Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

In need of help with 03 VIII!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of help with 03 VIII!!!

Ok Evo ladies and gentleman,
I am in need of your wise tudaledge. About a month ago i bought my 03 evo 8, and man i love it, from what i could tell it was only moderately modded. The more that i research and learn on here about the cars, the more that i find is done to the car. It has an hks turboback i am guessing from the muffler, and i am guessing that maybe it has a downpipe or something else because when i was putting in my turbotimer i found what looks like an 02 sensor sim. There is an hks super sequential welded to the stock upper intercooler pipe and the stock bypass still in its stock position. It seemed like a fast car to me of course when i bought it, but now i just know it has more potential after taking it to an 1/8th mile track last night and not being able to pull anything under 10 seconds with it. I am guessing that maybe at one point the previous owner had it tuned and then put it back to stock to sell it. I need to know what road to take in correcting the problem because right now it drives worse than stock specs as far as horsepower it seems to me. I am trying to find a cost efficient solution to kinda rebaseline the car so that i can make a smooth progression from stock specs with my future mods as i get the funding. If anyone has any ideas for me please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it to a reputable Evo tuning shop and have them take a look at it.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

+1 on that. It's hard to tell what's causing it to not run so good without seeing it. If you could post a few pics of your setup, we might be able to help you further.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cpoevo
Take it to a reputable Evo tuning shop and have them take a look at it.
I agree. Have someone who is knowledgeable about Evo's do a good look over on your car. There may be boost leaks, improperly installed/reassembled components, an ECU flash that is not compatible with what you've got at the moment. Once you've straighten those things out, you'll be surprised how well your Evo will be performing.

Last edited by EvoTio; Aug 2, 2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

where in va are you?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:18 AM

I live in Chesapeake, anywhere in the Hampton roads really...