Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Slow is your Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ex V8 man

I was all about V8s till I test drove my STI.. damn that changed me..now I am converted.. I actually had a z28 dude drive by be slow and rev is car hard as he drifted by in neutral... maybe he was mad Camaro is no longer a production model (snoogins)

I agree ..both cars are insane.. and I cannot imagine it feeling slow anytime soon.. does the evo have a break in period too? this first 1000 miles is killing me..
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by TurboZ
i would also check to see if you are leaking boost. i have read about that being an issue also. tighten all you clamps on the turbo piping(and actually one guy had his hose blow off on the expressway) cus if one does blow off.. the car is not gonna want to go anywhere due to the MAF sensor. trust me on this. it is a scary experience till yo ufind out what it is(act like the computer is fried)
I'm gonna double both the suggestions. After I drive my Evo around a bit it doesn't 'seem' as quick. Then Monday hits and I get to take around the company PT Crapper, er, Cruiser, and man does the Evo seem to fly next time I take it out.

The hose check is not a bad idea either. A buddy of mine from around here was tooling down the expressway and one of his hoses came loose and comletely off; the car stalled out. said it was a loose clamp from the factory...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:37 AM

humid days leaving

I am dying for that first crisp day in October... when that 60 degree air is making that motor hum...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
remember, turbo cars do not perform well under the heat.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:54 AM

fuel question

Anyone try race fuel?....any dangers with it? few pumps here in Mass that sell 105 octane...all the muscle cars run it for the car shows... has that race track smell to it..
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolving Member

Re: How Slow is your Evo 8

Originally posted by X-ing
Just broke it in at 600 miles and man is this thing isn't as impressive as when i first test drove it. I change the oil and let that suxer rip. But all i did was burn the clutch 3 times and i cna't get it to lauch right. This is coming from a WRX owner who did a few 5k chirps and that car seems to run like a bat out of hell.

Well I hate to said this. But when i test drove an Evo, it wasn't this slow. I can't get this car to go if my life depened on it. Was a disappointing day. I even try the 5-6k dump, but that didn't do jack. It felt like the clutch doesn't want to come out at all, it just want to burnt itself to death. Oh, i manage to get 1 good chirp, but then it bogged the RPM dropped like a rock.

Can someone please teach me how to drive this thing?
Well for one - quit trying to "chirp" your tires. That's the incorrect thing to do on an AWD cars, you'd have more fun with RWD if it's necessary to do this.

Also depending on what gas and atmospheric conditions are out you could lose a lot of power from day to day. The ECU could have perhaps taken measures to protect against poor gas. Stick to 76, Shell, Texaco, Mobil - do not use Chevron or Arco.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Re: yeah ok

Originally posted by Stimaster
get into a wrx and then a Evo and you will see how much faster it is? I hope you arent talking about STI.. cause dude the cars are identical...
Calm down man! When we mean STI's on this forum ,we say STI. When we mean the regular old WRX, we type WRX.

I give the same thumbs up signal to both Evo's and STI's when I'm on the road!

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Aug 22, 2003 at 10:21 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:35 AM

me too

I am all for the Evo and the STI... bumping Chevy and Ford and starting the next race revolution... healthy competition means only good things for both camps!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

mine seems to run ok for 100% stock.

It was about 80F that day.....

see link below.... i ran 13.4, 13.4X and 13.5 all within an hour....

Last edited by Scot; Aug 22, 2003 at 10:47 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

WTF!!!!

Try this link then.... you may need to cut and paste it.?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fb524e23.jpg

Last edited by Scot; Aug 22, 2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 10:58 AM

I cant see jack! Type it.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Clutch restrictor mod....
this one?

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_fast...emoval_faq.htm

Anyone done it yet?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:39 PM

Well there is your first problem...doing clutch drops. What were you raised in a civic or mustang??? I can see doing one here and there, but more then that is brutal. You don't deserve an evo if you abuse it like that. I just have a 99' 2.5 Rs and I don't drop the clutch like that. I don't know why people do this crap and think something won't get messed up.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:00 PM

If you don't have anything good to contribute, please don't post Mr. EvoCraver. Coming for a Subaru, u should know that in order for your car to take off, u need to slip the clutch and fast.

I bought the car so i can drive, i'm paying $450 a month for it and i can abuse the **** out of it if i want. What the hell do u mean i don't deserve it?

Also, can you please read my post first? i was just trying get a good launch like i had with the WRX. It's not even a clutch drop, it's a slip and chirp of the tires and your off. But i couldn't get it off so i wanted to experiment a little. Drop the clutch once, it didn't grab and yes, it did burn. Won't be dropping it again.

More practice today and only a slight burn of the clutch today, but i found out that the EVO's clutch engages really high, hence the burning when i try to fast slip like the WRX. You can get into all gears on the EVO by just depressing the clutch 1/3 of the way in. Coming from a WRX, u can't get into any gear if u don't slam the clutch all the way in.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone??

I did this test:
You have now removed the clutch restriction. As a test, press the clutch in and then rapidly remove your foot. The peddle, unlike before the mod, will come back up as fast as your foot. Before the mod there used to be a measurable delay between removing my foot and the peddle returning to the top position

but my oem EVO clutch seems to return to top position as fast as
my foot???

Originally posted by JT-KGY
Clutch restrictor mod....
this one?

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_fast...emoval_faq.htm

Anyone done it yet?

Quick Reply: How Slow is your Evo 8