Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

An Inconvenient Truth… About JDM - aka "The Death of Innovation"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, as for me, I will always buy top quality parts from Japan for my ride
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having a hard time trying to type out my thoughts and had to edit my post a bunch of times....I'm not saying the Voltex product is not worth it's cost.

1. People buying the knock-offs are doing it for the look not the function.

Maybe they will be punished when the cheaper product fails and blows off the car. I've seen it before with cheap carbon hoods.

2. If the Voltex is truly superior, it will proven with the mentioned wind tunnel and track tests.

A side by side fit and finish comparison never hurts..usually that's where knock-offs just fail.

3. It's still ugly....But I do understand function over form when it comes to racing.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Voltex have already proven itself, i.e CyberEVO... it spanked everyone at VIR a few years ago. If they are not functional.. I don't know what that is..

But they are expensive.. so if you break something.. its always expensive to replace.. but I guess that really separates the Men from the Boyz..
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
Because when you are racing, it gets expensive.. and **** do break.. so cheaper the better.

So now pick your poison
That's where I disagree.

If you don't want **** to break.....then you buy quality parts. With quality comes price.

And if it's quality..it doesn't matter where it was made.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:17 PM
Former Sponsor

... Honestly, that makes me think. There may be a small factor in all of this which we have not properly explained in the past. Do people know why these items are made, and the price they are set at?

With a wide demographic of people in the industry, its hard to really show the logical side that these products go much further than just having a name of "it's JDM- hard to find". Yeah these parts are cool to show at your local meet, and yeah it might impress a crowd of people in a Best Buy parking lot, but in the end, thats not why these products were made.

We (as in all of us who bring these beautiful products into the US for the consumer to buy) need to start reaching the market of which the products were originally intended for. Thankfully this trend of proper marketing is slowly starting to take place, and more of the american public are getting a better understanding of why we use these parts to begin with. But in the end we have only scratched the surface and still have a ways to go.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gabriel J
That's where I disagree.

If you don't want **** to break.....then you buy quality parts. With quality comes price.

And if it's quality..it doesn't matter where it was made.
Are you saying all Aero kits should be made indestructible???

EVEN CFRP can be destroyed during racing.. you cant predict whats going to happen..
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the update driveline, I will gladly take the FPR hood from Voltex than the Seibon hood, the quality and fitment is just garbage. It's pretty funny, two of the same hoods on two evo's side by side, one fit and the other one didn't. Goes to show how well made Seibon parts are.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by timmiii
Thanks for the update driveline, I will gladly take the FPR hood from Voltex than the Seibon hood, the quality and fitment is just garbage. It's pretty funny, two of the same hoods on two evo's side by side, one fit and the other one didn't. Goes to show how well made Seibon parts are.
I definitely agree w/ this. I have seen both products side by side in person
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Are you saying all Aero kits should be made indestructible???

EVEN CFRP can be destroyed during racing.. you cant predict whats going to happen..
Carbon parts certainly can be destroyed in racing. The idea of paying for a quality product is that it would outlast it's cheaper counterpart....The "idea" isn't necessarily always true.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Knock off's ftl.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DrivelineSales
With a wide demographic of people in the industry, its hard to really show the logical side that these products go much further than just having a name of "it's JDM- hard to find". Yeah these parts are cool to show at your local meet, and yeah it might impress a crowd of people in a Best Buy parking lot, but in the end, thats not why these products were made.
The true hardcore racing enthusiast know the reasons for the cost..But they are the smallest minority in this industry. The purchases they make wouldn't keep most vendors in business. In a way you need the "All show, no go" guys to keep them going.

Most vendors make thousands importing "JDM" tail lamps and headlights...do they offer any performance gain? No, but they look AWESOME at the best buy parking lot.

-Gabe
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gabriel J
Carbon parts certainly can be destroyed in racing. The idea of paying for a quality product is that it would outlast it's cheaper counterpart....The "idea" isn't necessarily always true.
yeah but majority of the products on the market isn't always "Quality"... more of all show than go..
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

ive never had any problems with seibon yet ... but then again i dont have very many seibon stuff lol

I <3 JDM =)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

hahaha you don't make **** importing JDM Taillights..

The margin is really thin when it comes to OEM parts from Japan.

You would be surprised..
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

yeah but majority of the products on the market isn't always "Quality"... more of all show than go..
I agree 100%.

Quick Reply: An Inconvenient Truth… About JDM - aka "The Death of Innovation"