Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Wheels Locked Up! Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheels Locked Up! Help Me!

Well yesterday (my b-day) I was leaving my house to go out with my girlfriend and one of my friends and as I applied the brakes my car made a horrible metal grinding sound. At first I thought my brakes were ****ed up, I turned the car around and headed home, as I got back into my driveway the car started making the noise again as I applied the brakes and then once I came to a stop it wouldn't move anymore. It could roll back but not forward and then eventually I couldn't even get it to roll back anymore. So now my wheels are locked up and everything seems fine under the car and around my brake area... WTF could it be!?!?!? I just bought this car like not even two weeks ago and I'm already having major mechanical issues and the guy I bought it from isn't responding to me. So looks like im up a creek with this piece of **** Evo that I bought.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did it make a high pitched whine before and during this incident?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

caliper stuck?
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
transfer case
Old Aug 3, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Talk to who you bought it from. There is def something they didn't tell you i.e bad t-case
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
Talk to who you bought it from. There is def something they didn't tell you i.e bad t-case
That's what I'm thinking but he isn't going to help me out.. kind of blows. Now I guess I just need to find a transfer case for my car.. preferrably used since I'm kinda tight on money right now with just purchasing this car and still having my 2jz engine and lexus sc400 that I need to sell.

If any of you know somewhere that I can find used transfer cases please let me know I'm in need of one ASAP apparantly!

And the car didn't make any noises leading up to the damn thing commiting suicide. It just all of the sudden started making a grinding noise and then it started sounding like a bunch of rocks inside jumbling around in either my t-case or my front differential and then when I came to a stop in my driveway it decided it didn't want to move anymore. I have looked at my brakes and they are all fine. So I'm guessing either the transfer case or the differential or maybe even both, **** who knows until tomorrow and I can have it sent off to a shop for them to look at it.

Last edited by whitepwr; Aug 3, 2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

BTW him and a couple buddies installed a forged spider gear differential in it from TRE I think.. it was vibrating when I bought it so we took it to a trusted mechanic in town and he told me it was natural and not to worry about anything he said that the new forged diffs will vibrate and when I'm in a parking lot it might even start popping because it's binding up.. he said there'd be no reason to pull it all apart and look at it so I took his word and went on my way. I mean a day later the vibration went away and I figured all the car needed was a little break in and then this week I was going to drop it off at Mitsubishi for the Dynan Diff Service since they just put mobile 1 differential fluid in there I guess.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 03:01 PM

that is why you need to find someone who is good with evos. i made the same mistake by just taking it to a good local mechanic. now my evo is sitting in my yard not running. and like you times are tight. but i cant afford to get it fixed.
Old Aug 3, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
transfer case
+1
Old Aug 3, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by whitepwr
That's what I'm thinking but he isn't going to help me out.. kind of blows. Now I guess I just need to find a transfer case for my car.. preferrably used since I'm kinda tight on money right now with just purchasing this car and still having my 2jz engine and lexus sc400 that I need to sell.

If any of you know somewhere that I can find used transfer cases please let me know I'm in need of one ASAP apparantly!

And the car didn't make any noises leading up to the damn thing commiting suicide. It just all of the sudden started making a grinding noise and then it started sounding like a bunch of rocks inside jumbling around in either my t-case or my front differential and then when I came to a stop in my driveway it decided it didn't want to move anymore. I have looked at my brakes and they are all fine. So I'm guessing either the transfer case or the differential or maybe even both, **** who knows until tomorrow and I can have it sent off to a shop for them to look at it.
Def pinpoint the problem. If it is the t case send it to shep for a rebuild. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg that way. Plus it will be stronger than stock
Old Aug 4, 2008, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 596736
Def pinpoint the problem. If it is the t case send it to shep for a rebuild. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg that way. Plus it will be stronger than stock
How do I contact shep? I should know by tomorrow what the issue is.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 07:57 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will cost a minimum of $1700 with shipping, probably more.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whitepwr
BTW him and a couple buddies installed a forged spider gear differential in it from TRE I think.. it was vibrating when I bought it so we took it to a trusted mechanic in town and he told me it was natural and not to worry about anything he said that the new forged diffs will vibrate and when I'm in a parking lot it might even start popping because it's binding up.. he said there'd be no reason to pull it all apart and look at it so I took his word and went on my way. I mean a day later the vibration went away and I figured all the car needed was a little break in and then this week I was going to drop it off at Mitsubishi for the Dynan Diff Service since they just put mobile 1 differential fluid in there I guess.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but certain T Case oils need a friction reducer that prevents lock up during extreme temperatures/use/etc. The OEM LSD (and I think Redline) oil has this already but I am not sure about other brands.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
It will cost a minimum of $1700 with shipping, probably more.
yah it looks like my car may be sitting for a while.. I don't have that much money to just throw at this car right now.. between, school, insurance, gas, payments and taxes for licensing that and I have already spent well over $5-600 in parts for this car including, cams, intake, UICP, Tial BOV, etc. How much do used ones usually go for?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

I would agree with the t case also, same thing happend to a friend of my lastweek but his car decided to stop all on its on in the middle of the street during rush hour. any way Id hit up TRE... they have a few used ones for sale now! www.teamrip.com One of the used ones is going for 650 and the other for 850.

Quick Reply: Wheels Locked Up! Help Me!