Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

APEXI TT wires help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2008, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APEXI TT wires help

Seeing the the old thread in the how to section is a little old and outdated I just wanted to start a thread to shed a little light on the topic since I have been having some trouble installing mine. I installed the harness for the apexi tt into the ignition harness and have all that setup since there is no power harness. I have three other wires that come from the harness, a black, grey, and white one. The black one I am aware needs to be grounded to the car, the grey one and white one are for the ebrake and o2 respectively. The problem is, when I think I've grounded the black one, i turn the car on and there is no power to the timer. I pulled out my ecu and was going to put it in either pin 13/26 yet both were taken up (must of been from another install) and the o2 sensor one was taken up aswell (i dont know if i'm suppose to remove the stock one and put the new one in there or what). Any help with what is the best place to ground the black wire and if I'm perhaps missing something, please let me know. All i've done so far was good the harness up to each side of the ignition and concealed all that, now I just have these wires to work with. The How-To thread about this I read up on and still could use some help.

Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you not get the instructions that came with the turbo timer? I just installed mine last weekend, but on my IX MR. The ECU is different on mine with made it a little bit more work trying to find a diagram for it...

I grounded mine to the ecu ground. You should be able to find a diagram of your ecu if you do a search.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

To make life easy and simple, get the harness for the turbo timer. Save your wires from getting splice.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

I do have a harness for the timer. The question I was asking was about the three wires that come with (black/grey/white). There are already wires in my ground chassis pins in my ecu, I am just concerned with getting the timer working and powered at the moment.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have this?

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/i...structions.pdf
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

You're not supposed to take the ECU pin out. If you purchased it new it comes with wire T-taps, thats what you use. As for the power issue, find and test a different ground.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by boostless
You're not supposed to take the ECU pin out. If you purchased it new it comes with wire T-taps, thats what you use. As for the power issue, find and test a different ground.
What he said...

You can get those wire T-taps at radio shack if you don't have them. Mine only came with one so I went and got more for about $1.50
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Thats the kind of info I was looking for, thats, I'll go grab some of those wire taps.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by ohthree
Thats the kind of info I was looking for, thats, I'll go grab some of those wire taps.
Here you go...

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

well.. i bought some terminals instead of wire taps, hooked the black wire and white wire up yet didnt do the grey since i don't need it at the moment. connected the negative terminal back on, car starts yet no power to the timer. checked those RRE instructions and everything is in place just like it says, i'm using the correct ecu pins and everything...
i figure i'm just going to try connecting it to the battery and see if there is a bigger problem with the timer.

Last edited by ohthree; Jul 25, 2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE - i tried grounding the wire to the negative side of the battery, turned the car on... nothing. is there like an on/off switch i dont know about
Old Jul 25, 2008, 03:10 PM

No there isn't an on/off switch... I would recheck the harness.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

the car starts, the harness is plugged in snug into both sides and connected the the relay fine. i took it out of ecu pin 26 and i'm just gonna try grounding it to something else in my free time.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

bump anyone have an idea? i think im just going to get it looked at.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ak47po

Do they have one for the HKS turbo timer?