Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car Dies on side of the highway. Next day it starts like nothing happened?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 mods?

It really sounds like a boost leak....... my car had a bad habbit of blowing off pipes b/c I had a stripped hose clamp and it behaved exactly as you are describing. Check behind the intake manifold, there are a few large vacume lines back there that can blow off and cause issues similar to this. Make sure there are not any holes in your IC piping. If you can do a boost leak test do that for sure. I believe there is a how to already on the site, do a search, if you cant find anything PM and Ill send to you write up on how to do it.

Do you have cam gear or anything installed? Make sure the engine is in time set it to top dead center and make sure all the marks line up. While its a long shot, it is possible the the timming belt could have jumped time if you have a weak tensioner.

Check all your vacume lines on the intake pipe too. Also your BOV, and be sure it is sealed properly, some brands can get "sticky" and not close properly (This will be seen in a boost leak test also)

Pull your plugs to see them, and make sure all is ok, but while you have them out gap them between 22 and 26.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:17 AM

The car is completely stock other than possiblly a Different ECU or something. because it's a JDM import, i thought that stock it could only go to 180 KM/h. but mine doesn't hit a speed limiter. so i imagine it's modded ECU or swapped. i'll check some more connections though, Thanks
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:22 AM

Thanks denver, i'll re check all vac lines Ect. and i'll do i boost leak test and pull the plugs, i'm off to work, but i'll let you know what i find tonight.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:38 PM

so i pulled the plugs and found slightly dismaying news, not sure exactly what it means but i can use my imagination..

Plugs #1 and 2 were fine, plugs # 3 and 4 were soaked in oil,with what appeared to be little flakes of black pepper. i don't think it was metal, but still i've never seen that when i pulled plugs before... so i cleaned them up, gapped em and replaced em.

tried again to test drive it, it stuttered before i even left the driveway. pushed the clutch in and it instantly died.

So i guess i could rule out boost leak as the problem?

What would cause plugs 3 & 4 to be soaked in oil like that?

THX

Wes
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Well next is compression check........

Oil on the plugs is usually not a good thing.....

does the car blow out smoke when you try driving it?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:54 PM

it had been puffing a bit under hard acceleration, from what a friend told me, but when it idles or on start up it doesn't puff at all. i can't really drive it to check, i couldn't even make it out of the driveway really.

I'll check compression likely tomorrow

Thanks again
Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Damn.

May the powers of the Evo Gods compel your evo to run again.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:45 PM
Former Vendor

1. Dont drive the car anymore.

2. Take it to a quailified mechanic.

3. Pay bill.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 06:44 PM

1. Dont drive the car anymore.

2. Take it to a quailified mechanic.

3. Pay bill.

Yeah, that's the plan. only good local tuner shop is convienently on hollidays for another week...