Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Slow is your Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't know where you guys live but in the summer with hotter temps your car will be slower....and you're also probably getting used to the speed and that's why ya feel like its slower...
Old Aug 23, 2003, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

there are a few things to think about:

1. when u break in the car easy (which, btw, i'm no longer sure is a good thing, since i seem to be leaking oil) u set the ECU to a very conservative driving style, and it'll take a long time before it picks up your new driving style... hence, u need to disconnect the battery completely for about an hour (i did it while washing the car the other day) and then afterwards drive it like you stole it! ... lemme tell ya, it was a nice feeling!!!

2. in order to launch well in this car u cannot slip it!.. period! the clutch slips for u.. if u add slip on this clutch it'll just burn and u'll go nowhere.. just go to around 6k rpms (don't worry it'll drop down when u launch) and pump the gas pedal quickly, and when u're ready release the clutch completely and plant the gas pedal.. and get ready for a badass launch!!! btw, if u've already burned the clutch a lot u might have screwed it up.. but try to do a couple reverse launches (be careful.. lol!) and you might be able to save the clutch still.. it's actually a pretty nice clutch if u know how to use it right!

3. weather conditions (humidity is a turbo killa!! heat and humidity combined is even worse!!!)... which can be fixed by getting a big IC like the AMS one that we carry! feels like a cool day everyday!

4. making sure u don't have a boost leak (get a gauge installed and u'll see quickly)

5. if these don't apply and nothing else that's obviously wrong with your new evo, then it's probably just u getting used to the car.. which means it's time to mod!!!!!

Last edited by RENN-ART; Aug 23, 2003 at 11:10 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 02:06 AM

i dont' think i'm leaking anything

IT MUST BE THE ECU!!! because i get a neck snap everytime boost hits.

Ok, it could be just me. But i got good news. The EVO is FAST.

Ok, i finally did a couple of good starts today and only 1 launch with a slight clutch burn and the car launches like a ****.

Here's how i do it.

With the car in idle. I held the clutch in, step on the brake and very slowly let the clutch out until i see the RPM start to drop. Then i push the clutch back in a little til the RPM back up at Idle. Now i rev up to 4-5k and just let that sucker rip. This kind of launch breaks the tires loose slightly and the car maintance boost lauching just like my privous WRX slip clutch lauch. I don't know if it's bad for my transmission. But it's definetly does not burn the clutch.