay on that extra 2mins or so does allows oil temps to drop considerably, at least so my defi gauge says and i can imagine the turbo will be that much hotter. I think this is one of those things that you can argue strongly for either way but at the end of the day it's a neat gadget
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:08 PM

Do you already have an alarm? Some alarms have them built into them. Mine does. Easy to use. Just push a button before you turn it off and it runs for the set time.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:12 PM

Has anyone taken any readings from the exhaust side of the turbo, or at the exhaust manifold? If the temps are around 400* on the exaust side of the turbo,then they should be about 100* warmer at the intake side. And to make everything more confusing the outside of the pipe reads higher than the inside of the pipe.

Lets put it this way if you think you need the timer, validate why. You really need to measure your exhaust temps. A hand held laser heat thermometer would be a start to measure the temps, if they seem like they are around the above numbers.

You would probably be doing yourself a favor by installing a pyrometer. Then if you see that you are needing to idle for a few minutes, you might want a timer.

On my Turbo Diesel it only takes about a minute to cool down to 300* after city driving with stop and go conditions. A lot of times you can just drive easy the last couple of minutes and the temps will really come down.

Anyone that is going to come from hard pulls at max boost and then just shut their motor down, is going to learn pretty quickly what it involves to replace a turbo.

I'm new here and to these cars, but I do know a little about turbocharged diesels.

I am in the process of absorbing all the technical aspects of these cars now. The designers of this package are truly some very smart people who have done their homework, and to tell you the truth I am amazed at the power and torque that this little motor can make and still hold together.

If you are modding this motor adding fuel and running larger turbos, I think you may you need to get a pyrometer. I don't know how much this motor can take but I imagine 1200* pre-turbo for more than about 40 Seconds would be a good way to start removing material from the tops of the pistons. At least it will on a diesel.

Anyway that should enlighten a couple of you guys about turbo temps.

In God We Trust
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:59 PM

I have a EGT gauge aka a pyrometer installed also. That was installed before the alarm with turbo timer was.

Quick Reply: turbo timer recomendation