Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I bought my car listed as stock and I find out it's not

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my car listed as stock and I find out it's not

It's an 05 MR had like 18,100 miles on it (2 months ago). And I recently checked out the 2 step. It stops at about 5,600 rpms. So the funny thing is that I take it to a Mitsu dealer for an oil change and to talk to them about extended warranties. They look over the car and say it's all stock and they can offer me a 5 year blah blah blah. If they did their homework they would realize it was flashed. They might know this and simply lied to me (I wasn't present for the inspection). They could have gotten $1250 out of me for the warranty and with the first problem I had they could have turned me away saying it was flashed. Dealers are shady. Or who knows, maybe they simple didn't check it. I'm sure they would though if I took it in for repair work. So what do I do now? Is there any way to get a stock flash back onto the car? I'm glad I didn't buy the warranty cause I didn't know about this car being modded until a few days after being at the dealer.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe you can just load a stock map from another evo onto your car if you go to any tuner near you. Mitsu dealers do suck when it comes to warranty repairs
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by porsherules911
I believe you can just load a stock map from another evo onto your car if you go to any tuner near you. Mitsu dealers do suck when it comes to warranty repairs
Ding Ding Ding.

Have a tuner flash the stock map on.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Didn't 05's and 06's have a stationary rev limiter from the factory? It might still be a stock map.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you know the car was flashed? Are you basing it on the rev limiter? Either way from what people have told me, even if you bring a car to the dealer that has been flashed, they won't know nor do they check. But thats what I was told... not sure if thats entirely true
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Geico sells an extended warranty with 250 deductible, great for modded cars.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
like was already said, just grab any local tuner and throw on the stock map
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Problem is he already took it to the dealer and they may know.
They could be crooks and just take his money for the warranty and when he comes for repairs tell him the car's ecu has been modified and it wouldn't matter if it was stock then,since they have record of it now.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock Limiter is set at 5000 stock... I can almost promise you they didnt know it was tuned, thats not something they normally check for, and they definitely shouldn't be 2steping your car to try to void your warranty... or would they... =-(

A tactrix cable can be purchased for $90 then you have the ability to learn to tune yourself, get tuned by someone like me or get help putting a stock flash on your car. Chances are your cars tuned for different mods and the guy took everything off and left it on there. Or he may have copied the fuel and timing from a stock map... even worse he could have possibly put a really, nasty map for the next owner to suffer... Yes i've seen that before....

Cheers!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

the real problem here is dealers probably wont hook to your ecu unless you have a check engine light on. dont worry about it. you should be fine.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's not a guarantee it's modded or tuned.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denile
Problem is he already took it to the dealer and they may know. They could be crooks and just take his money for the warranty and when he comes for repairs tell him the car's ecu has been modified and it wouldn't matter if it was stock then,since they have record of it now.
Exactly my friend!

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
That's not a guarantee it's modded or tuned.
I'm holding the clutch in giving it some gas and the tach bounces around 5600. It's supposed to be 5,000 stock. Are you saying maybe the Two Step was adjusted, but nothing else was touched on the ECU?

I have a friend that has the software and connector, I guess I just need to find a stock flash and we could probably do it ourselves if I ever needed to take it to a dealer for warranty work. Thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:59 PM
Account Disabled

Dealers can't tell that it's been flashed, or at least, they don't have the software needed to "see" the map. They can only flash over it with a factory map. I was speaking with our regional rep at our dealer and he was very surprised at the software avail. to be able to tune/see the maps.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cfetter
Dealers can't tell that it's been flashed, or at least, they don't have the software needed to "see" the map. They can only flash over it with a factory map. I was speaking with our regional rep at our dealer and he was very surprised at the software avail. to be able to tune/see the maps.
Good Info! Thanks a bunch!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

now the real question is why are you taking it to your dealer for an oil change?