Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How Slow is your Evo 8

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How Slow is your Evo 8

Just broke it in at 600 miles and man is this thing isn't as impressive as when i first test drove it. I change the oil and let that suxer rip. But all i did was burn the clutch 3 times and i cna't get it to lauch right. This is coming from a WRX owner who did a few 5k chirps and that car seems to run like a bat out of hell.

Well I hate to said this. But when i test drove an Evo, it wasn't this slow. I can't get this car to go if my life depened on it. Was a disappointing day. I even try the 5-6k dump, but that didn't do jack. It felt like the clutch doesn't want to come out at all, it just want to burnt itself to death. Oh, i manage to get 1 good chirp, but then it bogged the RPM dropped like a rock.

Can someone please teach me how to drive this thing?
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:33 AM
Evolved Member

It's no where as easy to launch as the WRX.. Going from my GSX to the WRX, I thought I was in heaven.. It's so easy to drive the WRX out of the hole... It's a whole new learning experience going from the Subee to a Mits drivetrain.. The EVO has a 50-50 split.. But I believe the WRX has a different torque exchange.. (not sure, but it seems that way).. But! There is hope... Get rid of the restrictor in the slave cylinder and the clutch feels waaayy different.. It grabs a whole lot better... I will be doing this mod very soon.... My friend with an EVO did it to his, and I drove it.. Much better...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:41 AM

How to do that?

Cool, how do i remove the restrictor out of the the slave cylinder and where do i do that? Wait, let me search...hehhee...anyway someone please post in-case i can't find it.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 03:49 AM
Evolved Member

I do not really know how to do it, so I don't wanna say nothin about it.. It was explained to me a while ago... What I do know is that the large bolt on the very bottom of the slave cylinder needs to come off, and a very small spring inside needs to come out.. Das all I know...
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

You are just getting used to the speed. Unless you were never allowing the turbo to boost for the first 500 miles....which I doubt.

Just go drive a WRX again for a few hours then jump back into your Evo. You'll realize very quickly how fast the car really is.

When I think my car feels slow, I go for a drive in my GF's Saturn. Now THAT is a slow car. Doing something like that allows you to regain perspective.

SC~
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:13 AM

yeah ok

get into a wrx and then a Evo and you will see how much faster it is? I hope you arent talking about STI.. cause dude the cars are identical...and dont suck up what car and driver tells you as law.. 50% of performance can be lost on a bad driver... and I have had Z28s, Modded Mustangs, driven Vettes and the STI is a rocket.. the 6spd is the smoothes tranny I have ever used..

both cars are hot rods.. lets not bash one or the other.. you have to give credit where credit is due
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Re: How to do that?

Originally posted by X-ing
Cool, how do i remove the restrictor out of the the slave cylinder and where do i do that? Wait, let me search...hehhee...anyway someone please post in-case i can't find it.
Search in HERE it's for a DSM, but you'll get the idea.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:26 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Re: yeah ok

Originally posted by Stimaster
get into a wrx and then a Evo and you will see how much faster it is? I hope you arent talking about STI..
A little defensive there big guy? Relax, he was talkin about x-king's past WRX.
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:28 AM

its all good

I'm chill.. I just hate the bashing.. I had a Z28 and a Mustang and felt it from both sides.. people cant just enjoy owning 1 of the 2 coolest cars to hit the roads... I think we should team up and tool on the M3 owners..at least its fact they spent $30k more..

race on!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I hear ya on the bashing...most of the people here are appreciative of the STi. Admittedly there are quite a few who can't admit that Subaru has a car that's as good (and in many ways better) than their Evos though.

I think it's all a matter of getting used to the speed though. I felt the same way driving my boosted Lancer for a while. Then when I can't drive it I'm either in my sister's '89 MX-6 LX or my mother's '83 Benz 500 SEL. The Benz is slow as **** (period), but the MX-6 is decently quick for what it's worth. The change back to my car is always pleasant though (and it's not even running properly at present).
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Stimaster, I like your objectivity about both cars. Last night on the I-10 a blue Sti wanted to run on the freeway. I declined for a couple of reasons. The first is obvious; racing on the freeway is dangerous and the driver who can weave through traffic the fastest and risk lives w/o any regard usually wins those races. The 2nd reason is my car is stock and it has already been determined which car has more speed on the top end stock. Great car the Sti wish i had one to park next to the EVO. Also out here inthe land of 91 oct and heat most of the Stis seem to be in the high 13s and most Evos in the low 14s. That will change in the fall and the winter as both cars will wake the f## up. Any Evos in so Cal running 13s stock. i'm sure there are but i haven't heard of it. OUT!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

I'm going to have to agree...My brother aways does that..he'll be driving his car...and say...It doesn't feel fast...Then he'll go race some guy in a Trams-Am WS-6 and either keep up with it or pull...Then he realizes its just the adjustment...

BTW He owns a 95 Toyota Supra

-John
Old Aug 22, 2003, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I think I am adjusted....been only a week since buying it. My passengers always say how fast it feels but I keep thinking it feels 'not so fast' now.

But I kicked the bejezzus out of a Jetta turbo's *** (it was an ugly scene) and I realize that....hey it still is frikking fast!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

i would also check to see if you are leaking boost. i have read about that being an issue also. tighten all you clamps on the turbo piping(and actually one guy had his hose blow off on the expressway) cus if one does blow off.. the car is not gonna want to go anywhere due to the MAF sensor. trust me on this. it is a scary experience till yo ufind out what it is(act like the computer is fried)
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

I too, have noticed that my stock EVO feels sorta slow sometimes. Then maybe the next day it feels fast again. One common denominator seems to be the weather conditions. These cars seem to really fall off a lot in hot humid weather. Try it again on a cooler, crisp day and see if it picks up a lot.

If my theory is right the EVO would gain a lot from one of those CO2 intercooler spray kits.

Quick Reply: How Slow is your Evo 8