Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2003, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by wi_whoami
The dealer repainted my entire car afte r it got some sort of spots on it the night I drove it home. I still think it was the black crap they put on the tires to make the wheels like shiny. They tried EVERYTHING to get it off the paint, but it went down to the metal. I think the clearcoat on the factory cars is non-existant. I Zaino'd the car after I got it back with the new paint job. Looks AWESOME now ;-)
That happened to me as well (have White), I have spots from the tire shine that I can't get off. For one thing, its not that bad at all where the car would need a new paint job. I just think its annoying that the oem paint acts like a f*ing sponge. Have never had this come up before on any car. I told my bodyshop guy about it and he was like bring it in "there is no way that stained permanently after a day of being on the paint." He said at the least it should be able to compound out.

I'm going to bring it down next week for him to check out.
Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:50 PM
Evolving Member

well was going to buy an evo today...but they didn't have a white one ...n e ways the salesman told me the paint job is warrantied if it's a factory "defect" but from stories of warranty problems...it's just another ploy for me to buy the car. maybe one of u guys can go get a new paint job.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I was taking a real close look at my paint (yellow) when I cleaned and waxed my car last night. I was really amazed, that after almost 10k miles my paint is nearly perfect. I have a few pin-head sized chips I have picked-up in the air dam, but otherwise it shined right up and looks awesome!!

I realize that this thread has been about terrible quality, but for me personally the Evo's paint has been very durable, especially considering the miles I have put on the car, having to traverse a gravel road section on a daily basis, and Missouri's nasty bug population which typically adorns my mirrors, air dam, and FMIC.

Maybe yellow is just a tougher paint, but it seems to be wearing well on my car at least!

N10S
Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

thats good to hear. Atleast someone isn't having paint issues
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

First off, I have a white EVO. Well just drove back today from lunch, my car was outside for less than 30 mins and took another 45 mins to drive back. Got to the garage, got out and and noticed that where were bird droppings on my hood. I started to panic at first since I was driving back, it was sunny, hood was very hot but then I realized I have been using Zaino since the first day I got the car. I must have about 10 coats of Zaino Z2 and 2 coats of Z5 so I proceed to spray a bit of Z6 on the bird dropping as well as soaked a towel with Z6 and wiped the bird droppings off. Guess what? F@&!ing yellow stain dots across the hood! I tried some Z5 again, no go. Maybe I wouldn't be so mad if I hadn't waxed the car but damn. I'm not blaming Zaino Bros, they have great products however I never thought much of Mitsu paint quality as a problem until now....this is just pathetic!
Old Sep 20, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by sophis
First off, I have a white EVO. Well just drove back today from lunch, my car was outside for less than 30 mins and took another 45 mins to drive back. Got to the garage, got out and and noticed that where were bird droppings on my hood. I started to panic at first since I was driving back, it was sunny, hood was very hot but then I realized I have been using Zaino since the first day I got the car. I must have about 10 coats of Zaino Z2 and 2 coats of Z5 so I proceed to spray a bit of Z6 on the bird dropping as well as soaked a towel with Z6 and wiped the bird droppings off. Guess what? F@&!ing yellow stain dots across the hood! I tried some Z5 again, no go. Maybe I wouldn't be so mad if I hadn't waxed the car but damn. I'm not blaming Zaino Bros, they have great products however I never thought much of Mitsu paint quality as a problem until now....this is just pathetic!
Every white car i've owned had yellow marks from bird droppings. It goes away after a couple washes even when waxed.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by EVO_RPM

Every white car i've owned had yellow marks from bird droppings. It goes away after a couple washes even when waxed.
My previous car, a 98 Eclipse GST, never got yellow marks from bird droppings even if it was on the hood and it was sitting in the sun/etc.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

I've been told that you shouldn't apply any sealants or wax your car for a couple months after you first get the car.... something about how the paint has to settle.... doesn't sound quite right to me but has anybody else heard anything similar?
Old Sep 21, 2003, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

I have always heard you should wait 6 months before you wax. As far as bad paint paint I would hope being that the cars are less than a year old the paint would be perfect.
Old Sep 21, 2003, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Jamdown
I just took bird **** off mine and its scrathed by a wet ****ing paper towel

I am pissed
You're not supposed to use paper towels on anything other than glass in a car. Use only cotton.

I've had no problems with my paint. I wash weekly and wax every 1-2 months. I've also read the threads here about paint coming off when waxing, I've never had that happen either....
Old Sep 22, 2003, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

no more input on whether or not you should touch the paint to let it settle in?!
Old Sep 23, 2003, 03:33 AM

I used to have black 00 celica GTS. Bird poo is pain in the **** to take out. Once you see a dried bird poo, forget about it the paint is forever scared.

BTW the EVO's paint is weak. I wouldnt polish it as much as i did with my celica. Specially the front bumper, peels off real easy, getting mine repainted and debadged . And it doesnt shine like my celica, its somewhat dull.

The EVO comes out waxed from the factory. See how when you first wash the EVO the water beads. Id say wait till it doesnt bead anymore.

Last edited by TrippinFlip214; Sep 23, 2003 at 03:42 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 03:46 AM

well i just have noticed that my car is rusting all over the car. I have to take it to mitsu this friday to get it looked at. I first thought it was little sap spots everywhere from a tree but after washing and using different cleaning products i found that the spots are little pits in my car that are rusting. I dont expect anything less than a fully new paintjob. We will see this friday
Old May 23, 2006, 03:34 AM

[QUOTE=Hungbee112]Mitsu definitely doesn't have the best paint job, definitely a step behind those of Toyota and Honda. [QUOTE]

sadly, is a step behind Toyota and Honda in most all categories (reliability, quality, fit/finish, use of materials, etc.)
Old May 23, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use polymers on my red paint with good results. Spot free for 12 months. I know some people don't like them, but IMO they offer the best protection from birds, bugs, water.

Quick Reply: Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.