Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did use Zaino, used Z5 then Z2, with Z6 inbetween them and after Z2. The next day got a bird poop on the hood, BANG! Big burn spot on it...
Probably need to add more layers of Zaino to protect the crappy paint job. Like 25 or so...
Three years with my Celica GT-S, no sign of bird poop burns. Unless the birds are eating Uranium nowadays.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:30 PM

thin paint to save weight?! thats bull****. The ONLY reason mitsu does this is to save MONEY. I think the Evo could afford a few extra pounds to ensure we all dont have chips before we even get HOME from the lot.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CACalomino

Logical yes. take a basic paint job the body shop uses prob a 1/4 gallon to shoot the car right. Well a good paint job like the one I did on my CIvic was a 6 coat witch was a full gallon of paint sprayed on it and 3 coats of clear. Go lift a gallon of paint and tell me it dont weigh nothing

Chris
what does a good paint job usually cost like the one described above?
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Well I got hit and got a hook up from one of my buddys he knew a little ghetto mexican whole in the wall body shop. THere painter was a X low rider painter so I knew it would come out I painted the car Lexus IS300 graphit grey pearl and used the best paint PPG. I ended up getting the whole car resprayed jams and all for $750 but expect to pay about 1500-2000 for a bad *** paint job from a repudable shop in your area. If u do go with them tell them u want the best paint most place's cut corners like mitsu did with our paint jobs to make some extra cash so best if u buy the paint your self. Oh and here are some pics of what a good paint job should look like.

Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok hate to be the bubble breaker here but every last bit of this has all been covered in many prevous posts some threads with 100's of post every lasy oz owner i know of has paint issues pesonally i have had the body kit and bumpers of my car resprayed the paint coat is 2 thin subaru has the same problem best bet wait till u have many isssues the have the dealer respray as much of the car as possible then the problems will be gone, hopefully run a search u will find massive paint threds
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:20 PM

This may or may not help, but Subarus have terrible paint too. My previous WRX and RS both had little chips on the front and on the hood from the smallest things. I often thought it was because of the aluminum hood and inability to get the primer to stick well? All I have to say is "3m front end clear bra."
Old Aug 23, 2003, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CACalomino

[/B]
Do you have shots of the engine bay? I just wanted to see if you did a complete color change.

Also, my BMW has great paint. I have had everything from bird droppings to road grime on it without washing it for a couple weeks and once I do, it all disappears without scarring my paint.

I don't like the fact that Mitsu is using thin paint but when it happens to me, I'll be sure to respay it with better paint and clearcoat.

BZZI: If your hood looks really bad, I think it's time you bought a carbon fiber hood. What do you think?
Old Aug 24, 2003, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

ya the whole car was repainted jams and all the only part that did not get repainted was teh shock towers but the car used to be black so u cant even tell the radiator support was painted teh new color thow to bad I did not have the money to do my swap at the time I got it repainted or it would have come out pefect
here is a pic oh thats a ITR motor swaped in there tuned for mid 180WHP in my gutted 2400lb car ya she was fast and fun to drive but the evo is all the great ness she was but with more comfort and AC and more room for my tall white ***.

Old Aug 26, 2003, 08:20 PM

It's getting worse...
Now my paint seems full of swirls, for no reason. If you rub your hands on it, it seems to scratch, so weak it is. My wife's BMW 330i can support a gallon of bird ****, you can take it off with your nails and it's perfect underneath. In my red EVO, if a breath too close to it, it scratches.
WTF???
The dealer says is not covered by the warranty.
Did they forget to use clear coat in our cars??
Can I get clear coats from a body shop?
So dellusioned right now... Always wanted a red EVO, now I have a red scratch pad that goes pretty fast.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bzzi
It's getting worse...
Now my paint seems full of swirls, for no reason. If you rub your hands on it, it seems to scratch, so weak it is. My wife's BMW 330i can support a gallon of bird ****, you can take it off with your nails and it's perfect underneath. In my red EVO, if a breath too close to it, it scratches.
WTF???
The dealer says is not covered by the warranty.
Can I get clear coats from a body shop?
So dellusioned right now... Always wanted a red EVO, now I have a red scratch pad that goes pretty fast.
Believe it or not some newer cars do not have a clear coat. I had a VW GTI VR6 that was red, and that damn car was just straight red over primer... and not much let me tell you!

The easiest test is to just use a little wax on your car and then buff it off. If you get the color red on your rag you don't have a clear coat and you are basically into the color finish...its as simple as that!

BTW- The german cars I have owned including a 98 e36 m3/4, an 00 MCoupe, an 01 X5 4.4i, an 00 S4 and an 01 S4 all had the "water" based paints which are supposed to be friendly to the environment. All of these cars had ultra soft paint and were prone to chipping and damage from bugs, rocks, and other road debris. I personally find that my Yellow Evo has much better paint, not necessarily from the luster stand-point, but at least as far as the chip factor goes.

Perhaps different color paint is having different wear issues??
I have 9200 miles on my car and have only incurred a few minor chips to date.

N10S

Last edited by N10S; Aug 26, 2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 09:52 PM

If I had to guess, there is not much at all........you can't go by BMW though because they are notorious for using a ton of clear coat.

Had a 95 M3 and a 00 Mcoupe, paint on both was great.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did use Zaino, used Z5 then Z2, with Z6 inbetween them and after Z2. The next day got a bird poop on the hood, BANG! Big burn spot on it...
Probably need to add more layers of Zaino to protect the crappy paint job. Like 25 or so...
Three years with my Celica GT-S, no sign of bird poop burns. Unless the birds are eating Uranium nowadays.
That is just ****ing sad. Man, im going to Zaino my car this weekend too... I thought at least it would keep the bird stains out!~~! I always try to quickly clean it off... and I try to stay away form the following:

-trees (sap)
-birds
-in the sun, next to trees (heat + bird **** = see ya paint)
-places where I see mass quanities of bird **** (ie - light posts)
-people mowing lawns, etc

Such a pity to drive a nice car sometimes...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

bzzi...unless you removed that bird **** stain BEFORE you applied zaino, you basically just sealed in the stain...zaino is a sealant (one of the best IMO) unlike the name it advertises, it is NOT a polish...zaino contains ZERO abrasives and will not polish out or remove scratches or swirls...the Z5 will fill in very,very slight swirls/marring but nothing much more...

because zaino is so optically perfect, it will only enhance your scratches/swirls/**** stains etc unless you remove them before the application of zaino...to remove those stains, use a mild abrasive such as 3M swirl mark remover or Meguiars #9...then reapply your zaino layers...

i'm sure if your celica was red too, you would see the same **** stains on it also...silver is a very forgiving color that hides ALOT of imperfections...

hope this helps...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by boostedwrx

That is just ****ing sad. Man, im going to Zaino my car this weekend too... I thought at least it would keep the bird stains out!~~! I always try to quickly clean it off... and I try to stay away form the following:

-trees (sap)
-birds
-in the sun, next to trees (heat + bird **** = see ya paint)
-places where I see mass quanities of bird **** (ie - light posts)
-people mowing lawns, etc

Such a pity to drive a nice car sometimes...
zaino will protect your car...one of the best things about zaino is the fact that it can be layered...if there does happen to be a bird that ****s on your car, like you said, remove ASAP...however if there is a stain that forms, the stain is more than likely in the zaino layers and not etched in the clear...from my previous experience, anything that is "damaged" in the zaino layers can be repaired with Z5...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:11 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
silver is forgiving. had bird droppings too but was able to lift it off by using a light rubbing compund. after one month, waxed it with zymol and never looked back. bugs, tar and dirt washes off easily.

Quick Reply: Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.