Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Will future evo's be able to keep up??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will future evo's be able to keep up??

This is NOT an EVO X HATE THREAD! I happen to of grown fond of the EVO X. This is another lame forum ***** thread... but listen for a sec.

The evo through its life span has been able to keep up with the best of the best. As we saw, it races planes, lambo's, 911 turbos (996) and so on. It came to america known as the car under 40k that can compete with cars priced WAYYYYYY higher. Also a rally bred street car and a car that could dance circles around other cars. (to me at least)

I was looking at the new m3 which has ITB's and so many other cool features that totally blow my mind, zr1, gtr, 997 turbo, the technology with this concept audi v12 TDI with like 800 ft lbs of tourque or something rediculous like that with under a 5k redline... I think technology is becoming to advanced and too severe for the evo to keep up its under 40k image... all the cars it USED to keep up with are just skyyyyyyyyrocketing past the competition by a long shot. there used to be threads about evo's vs z06... what about the evo X vs z06? new vs new.. evo used to compare to the m3... new vs new again..evo vs skyline... see what im saying?

Could this possibly be the reason why a lot of evo X's arnt selling? It's not the price cause believe me.. im sure these other higher priced cars are selling JUST as much....

yes top gear says the evo handels like a dream but what about everything else? while the Evo gets better for cheap..all these other cars that people ARE spending the money on are just getting completly insane.

BUT I STILL LOVE THE EVO!! but now for sure if i had 100g to spend on a car... the evo would be gone in a heart beat. 5 years ago, there was nothing else id rather choose performance wise.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

What can you realistically expect for 32k? The other cars are racing past the Evo because they have MUCH bigger budgets. There is a limit to what Mitsu can do with the budget they have. I'm sure if Mitsu made a car that cost $70k+ it would be right up their with the GTR and Z06 in terms of performance. But people aren't going to pay anywhere near that much for a Mitsubishi, even if it did have amazing performance.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
What can you realistically expect for 32k? The other cars are racing past the Evo because they have MUCH bigger budgets. There is a limit to what Mitsu can do with the budget they have. I'm sure if Mitsu made a car that cost $70k+ it would be right up their with the GTR and Z06 in terms of performance. But people aren't going to pay anywhere near that much for a Mitsubishi, even if it did have amazing performance.
my thoughts exactly
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

oh i understand that completly. What im saying is the evo used to be able to keep up with those cars thats were 70k+. But the cars up in that price range are becoming out of control and technology is only getting better and better... but not cheaper. If the evo wants to keep up, I think they would have to jack up the price to keep the image. These cars that are 70K or even the m3 are becoming SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth the money.

my point is, will the furute evo's be able to keep up their image against all these higher priced insane cars.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by j14mp
oh i understand that completly. What im saying is the evo used to be able to keep up with those cars thats were 70k+. But the cars up in that price range are becoming out of control and technology is only getting better and better... but not cheaper. If the evo wants to keep up, I think they would have to jack up the price to keep the image. These cars that are 70K or even the m3 are becoming SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth the money.

my point is, will the furute evo's be able to keep up their image against all these higher priced insane cars.
No, it wont. But it will kill anything in its price range. Thats for sure
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I believe that for the most part the reason that the evo was able to keep up with all these other cars was because of its amazing ability to adapt to simple bolt-ons, create incredible power and still keep its price under all these cars. Either way Mitsubishi should come up with a better version of the evo, like the FQ series in England, to keep up with the competition but still keep their prices to a reasonable level.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

In the past you got more performance per dollar from the evo compared to the competition then you do now.

It kinda sucks....but it is what it is.

I remember when the 03 evo came out, performance wise it was beating 911's, M3's, corvettes, and almost everything inbetween. Don't quote me on this but i remember an article in one of the magazines "Evo Vs the World".

I doubt we'll see any article's like that with the X.

now it's being compared to the mazdaspeed 3, Sti (which sucks compard to the last one) BMW 135i, and many other cars that are in it's similar price range. Not that i'm knocking their performance abilities.......but it's just not the same game it used to be for the evo.

hence for the obvious reasons and many others, i'm not a fan of the X. IMO it doesn't stand out performance wise like it used to. To me, it just seems to blend in with the rest of the competition.

my .02
Flame away.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolving Member

+1 Absolutely, technology costs money end of story. You want to compete put in the tech and you are in competition. They just had an article with an 30k upgraded evo VIII against a viper to just prove part of this fact.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The Evo is just becoming less of a performance bargain than before. Not that it still isn't one, but the overall bang-for-the-buck appeal of the original $28,987 '03 Evo VIII made a better argument for purchase. Then consider the fact that Mitsubishi wants to stay true to its roots and stick with a 2.0-liter four-cylinder (which I don't mind) obviously limits its power output, special versions aside (i.e., FQ models). So while the cars that the VIII and IX could hang with have had serious upgrades (i.e., the M3 going from a 3.2-liter I-6 to a 4.0-liter V-8, the Corvette going from a 5.7-liter V-8 to a 6.0-liter V-8 then to a 6.2-liter V-8 or the Porsche 911 getting slight displacement increases), the Evo X has had to make do with 2.0 liters, getting modest power output increases in every market, though those bumps are hardly sufficient to make it even as quick as the outgoing model considering the weight increases it has had from the IX to the X.

But at the same time, the other supercars mentioned aren't nearly as restrained, as their engine sizes increase after every generation while their pricetags increase by pretty drastic increments. While comparisons were drawn, the Evo wasn't meant to go head-to-head with these cars, so I don't really feel too bad when the X is struggling accelerate alongside a IX while the current Z06s have a full 100 hp over the previous ones. It's just that the more legitimate supercars have the room to make bigger leaps.

Mitsubishi obviously left a decent amount of tuning potential in the 4B11 in factory tune, so perhaps the next X or the XI will pack a much more powerful punch. Just remember how the '03 VIII went from 271 hp and 273 lb.-ft to 286 hp and 289 lb.-ft in the '06 IX--reasonable gains. Also, recall that the original speculation was putting the Evo X at over 300 hp, with rumors going as high as 320 hp, so you figure we may see the next X bumped to 300 hp with the XI going a bit beyond that. Unfortunately we'll never see an Evo here with FQ-like power, but hopefully these expected increases should allow the 4B11-powered Evos be as quick as (or hopefully a hair quicker than) the CT9As while preserving the much sharper handling. Let's not forget that the Evo X has posted as high as 1.03g on the skidpad (read this month's Automobile magazine), so combine that with 300+ hp to better propel the heavier car and it should be more competitive.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

With all due respect to the street king, the evo.
Nissan went all out with the GTR, its my second car for sure when I get the $$$, its in a whole new league, a daily driver that fast and still without any mods is insane.
I made the evo fast myself, but the GTR is fast by itself! gadgets that and stuff that are faced to you for your enjoyment, I saw the video when they were testing it with four flat tires!!! man he was driving 80kps and the wheel was straight! they really over did it with this one. I dont know if the evo can do the same on its budget but when the going gets tough, and a modded evo comes along it would my top car!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the future evos have lost sight of the beginning, where galant meets lancer to make a lighter rally competitor. We will see. Im not convinced that the newest version is along those lines. Id like to see the gtr in rally, not to discredit the super car. The evo has become Americanized
Old Jul 29, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

I remember creating a thread like this few months ago, but I had a hard time convincing people that EVO's performance against the rest of production cars of its time is getting worse every model after EVO 6. Only problem is that majority of people here aren't that familiar with Evo I to VI, and GC8 Subaru's (the older boxy ones).

Evo I - 250ps, 2600lbs in RS trim
WRX STi Type RA - 275ps, 2600lbs

vs

NSX-R (1992) - 280ps, 2700lbs
Skyline GT-R R32 - 280ps (underrated), 3200lbs
Supra Turbo Mk.3 - 280ps (in Japan towards the end of production), 3400lbs
MR-2 Turbo - 225ps (1992 spec), 2700lbs
Fairlady Z (Z32) - 280ps, 3400lbs
Civic Si-R (EG6) - 170ps, 2300lbs
BMW M3 E36 3.0 - 286hp, 3100lbs
911 (964) Turbo 3.3 (3.6 360hp came out in 1993) - 320hp, 3200lbs
Lamborghini Diablo - 485hp, 3600lbs
Dodge Viper - 400hp, 3400lbs
Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - 375hp, 3500lbs
Ferrari 348tb - 300hp, 3100lbs
Ferrari F40 - 478hp, 2400lbs

These hp/weight figures are just rough, rounded numbers, and more importantly, the two street rally cars would've smoked everything listed above short of F40 in lightweight trim (RS for Evo, type RA for STi) on any reputable tracks.

at that time the Toyota Camry V6 (Toyota Scepter) was making 185hp and weighed 2900lbs. 1/4 mile was probably in the 16 seconds, whereas today's one would be in mid 14's, making 275hp.

Too bad Mitsubishi as a whole isn't doing as well as they did up to early 90's, now they have to worry purely about profit/loss level rather than the purpose of the car. The market trend for a vehicle to 'have everything' forces evo to be less competititve, other cars would gain more power and bigger brakes from this, while all evo would receive is bigger body and more comfort features.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:01 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if they make FQ340, FQ360 then it may have a chance stock, instead of aftermarket modding which will surely be able to compete with the other cars mentioned but not as a stock vehicle.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi won't make a "supercar" type Evo for one reason; very few will buy it.

Will a lot of people want it? Sure, but how many of those people can afford it? Most of us bought a Evo because we LOVE performance, but we simply cant swing the hefty price tag of a Porchse or something simular, or we cant justify having a high performance car that we can only drive on the weekends.

Plus how many people except for for prior Mitsubishi nerds will buy one. Look at the Acura NSX. Theres an $80,000 that very very few people will buy.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
after reading all of this, it makes me sad.........its a remarkable car FOR ITS PRICE!

i understand in the past, the evo could keep up with some of these high end cars... and now it cant...... the difference... mitsu has made EVERY new evo better than it predicessor for nearly the same coin as the older model...or pretty close..... whereas all those cars mentioned prices have all gone sky high, and reserved for only rich people......

the great thing about the evo, is its attainable to us normal people! STILL! mitsu could easily make a super-evo, that would pounce the new GTR, or viper, or z06, etc... but nobody would buy it, and the evo would then become just another car we cant afford.......

so for what you pay for an evo, it hangs pretty well with cars at least twice its pricetag! and thats all that matter!

Last edited by vipers; Jul 29, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Will future evo's be able to keep up??