Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2003, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.

I bought my Rally Red Evo a month ago. On the third day I had it, a large bird dropping was splattered on my hood. I didn't think that it would be bad, because I had a 2000 silver Celica GT-S and never had to worry about birds using it for target. Boy, was I wrong. I cleaned it with some damp cloth and it left a huge dull spot on the hood. No shine at all. I thought I did something wrong, and I was going to polish it off. Aha! Wrong again. Then, a week ago, I was parked in front of a house that turned the sprinklers on at 12 PM, while I was having lunch. The horror. My car was covered in whitish dots, that each and every one of them left a circle of damage on the paint after I washed it. Pain, pain, pain.
Bought Zaino ZFX, Z5 for polish it off, Z2 to make it shine, Z6 in-between to lock it. I spread, buffed and puffed for 9 long hours. The water spots are gone, the bird spots ARE NOT!!!! I put the car on the garage the same night, and on the next day at work, another dropping on the hood, this time smaller. No prob I thought, Zaino will protect this weak paint job. WRONG AGAIN!!!! Now I have another dime size dull spot on the hood. Used Z5 and Z6 and nothing! Took it to the dealer and they said that it is "Normal, bird droppings are acid." Yes, they forgot to tell that to Toyota!!
Now I'm afraid my beautiful red EVO will not be beautiful anymore in a year or so. It will actually look like a damn red dalmatian.
How's your cars' paint job accidents? Is it only mine or is it a plague that is widespread?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsu definitely doesn't have the best paint job, definitely a step behind those of Toyota and Honda. The answer to your question is...no, bird droppings have not ate away at my finish. Atleast not that I have noticed. but then again my car is yellow and yours is red.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:19 AM
Evolving Member

yup. i sent them a complaint letter some time back. i never followed up on it however.. it should be covered by factory warranty though. just take into your dealer and give them hell!!
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:19 AM

I wonder if this only happens on the aluminum hoods, not on the regular sheet metal.
Also, is Red a more delicate pigment or something? I don't think so, specially with clear coat to protect it. Or not!
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

I dont think its so much the quality rather the coats i think they only did one - two coats and perhaps didnt let it dry enough that it didnt bond correct, thats what i think it is cuse any of my car that has stock paint is chipping hell even under my side skirts i have paint chips and RUST how the hell do you chip an area coverd with a side skirt??
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

But yet my body kit has very little chips and those are from huge rocks or bugs i hit
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

all mitsu paint sucks, evo or lancer.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Would it be prudent to take a brand new Evo to a paint shop to have them put a good quality multitude coating of paint on?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:41 AM

I used to have an 00 celica GTS also. But decided to play chicken with a deer and lo and behold the deer survived, the celica died, and I got an Evo. But I see your point the paint job on the celicas almost seemed indestructible compared to the Evo's.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

exactly why i got paint protection done...any kind of stain they will repaint the car
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:27 AM

How much does it cost to get a couple additional clearcoat layers added by a body and paint shop?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I personally LOVE the paint quality of my Evo but I've also owned nothing but Chevies and Fords prior.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

I just took bird **** off mine and its scrathed by a wet ****ing paper towel

I am pissed
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Jamdown
I just took bird **** off mine and its scrathed by a wet ****ing paper towel
Always make sure bird **** is completely damp (nut crusty) before you take it off the car. When its still dried and you wipe it up its really no different than wiping sand across the paint.

Also, try not to use paper based products on paint....even when wet.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mitsu... paint Just Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Terrible paint quality... Shame on you Mitsu.