Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will future evo's be able to keep up??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The cars that have been competing in the past were never the US 280hp versions... They were always beefed up evos.

Not much has changed between the 9 and 10 other than some extra weight for safety
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
ill tell you what..... say 2 people were given $60k to go buy a car (new 08 model)whatever money they had leftover from the purchase would be spent on performance parts and then they go race at a track......

person #1 buys a new 08 bmw m3 for $56k.... he has $4k left.... odds are if hes smart, he'll buy aggressive tires (around $1500), and have $2500 left for either boltons or suspension.. and on a bmw, parts arent cheap

person #2 buys the new evo X for $33k (gsr, not mr).... so he has $27k to spend on his car ...... id say $8k in a perfect suspension setup, $4k on wheels and tires with a very aggressive offset, $2k on body mods (canards, wing, lip, etc), and still have $10k+ to build the motor.....

so..... who do you think is gonna dominate at the track??? my money would be on the evo! but honestly.... you put $4-5Kinto an evo x and i bet it will out handle and out accelerate alot of those cars mentioned earlier.. and still be undr $40k
Old Jul 29, 2008, 11:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
true to a certain extent... The bmw offer more than performance... The bmw is worth every penny at 56k and the evo is worth every penny at 33k. You get your money worth either way....

Theres always a better bang for the buck... You can take almost any jap rwd and run with an evo for much less money... 240 with 10k into it for example..

The evo is a great all around platform just like the STI and thats what makes it great. Its good for those who want to do a little extra and still have reliability. I dont think the X is a downgrade at all. Its still a very new car and has a long way to go to find the max potential.

Look at the guys in PR.... Gutted the car, bolt ons, slicks running 10's already.... Theyre the real innovators, taking nothing and making it something..... Theyll have the X in the 9's in no time the way these guys work.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by vipers
ill tell you what..... say 2 people were given $60k to go buy a car (new 08 model)whatever money they had leftover from the purchase would be spent on performance parts and then they go race at a track......

person #1 buys a new 08 bmw m3 for $56k.... he has $4k left.... odds are if hes smart, he'll buy aggressive tires (around $1500), and have $2500 left for either boltons or suspension.. and on a bmw, parts arent cheap

person #2 buys the new evo X for $33k (gsr, not mr).... so he has $27k to spend on his car ...... id say $8k in a perfect suspension setup, $4k on wheels and tires with a very aggressive offset, $2k on body mods (canards, wing, lip, etc), and still have $10k+ to build the motor.....

so..... who do you think is gonna dominate at the track??? my money would be on the evo! but honestly.... you put $4-5Kinto an evo x and i bet it will out handle and out accelerate alot of those cars mentioned earlier.. and still be undr $40k
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The major problem is not the price.

Why does a performance car need a room for more than one person, the driver? Why does it have to be tall, wide and strong enough to accomodate someone who is 6'9" and weigh 350lbs? Why does the car have to be stiffer if it has already reached the point where flexing won't hinder the performance? Why does it need sound insulation? Why does it need so much wiring?
If you build the car to remain as basic as cars in the 60's, then add the brakes, suspension, transmission, drivetrain, fuel system and engine using the latest technology, the cars would be cheap and fast.

People are too spoiled with comfort these days, with the type of comfort that make you get fat and vulnurable to diseases.

If you think this would be a step backwards in automotive history, why do sportsbikes still offer only single seat, no a/c or heater, no radio, no storage room, no wild safety ideas, and still sell well, and remain affordable? They have been getting lighter and more powerful day by day. Other than automating a lot of manipulation work to operate, there hasn't been any comfort feature that was invented and added to performance oriented motorcycles. To people that want everything in their car should just buy an RV, they even come with ovens and waterbasins, on top of all the stuff you see in 'pimp my ride'.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=360023

... nope.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

ppl.....

be grateful about the way the EVO is......
Im sure if it was 70k starting price, would be insanely fast and nothing more than a wet dream for most of us.......

If you need a faster EVO, mitsu gave you the base, you can mod it.....
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

I personally thought that mitsu would go all out with the X, and they should have. as the video states that the evo 9 is better that the X in everything, apparently its not enough for it to atleast be the same, we want a huge difference in power, handling and everything.

The X is more user friendly, but I want an evo, if I wanted a user friendly car I would of gotten a new BMW 3 series. but I want a car that can handle my driving.

I still remember when my wife first sat in my car, she was amazed at what I saw in it, there was nothing... at that time not even a stock radio. literally there was nothing inside, but then that's the point, I told her you dont understand what I want from this car, its not comfort, its performance.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

stock evo 9 would kill even a stock R34 GT-R, I saw it myself, why because there was a huge difference in every version of the evo, the R34 GTR was what 280hp? look at it now, its 480hp. Mitsubishi get back in the game!!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Shocky
I personally thought that mitsu would go all out with the X, and they should have. as the video states that the evo 9 is better that the X in everything, apparently its not enough for it to atleast be the same, we want a huge difference in power, handling and everything.
Mitsubishi never hits hardest with their first punch with a new platform making its debut. The '03 Evo VIII is evidence of that with its 271 hp and 273 lb.-ft, which was bumped up a bit in '05 and more so in '06, as we all know. Rest assured that later models will have gains to bring it up to speed, no pun intended. I probably said this earlier, but remember that Road & Track was stating that the X would have as much as 320 hp, so there's still a lot of potential.

Originally Posted by Shocky
stock evo 9 would kill even a stock R34 GT-R, I saw it myself, why because there was a huge difference in every version of the evo, the R34 GTR was what 280hp? look at it now, its 480hp. Mitsubishi get back in the game!!
The R34 GT-R was known to be underrated like most Japanese cars at the time. The rumor was that its actual output was somewhere between 320 and 340 hp.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Perhaps being a designer for a Jap. OEM I come from a different stand point. There is a lot more to researching, designing, and manufacturing a vehicle than what meets the eye.

Is the X falling behind in today's market?... IMO of course not, don't forget the X has new technology items through its drivetrain and new engine platform. I think it is impressive that all that the X has it is not that much more expensive than its predecessor.

Of course many ppl are going to have mixed feelings over the X and IX and it's mainly over performance. Lets not forget that this site is a common ground for car enthusiasts who adore PERFORMANCE. Lets be real here, performance alone is NOT going to sell 30,000+ vehicles for $30K+ (production volume is a very generic low volume number. I have no clue what it actually is for the next few yrs.).

Even though many of us love our EVO's and may think they are the best vehicles on the planet, the competitor market will still stay very similar, STI, Speed6, now the G8, and perhaps even a boxster. IMO mits. is not going to attack a market of vehicles acouple grade steps above the EVO, like the GTR, Z06/ZR1, 911GT2/3, NSX etc. These types of vehicles are alot more powerful then the EVO's powerplant, and to warranty a 400+hp vehicle is going to come from a lot more than 2.0L I-4. Of course many of us have very high HP 2.0L's, but they won't last 60k miles easily and they arn't massed produced, trying to warranty that would be very foolish.

Im sure Mits. could produce a very powerful engine to compete in the plus 400hp race, but such a direction change for a manufacturer would be extremely risky and such a high risk idea would most likely be discarded by a Japanese OEM. If you look at warranty claims or IQS reports, Mits. isn't really at the top of the list for quality/reliability, and warranty claims cost $100million throughout a product lineup.

Remember this is just my $.02, what do I know?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 04:09 PM

The evo is getting heavier and slower for saftey. i mean you could throw 10k into a evo and get 30k out lol.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jwblack911
The evo is getting heavier and slower for saftey. i mean you could throw 10k into a evo and get 30k out lol.
Ummmm no. The evo is getting heavier and slower because of all the added technology and creature comforts.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Ummmm no. The evo is getting heavier and slower because of all the added technology and creature comforts.
Not really. Yes, some of those things do add weight, but the bulk of the weight increase is because of the car now being safer in terms of its ability to sustain damage better thanks to additions to its frame that also make it stiffer (let's not forget how terrible the crash ratings were for the older Evo) and the fact that it has six or seven airbags now.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Not really. Yes, some of those things do add weight, but the bulk of the weight increase is because of the car now being safer in terms of its ability to sustain damage better thanks to additions to its frame that also make it stiffer (let's not forget how terrible the crash ratings were for the older Evo) and the fact that it has six or seven airbags now.

This is indeed typically true, but of course all those fancy gizmo's add weight as well. Making a white body stiffer and weigh less or the same cost $$$. Previous evo's did have horrible crash ratings for side impact...

Does the X have side airbags?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

im glad I got a reasonably decent debate over this.

I understand the Evo is a GREAT car! It's awesome in so many ways....

I also understand the evos competing against those big cars are the FQ's. I'm just curious if the evo is just going to fade away as the car of the past or if it will be able to continue on given the kind of cars these higher end companies are producing. The Evo has had a long run so far. It's pushing 20 years... I'm going to jump off the band wagon for a sec and say I'm going to have a hard time defending my car on this one... but i still love it! Mitsu dropped out of the WRC right? I think the evo is going to toss into a TOTALLY new direction eventually... hell maybe a 2 door coupe with a diff name will replace it haha

It's a hardcore car that dances, darts, and doesnt give a damn about you once ur behind the wheel..it just wants u to make it do work! lol

do you see what im saying?

Quick Reply: Will future evo's be able to keep up??