Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is the "PitPass" some people talk about?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the "PitPass" some people talk about?

Some sort of dealer service thing?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Essentially yes. Run a search on it as some people have come to loathe it. Would be interesting to know what percentage adhere to it/bought it.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 10:54 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Due the oil service yourself. This way you wouldn't have to worry about ppl putting regular oil in your car.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Huh?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I think gtr meant, do your own oil change.

Make sure is Synthetic Oil. Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic will work. No Synthetic blend stuff...

If you use oil change services, there might be a chance that some "idiot" put regular motor oil on your precious car.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Pit pass might be a good option for some lazy owner that don't want to do their own oil change.

BTW, not all owner will have the luxury to do oil change. I'm sure every Evo owners will like to baby thier car like I did.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:42 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

Originally posted by chinalfr
I think gtr meant, do your own oil change.

Make sure is Synthetic Oil. Mobil 1 or Castrol synthetic will work. No Synthetic blend stuff...

If you use oil change services, there might be a chance that some "idiot" put regular motor oil on your precious car.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Thank chinalfr
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
its just a fancy name for a oil change and a 27 point inspection.

it also says in a pitpass info letter to dealers: "To make sure high profile customers come back to "your" dealership"

so basically if they spot something on the inspection and it needs attention, the dealership will keep your business. Its a money thing
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

I guess what I'm asking is, is it generally something they throw in the deal that they would usually charge for?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:55 AM
gtr
Evolved Member

I forgot but it was a really expensive oil change The longer you purchase the service the cheaper but it comes out to $70 for oil change and tire rotation or something? I'm sure someone here could give you the exact numbers.

After you bargin your car down tell them to give you a free pit pass and you'll purchase on the spot
Old Aug 20, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

By comparison, a five quart container of Mobile 1 costs $18.88 at Walmart, and the Mitsubishi oil filter and crush washer cost around $6.00 for a total parts investment of around $25 with tax.

BTW- The Evo is an easy car to change oil on making this a no brainer. I do realize though, that some folks just don't want to work on their cars, and for them the PitPass probably makes sense, especially if you can negotiate it in for free as gtr mentioned!
Old Aug 20, 2003, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

So having a PitPass qualifies you for a cheaper oilchange price when you go to the dealership?
Old Aug 20, 2003, 02:16 PM

What about the tire rotation? Does it require alignment also or just switch front to back -- w/c would be pretty brainless? What do you guys recommend for this?
And the 27 point inspection; I know that's BS but what should we be inspecting ourselves; I don't know about any other fluids....
I literally have to make up my mind tonight on whether or not to cancel the pitpass. Thanks.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

i got the pitpass but i dont think i wanna take it there. cause i really dont trust them, i got it for free,so it dont really bother me. the guy there was saying how u have to have it, if u dont get it, it will cost you 300 dollars to change your oil, i was laughing. he said its not like any other car.its turbo. 300 dollars for a oil change, funnist thing i ever heard on a 4 clyn.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 03:03 PM

The Pitpass is also a good way to protect yourself from warranty problems for the first year that you have the car. I'm going to wait a year before I mod the car. I don't have to worry about any mechanical problems and having the dealership accuse me of voiding the warranty by adding the wrong oil or something stupid like that. As soon as I'm sure that my engine and drive train don't have any problems (lemon issues) I will stop visiting the dealership. Until that point the dealership will be the only people to mechanically touch the car. I will have written proof that all maintanance has was done on time and done correctly. By the time I'm ready to mod the car there should be some very good data on which vendor make the best modz for the money. Hopfully there will a nice pillar mounted gauge pod by then. Until then I will read about all the modz that are being tried which work and which ones don't.

Quick Reply: What is the "PitPass" some people talk about?