Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What do you protect your Evo with?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must go with Valentine 1 -- any other brand/model would be a waste of your money.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by DrMerl
At it's most basic, a radar detector is just that...detect the radar before it detects you. I do not want ANY stupid computer chip GUESSING the variances of X and K, or if it's below some sort of signal strength it won't tell you about it.

I have a V1. There is a secondary volume control for the "common" radar. You can mute it if you like on X and K....but speed traps still play on X here in San Diego.

The "bogie" counter on the V1 is an excellent tool SHOWING you the "false" alarm of a bugler alarm, door opener, etc. You will get one X or K blip, then a second blip....meaning....Open, Close =) Then you use that wonderful bean of your and say...hmmm I'm in the city, there must be door openers...hah! =)

You scope out the areas you drive in all the time and you get a radar picture of where things are....having directional radar is great...when used with your head. You get a quick blip in front of you.....then as you pass buy that blip goes to the side, then goes to the rear. You KNOW you passed by something stationary and most likely not a cop....don't know of any other radar that's going to tell WHERE they are at. You don't have to guess based on your signal "intuition".

I've tracked Hwy Patrolers way out on I5 that were trying to hide on over passes (I detected him on the side before he even could get to the speed trap) and will drive on the side of you to try and catch you. It's great watching a cop with his radar on standby drive around you or you know where he's going.

All other radar detectors have been playing catch up for years...the V1 guy helped invent the first detectors IIRC. With speeding tickets at $200 plus.....two saves and I'm good.

Every person that I talk to that can afford any sort of radar detector in the world goes with V1. I'll go with the herd on this one.
I can afford a V1. I did quite a bit of research before making my decision. The 8500 does pretty much everything you just described. I don't have to guess at anything. I can quickly and easily tell when something is stationary, approaching from behind or parallelling me on the road. Not bagging on the V1, but the 8500 has caught up with and even passed it (IMO) in some categories. Enough so that I would have paid more for the 8500 than the V1 if necessary, thankfully I didn't.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SgVnut
go to the v1 website. "V1 Trounces Passport... Again!
The most recent article I found was from Feb. 2002. A little more research revealed a number of articles from different sources(which were much more current) where the 8500 beat the V1 consistently.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz
I gotta say the V1 directional and count features look great, I think i'd rather be the judge of "is it a trap or is it a door" than just have the signal blocked out

thanks for the reply guys,,
Both the V1 and the 8500 have adjustable sensitivity, as far as I know. The 8500 has a very intelligent "Auto" sensitivity mode, but you choose what you want to use. Very easy. Reading some of the reviews (not the old one on the Valentine site), the V1 falsed quite a lot compared to the 8500 in every day driving while the 8500 never missed a real radar signal.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Most my driving is inner city, so the passport deffinatly looks good too, plus the silver casing would go great with my silver evo (if i ever get it)

I guess sometimes the decision comes down to (wich looks better) lol
Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

V1, hands down.

Any data that suggests the passport is superior is either doctored or paid off or using bad testing techniques.

I have spoken to Mike V. He presented to a BMW club meeting I was fortunate enough to attend. The man comes across as brilliant, humble, and honest.

See here:
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/detectortests.asp
and here:
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt5.asp
and here:
http://www.valentineone.com/lab/V1Hater.asp
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jedinite
V1, hands down.

Any data that suggests the passport is superior is either doctored or paid off or using bad testing techniques.

I have spoken to Mike V. He presented to a BMW club meeting I was fortunate enough to attend. The man comes across as brilliant, humble, and honest.

See here:
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/detectortests.asp
and here:
http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt5.asp
and here:
http://www.valentineone.com/lab/V1Hater.asp
There are too many tests out there where the V1 just didn't perform as well as the 8500. Most of these tests are well documented and newer than the single C&D article from Feb 02 that the V1 site links to.

If we were to discuss the potential for payoffs and/or bad testing techniques, wouldn't the most likely culprit be V1? I am not making any accusations. But based purely on the current circumstances, it would seem more likely that there was some subterfuge in the "one off" C&D article where the V1 blew away the competition and has yet to do so in any other test since then. I find that to be more likely than an anti-V1 conspiracy. Just my opinion.

I took quite some time to research detectors. I was sold on the V1 pretty hard initially. Most of what swayed me towards the V1 was the C&D article and anecdotal evidence from users. But, the more I dug, the more I found that pointed the other way. The V1 has been tested against other detectors since Feb 02 and it has consistently not faired as well. Why don't they link to those tests?

Personally, I think they are both good detectors.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I paid $200 for my Passport 8500, through a bestbuy discount. I didn't see any sense in paying double that for a Valentine 1, when they both perform head to head. One may be slightly better than the other, but in the grand scheme of things, they're both on a very high level of performance.