Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Mods for me....More Power

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Post

If you can tell me in a PM how to send a video of my cars idle, I will send it to you. How on earth James got these cams to run so smooth is beyond me. It lopes yes....but in a good way...you would never know there are 280's in there that is for sure....I can try to take a video on my cell, and upload it but how? or maybe I can just email it to you if you provide me your email through a PM? Let me know......
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Man I can't wait to get those cams put on!

I'd love to see a vid of the idle/rev too if possible
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet setup bro
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

Thanks Everyone for all your possitive remarks on my car. Really makes me feel good I chose the right bits you know? Again Thanks. I know a few people were asking me about the M3 cams on the IX vs. their friends evo 8? I would love to send a video file if I find out how to do it. haha. Rookie video taker I guess, haha. Anyway, keep in mind that the MIVEC system unique to the IX allows the computer (especially so tuned) to smooth out that rough idle that was found on the 8. In order to even get close to this idle you would have to have cam gears and someone near genus to tune it right with the advance and retard of those gears to get it right. Basically trial and error. On the IX, the ECU catchs things better and smooths it out with a proper MIVEC Map. James worked really hard to get my car to run smoothly because its a daily driven car. End result is astonishing. I will do my best to get a video for you guys. But its smooth, but its just addictive sound it really is. As for power, I have been asked allot in PM's on this. The power down low is not as good as running stock cams, or even M2's or 272's I would imagine. So I lost TQ down low. But in contrast, the car has a more "usable" power band, meaning it pulls all the way to redline, and if you thought your car does now?? Try these cams, haha. Its amazing, I even shifted early at first out of habbit when I first got back after the tune. I realize, wait, there is power there now, haha. So, its a trade off....down low affected slightly, but top end is very good, and will only get better with a bigger breathing turbo. If I could run Meth, or race gas, I could run more boost on the stock turbo, but would not be practical. Only Negative thus far. The A/C on drops the idle too much with the cams. The ECU corrects itself, but its something I can live with. Plus, I just checked my MPG today, 21mpg mixed driving, and thats after hot rodding around town with a strange STi that thought he could take me. haha....still pulled 21mpg! Thats just the icing on the cake!!! Thanks again everyone for all your input.......Really appreciate it.....
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Stop turbo pulls hard to 7900 rpms? I just cant see that. 26 psi on 91 octance? Can't see that either. Lets see a Dyno Graph, im really interested. Glad your happy with the car though.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

my post

yes stock evo 9 turbo...yes pulls strong to 7900 redline....yes all on 91...I need some help on posting a video clip and for posting the dyno sheet...but I am not here to throw lies around? I'm not some punk kid. I'm a 35 yr old guy with 2 kids...I don't need to lie about my car. haha have other things to worry about...if your ever in the imperial valley look me up and I will let you drive my car...the car will prove itself...without a piece of paper saying so....thanks too all the people who replied....be safe.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:40 PM

i have alot of the same mods..... its awsome to see what other cars put down....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by YzBrad99
Stop turbo pulls hard to 7900 rpms? I just cant see that. 26 psi on 91 octance? Can't see that either. Lets see a Dyno Graph, im really interested. Glad your happy with the car though.
I'm with this guy. I'm happy you enjoy the car but the stock turbo runs out of breath a little before 7k. The power of the cams is probably what you're feeling at 7900. But the turbo is way out of its efficiency at that point. Watch your boost gauge. Boost probably drops off to 17-18 at that RPM range.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

My Post

I think I must have stated something wrong, or something, If I made everyone think the car was pulling strong on turbo juice alone that is not correct. The Stock Turbo Does hold boost and tapers gradually, I believe 22 PSI, or close to that at redline, 26 peak but I will ask James who tuned my car. With the GM Boost Sylinoid its able to do that. Dont ask how, I don't know, but it does, I see it pegging 1.5 bar all the way to redline, so go figure. But the Cams do their job at this RPM anyway. At 6200 RPM on my Dyno sheet there is a 40whp difference with the M3 cams vs. stock cams. Its not just boost, no, its the bits working in harmony. Don't Hate and never say never. That is what the Evo is all about anyway. I will keep you guys and gals posted.......There is something else brewing in the near future....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:09 PM

That sounds really great! congrats on expanding your Evo's capabilities! You're gonna love it!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:11 PM
Account Disabled

Bump for vids...Nice choice on cams too
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

On the GM Sylinoid, James tuned it actually, but the Sylinod is modified by James himself to be infinately changable. Its an amazing thing, and what exactly James did to it to make it so useful? You would have to call and ask, but it has helped my car maintain boost in a way that I can maintain boost through my entire RPM band. It does taper yes....but very gradually, and it pins my stock boost gauge at past 1.5 bar floored all the way to 7900rpm. Am I crazy? or just good tuning? I go with a little of both haha.......Really Thanks everyone, I just love this car, its just a blast to drve. Next up when the money tree grows more leaves...FP Red Turbo, O2 housing with external Dump, Intercooler upgrade, Throttle Body, re tuned, to hoping over 400whp on 91....Impossible??? mmmmmmmm we will see...........
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:10 PM

nice numbers for a 91oct street car.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:22 AM

Cool my mods

The 2005 MR mods:
2005 Lancer Evolution MR 320 awhp

6 speed, ice cold ac, power window, power lock,smoked tail lights, rally style headlight yellow film, C-west style full bodykit, APR wing, JIC flta2 front 12kg rear 14kg, JBT 6 piston brakes, RH J10 wheels 18x9 time attack, Federal DOT race tire 265/35/18, Sparco Corsa bucket seats, Buddyclub cams 272 in/ex, greddy cam gears, act lightened flywheel, act stage 2 clutch, HKS turbo timer, Megan down pipe,

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4...mera001ok4.jpg

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1...mera017ih2.jpg