Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

would u buy an evo with over a 100,000 miles on it..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question would u buy an evo with over a 100,000 miles on it..

i was jus wondering because it was one for sale in my area that i was looking at and wonder if it would be worth the money any help appreciated
Old Aug 2, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

I wouldn't unless you want to make it a track car or plan on replacing a lot of parts. I'd say it wouldn't make a reliable DD.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldn't but it all depends on how good the deal is and your plans for it...It would def be good for a track car not to sure about it being a DD
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say depends on two things:

Can you trace any of the history of the car? Was it locally owned? Any other local EVO owners know the car? Is it for sale from a dealer or a private party?

Is it modded? Or was it modded? Was it flogged to within an inch of its life every weekend at track days, drag strip, or Auto-X?

Or was it simply owned by someone who had to drive a long ways and it had a lot of free-way commuter miles on it?

Actually, in either case I'd care more about knowing how the car was maintained by previous owner.

So, my answer is, I would not be afraid of the 100K miles if I knew and was comfortable about the history on the car.

The 2nd thing is price, 100K is a magic number after which the price should drop off considerably. The price should be a real "deal"; if not put your money in a lower mileage car.

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:21 PM

its priced at 17k do u think thats a good deal?? ive seen the kar in person it looks really good ... a link if u wanna see http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/748162551.html
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Price seems reasonable, but I would have dealership check it from head to toe
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bora
I wouldn't unless you want to make it a track car or plan on replacing a lot of parts. I'd say it wouldn't make a reliable DD.
I agree. At 100,000 miles, I begin to look at cars and not think what future repairs might be like, instead i think of what can be salvaged.

However, I have been in the situation whereas the vehicle had been maintained so well you questioned the accuracy of the odometer. This occurs mainly in vehicles that have had numerous, major repairs (preferred with NEW OEM parts) performed. Something that I would consider extensive were if the T/C had been replaced with a new unit, and/ or any drive line component. Hopefully you get the point I'm trying to make here.

Also, mileage can be deceiving if the majority of the miles on the vehicle were lengthy highway miles. The difference is wear and tear between a highway vehicle and a street driven vehicle can be staggering. Usually highway vehicles won't look as pretty, but underneath - the drive train especially- can be in near perfect shape. What it boils down to here is time. If you took a set of Evo Recaros and put 50,000 on them within 3 months, and took another set but instead put 50,000 miles over 5 years, the initial seat will look much better than the second. The outside temperature can really be brutal on anything that's not metal.

If you asked me to consider a 100,000 mile, 2003 Evo VIII I would probably past even before looking at it. It's not that it's not a good vehicle; I just couldn't pay for something and call it my own when the majority of life (mileage) of the vehicle has been used with a previous owner. Just wouldn't feel mine, not to mention if I'd rather have a new car even if it were a Hyundai. A 100,000 mile Evo sounds like an Evo in need of repairs. High preformance vehicle earns you high performance wear and tare.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

It could be a perfectly well maintained evo. Like mine, I drive mine 60-80 miles a day and almost got 74k miles. I mainly do highway driving, never race it, and just do regular maintenance following the warranty booklet.

This evo might be in better shape than some out there that have maybe only 30-50k miles on them. The person who drove it probably had a long commute like the guy above said.

And yeah the price should be very low for such an evo.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

adrian?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo 8 shyne
its priced at 17k do u think thats a good deal?? ive seen the kar in person it looks really good ... a link if u wanna see http://raleigh.craigslist.org/car/748162551.html
I paid $21,000 for my VIII a year and a half ago with 28,000 miles.

It looks and sounds like a good deal; I'd offer $14,000 cash. Maybe get it for $15,000 if you are lucky.

Old Aug 2, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR
If you took a set of Evo Recaros and put 50,000 on them within 3 months, and took another set but instead put 50,000 miles over 5 years, the initial seat will look much better than the second.
Exaggerating a bit? I don't think that's possible. Even 50k in 5 years is pretty much below average of how much ppl drive.

But in this case it's 100k in 5 years so yeah, those recaros do have some funk in em.

If the car's interior is clean like you said then don't let us stop you from getting it. Just have a good mechanic look it over.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

i wouldnt. No one buys an evo to baby it.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

if you can get for like 14 and have a few gs saved up for repairs lol
Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

unless the evo became super rare.

If not, hellllllllllll Nooooooooooo!!
Old Aug 3, 2008, 07:03 AM

Mine is at 135,00 miles with not ever having to change out the TC or any diff and only one clutch and that was at 105,000 miles on stock clutch with about 280-290 whp most of those miles. So it just depends on the owner, but even i would be weary, it would have to be a really good deal.

And this is on a '03 and still going strong. yay!!!

Quick Reply: would u buy an evo with over a 100,000 miles on it..