Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Mods for me....More Power

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Mods for me....More Power

Just got my car completed yesterday. Had the Cams, springs/retainers, fuel pump, head studs, intake, and injectores installed at Reese Tuning in San Diego. List of all mods thus for on my signature. I was not sure if I wanted to go with the M3 Cosi Cams at first for fear of drivability issues. This is a daily driven car. So, I said what the heck and did it. The car idles very smoothly for having such an aggressive cam. As expected lower RPM power is not great, as with any EVO, more so with a 280 Intake cam, but the magic RPM on the car now is around the 3800 rpm range where the car just rockets and pulls all the way to the new 7900 rpm redline, making power all the way, whilie maintaing 26 psi of boost. The car is very quick, idles smoothly (except when A/C on at idle, we just can't seem to correct it right now even after the tune of primary and secondary idles on the ECU) but the car is a blast to drive and put down decent numbers even though the Shop was 100F while doing the dyno pulls! It still pulled a max of 340whp and 330wtq, if it was a cooler day I feel I could of got into the mid to high 340's but its running 91 octane, of which I feel is best since Gas is expensive enough already, and for availabilty of the gas. Again, its a daily driver. Next up? I am thinking a Meth Kit, Throttle Body, and 02 housing upgrade. 400whp I think will be my magic stop number........but then again, I said that 2 tunes ago!! Thanks To Allen, James, Morgan, and Clint at Reese Tuning. They made it all Happen, now waiting for the money tree to grow some more leaves.....haha.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sound like you will be having a lil more fun now
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

my post

yeah the car is allot of fun...never really meant to do this much to it. It was fine as it was stock. But over time, you get used to the power, and I realized that so much more was possible. Once a decent tuner open semi close to me (130 miles) that I could trust to actually do the ECU tuning and actually has an AWD dyno, I felt why not. Money is always an issue with everyone, so I do things as the money comes. It is allot of fun. I don't really drag race anywhere, closest strip is an Hour and a Half away, but would actually like to road race the car one day. But, it gets me to and from work, and I have fun with it.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice setup. How much you pay for the installation?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:54 PM

nice setup!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:58 PM
Account Disabled

Is this a conservative tune?

I was just tuned and the numbers are way different and I don't even have cams yet. See Sig.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

looks good, I was looking at doing cams on my IX and wanted to see what type of gains I would recieve by just doing that. Buuuuut I dunno if youll really beable to tell me since it looks like you did more than just cams at one time. You have any dyno pulls b4 all the mods went on?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

91 Octane but with cams. I don't have cams...
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

My Post

Well, there are many factors to weigh in when getting the car tuned. When my car was bone stock it dynoed at 258whp/251wtq bone stock. Then the Exhaust, LICP and a K&N Drop in and tune yeilded me 315whp/340 wtq...then with what you see in my signature, it is 340whp/330wtq. Could I see more power OH YES. These cams are really set up for use with a bigger turbo, or a beefed up turbo like a FP Green or FP Red, to really see the power from the cams. Can you see 400whp on stock cams? Yes. But the power will be spikey. My power band starts at 3500 and gains power till the 7900 fuel cut. No Frickin way you will get that on stock cams. You can run Race Gas, Head studs, Intake and Exhaust, max your stock Evo 9 Turbo at 30 PSI and see 400whp, but it would be real awkward to drive. I am more into reliable, dependable, Usuable power througout the power band. I know most tuners will build you what you want. Tell you what you want to hear, to get your cash, but I know at Reese Tuning in San Diego, they won't tell you one thing, and you get another. The cams lost me torque, for now, but later when I get my FP Red Turbo, my 02 housing and throttle body on Meth? I will see a daily driven 400whp, Reliable Evo. And any tuner here won't argue with that. I can try to scan my Dyno Sheet but it never works on here, I am not doing something right. But the car actually feels on full throttle like your driving through a big puddle of water, the car gets light on its feet. So wider tires for a little more traction may be needed. I am guessing how the car sits now can run low 12's on 91 gas. If your in the San Diego Area, I would at least take a visit to Reese Tuning in Santee. I am no salesmen. But they are good people. Allen that works there runs an Evo 8 that is Wicked fast to say the least, holds one of the fastest 1/8 mile times in San Diego at Qualcom. I believe its in the low 7's. James, the Owner is getting an EVO RS to build as a time attack car. On top of it all they are just good guys. If you have any questions on my mods, let me know, I will be more than happy to answer anything. Till then.......stay cool.....be safe......

Last edited by Jeffs2006EVOIX; Jul 31, 2008 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

oh yeah guys forgot to add, one reason too for the slight hp loss is the High Flow cat......with a cat delete, it would run better, but stinky as hell.......haha.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

congrats on the great numbers man
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

post up a video of idle with the m3 cams..

and the dyno sheet!!!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

GOOD JOB!!! I can't wait to get my tune. I keep tyring to save up for it but I always end up spending it.

New Computer w/ 22 inch monitor FTW!!!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

congrats to you... and props to alan and james for doing it again!

clean rr evo man!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

The Post

Anything you do to the Evo is going to be some kind of comprimise. I like you, want the same thing. Reliability, dependabiltiy, and safety. With my most recent mods, it was a big jump for me. No one twisted my arm, but I bought this car to have fun with. The Cams make less torque now, but in some parts of my powerband, I gained 40whp in areas where the car previously lost its breath. Plus the cams are just a step stone to a bigger or higher flowing turbo like a FP Green. I wanted to run my car on 91 since I can buy it anywhere, and I wanted to keep my car legal, my car still passes smog. I run all CARB approved parts, and a HI-Flow Cat. James Does have you sign a waiver though since some parts put on are for "off road use only" which all tuners have you sign to cover themselves legally. Right now, with the M3 cams, my car idles sweet, and smooth, but it lopes, but in a good way, kinda Rally Car sounding, how ironic? But, when the A/C is on, the cams un so much vacume pressure that the idle drops to below 500rpm and you have to give it a little gas and it kicks back up. James has tinkered with the idle, but the cams just affect that aspect of the car. So its a comprimise, you could run the M2 Cosworth cams that are 272 in and ex....wont have the peak power the M3's are capable of, but for me, how often do you change cams? So I went with the most aggressive street cams I could find. You never think of doing so much to the car, I didn't, I liked it stock. But after a while, you start getting the bug for a new car. By me tinkering on the car, it just keeps the newness in a way. Plus the car is such a kick to drive, you just can't understand why they don't come this way stock, haha. Overall, the car is pretty tame still. Best thing for you to do, Go to James Shop....inquire, ask, throw my name out there, and say Jeff with the Red MR said .........its alright, just ask. James, and Allen, will give you good advice, and wont bullcrap you. I can say that confidently. Any Questions let me know.....

Quick Reply: New Mods for me....More Power