Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new paints since the mid-90s.... water-based crap that is enviromentally friendly, is all a pile of **** as far as durability and quality. It's all weak. My Acura's paint is weak too. True, I have a nice clearcoat on it and it hasn't faded or anything, but still, it can chip easily, etc.

It's pathetic a $30k car doesn't have clearcoat on it though. **** that. If I think about it long enough that alone would be enough to turn me off from buying one. Why should I have to pay a shop a thousand bucks to clearcoat my car when it should be that way from the damn factory?
Old Aug 30, 2003, 10:31 PM

Thanks, EVOWhat. Yes, when I rub Z5 from Zaino, I get a red stain on the pad. So, does this mean that I have NO clearcoat?? How is that possible? I thought that nowadays clearcoats are the norm in automotive paint! Can you get a clear coat on a bodyshop? Anybody from Los Angeles, Venice area that knows a good one that I can have my car covered? Thanks!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bzzi
Thanks, EVOWhat. Yes, when I rub Z5 from Zaino, I get a red stain on the pad. So, does this mean that I have NO clearcoat?? How is that possible? I thought that nowadays clearcoats are the norm in automotive paint! Can you get a clear coat on a bodyshop? Anybody from Los Angeles, Venice area that knows a good one that I can have my car covered? Thanks!
When you wax and buff a clearcoated finish, you wont see any color come off on the applicator, or buffing cloth. If you do....... the car doesn't have a clear-coat. If you take your car to a reputable body shop they can probably tell you if they could just wet sand your red, then clearcoat over.

I imagine though, since the paints so thin, that the answer will be you will have to wet sand, get the base color reshot, then wetsand again, and then shoot clearcoat over the top. Just a guess...I could be wrong?

Btw- Repeated waxing of a thin non-clearcoated finish will result in finish wear-through sooner or later. Also be careful not to use cleaner waxes, or anything with abrasives for that matter, as this will also accelerate the process.

That 5 star product might be a good one for this kind of paint.

N10S
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thats BS if the EVO doesn't have clear coat.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 02:50 PM

it is time we all did something about this. can we get a petition going to improve the paint quality and send it to mitsu? i would be happy to help out anyway i can.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EVO_RPM
Thats BS if the EVO doesn't have clear coat.
I wouldn't go as far as to say the Evo doesn't have a clearcoat. For some reason, different paint colors sometimes receive different treatment. For instance it is extremely rare that silver not be clearcoated because the high metallic content tends to oxidize very quickly if left to the elements. Other metallics and black also seem to get clearcoated normally.

Red though, for whatever reason, seems to be a color that does not always get clear-coated. As far as the other Evo colors go its hard to say. My 95 Gti Vr6 was red and had no clearcoat, but the black 95 Gti I know for sure were clearcoated. I found out the first time I waxed the car, and had red all over my buffing rags and went ballistic. The dealership gave me some song and dance and said it was not uncommon with red! My 96 Audi A4 was red but was also clearcoated.....no real ryhme or reason?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by N10S

I wouldn't go as far as to say the Evo doesn't have a clearcoat. For some reason, different paint colors sometimes receive different treatment. For instance it is extremely rare that silver not be clearcoated because the high metallic content tends to oxidize very quickly if left to the elements. Other metallics and black also seem to get clearcoated normally.

Red though, for whatever reason, seems to be a color that does not always get clear-coated. As far as the other Evo colors go its hard to say. My 95 Gti Vr6 was red and had no clearcoat, but the black 95 Gti I know for sure were clearcoated. I found out the first time I waxed the car, and had red all over my buffing rags and went ballistic. The dealership gave me some song and dance and said it was not uncommon with red! My 96 Audi A4 was red but was also clearcoated.....no real ryhme or reason?
I plan on getting white. Have you heard of any white cars that didn't have any clear coat?
Old Aug 31, 2003, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

I plan on getting white. Have you heard of any white cars that didn't have any clear coat?
Yeah, the Evo

But seriously, a few white Evo owners are complaining how easily it seems things stain the white.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

while i ASSUMED that all the EVO colors are clearcoated, like stated before, it's not all that uncommon for certain manufacturers to not clearcoat some colors...for example...a 2003 Lexus IS300 is a single stage NON-clearcoated paint...why they clearcoat certain colors and not other colors is beyond me...

bzzi...if your pad turns red, it may be an indication that there isn't a clear coat...i would actually like to hear others reply who have red and have waxed their cars...if you can, try and apply it in another area to get another "test" sample if you will and see if the pad still turns red...IF red is in fact a single stage paint, zaino's z3 is for non-clearcoated paints...

other red evo owner's who have waxed or polished care to chime in?...
Old Sep 1, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

What about the yellow evo's....im starting to get a little nervous here.....damn new termonology for the word "lemon" when it comes to a evo esepcially if its yellow......
Old Sep 1, 2003, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

yes, the evo's are clearcoated. but i'm sure its thin, just like the mitsu paint.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 08:59 PM

I have white and yes it stains easy (like tire shine for example, its annoying). That aside, I do think the paint has a light clearcoat on it. Very often non-clearcoated paint tends to rub off a little when you use products like Meguires cleaner wax.

I used that, Zaino Z5, and bug/tar remover on the paint....nothing white rubbed off.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by EVOwhat
while i ASSUMED that all the EVO colors are clearcoated, like stated before, it's not all that uncommon for certain manufacturers to not clearcoat some colors...for example...a 2003 Lexus IS300 is a single stage NON-clearcoated paint...why they clearcoat certain colors and not other colors is beyond me...

bzzi...if your pad turns red, it may be an indication that there isn't a clear coat...i would actually like to hear others reply who have red and have waxed their cars...if you can, try and apply it in another area to get another "test" sample if you will and see if the pad still turns red...IF red is in fact a single stage paint, zaino's z3 is for non-clearcoated paints...

other red evo owner's who have waxed or polished care to chime in?...
I have red and have waxed my car on two occasions. Both times, I had red rags and thought it was normal.

So...what should I do? Wet sand the car and get it clear-coated?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Guys, there are a lot more cars out there than you realize without clearcoat. Its not the end of the world, and non-clearcoated paint jobs can look good, and last for the duration of time that most people will own their cars for anyway.

If it really bugs you, talk with a reputable body shop and see what they recommend. Be careful though, body shops are like surgeons, and if you ask them to fix your problem they may take your tonsills whether it needs done or not !

A better solution would be to discuss the best wax/paint treatment for non-clearcoated paint, and just enjoy your car!

N10S
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

N10S couldn't have said it any better...there are quite a few cars out there that do NOT have a clear...just because a car doesn't have clearcoat doesn't mean that it's of poor quality...you just have to be alittle more selective in your choices of waxing products...i'm sure that Lexus not clear coating their '03 IS300 isn't going to be of any better or worse quality than any of their other clear coated colors...

....you COULD get a body shop estimate if you really wanted a clear, but if it was my choice, i would leave it as it is...a non cleared vehicle can look just as nice as a clear and vice versa...

Quick Reply: Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.