Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu ECU Reflash update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Anyone with a reflashed ECU should check their max ignition advance numbers with a OBD-II logger to see if their ECU is generating abberant advance behavior.

my 2c,
Shiv
I'm guessing that the vast majority of U.S. Evos out there running reflashed ECUs are WORKS customers. WORKS users, despite the implications of Shiv’s post, this warning does not apply to you.

-- DavidV
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

It can't hurt for people to check their max. ignition advance numbers to see if they are in the minority of corrupt ECU code. If this problem is isolated to the EVOs that Tadashi himself has tested, then that is certainly good news for customers as well as companies that want to offer reflashing services.

-Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 23, 2003 at 10:28 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DavidV@WORKS

I'm guessing that the vast majority of U.S. Evos out there running reflashed ECUs are WORKS customers. WORKS users, despite the implications of Shiv’s post, this warning does not apply to you.

-- DavidV
Do you use the Techtom reflashing system?
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

This question is directed to DavidV@WORKS and company...do you use the Techtom reflashing system?
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Nothing can ever be simple can it? David, thanks for telling your current customers that we shouldn't have to worry. At the same time I think modvp's question is a legitimate one.

This is not good news...sort of like finding out your whitening toothpaste causes mouth cancer. In this case it sounds like any reflash performed using the techtom reflashing system may be suspect, and that even reflashing back to stock parameters won't fix the issues.

Ugly deal. Wasn't planning on popping for a pocket-logger right now!

N10S
Old Aug 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing can ever be simple can it? David, thanks for telling your current customers that we shouldn't have to worry. At the same time I think modvp's question is a legitimate one.
You do realise that some people dont use these forums 24/7, dont you?
Old Aug 23, 2003, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, its only been five hours since my earlier post and only 12 hours since modvp's original question was asked. I realize that its also the weekend and people have lives and non-evo related things to do. I also believe that this is a pretty volatile subject, and one I would be keeping on top of from a damage control point if I was David V/Works.

BTW- Although I am hoping that I have nothing to worry about according to Davids earlier general comments, I didn't drive my frigging car today, and won't until I get some straight answers on whether or not the techtom re-flashing system was used by Works. If it wasn't used, then great I can rest easy! If , however, Works does use this same tool to perform re-flashing , then I simply want to know why I should be so confident that the Works re-flash is exempt from this issue?

Good thing I have other vehicles to drive eh??

Sorry for being impatient, but i'm one of the guys with a re-flashed ECU in his car. Just looking for closure...hopefully!

N10S
Old Aug 23, 2003, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by N10S
Sorry for being impatient, but i'm one of the guys with a re-flashed ECU in his car. Just looking for closure...hopefully!
S'all good. Why not try calling, or sending an Email?

On a side note, I hope this problem can be fixed quickly.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks...hopefully it isn't an issue and all is good.

N10S
Old Aug 23, 2003, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

FWIW, problems like these aren't unheard of when it comes to reflashing systems. The only way to get around it is to 1) keep track of all the new ROM revisions that manufucturer (MMC, in this case) comes out with through the production life of the car, 2) get each ECU ROM version read and decoded and 3) test every step of the way, confirming that the code you flash into the ECU gives the expected outcome.

Since the Techtom reflashing system only reflashes a small portion of the ROM memory (the part with the boost, fuel, timing, etc,. tables), dumping a new ROM chunk into an ECU with older "background" ROM will lead to problems. In some cases, the car won't run at all, making it pretty obvious that a problem has occured. In other instances, like this, the problem is far more subtle and hard to track down. In fact, we only came across it by accident while trying to map our XEDE piggy-back on top of a reflashed ECU.

FWIW, even before the US release of the EVO, we got our hands on a US EVO ECU. We shipped it immediately to our WRX ECU code crackers in Europe, who have had extensive experience mapping the EVO 7 ECUs (both for OE and aftermarket applications). Upon inspection and testing, it was obvious that several changes to both hardware and softare have been made between the EVO 7 and US EVO 8 ECUs. Even the external layout of the board is visibly different. This, in itself, kept us from immediately from using the Tectom system and offering the remapping services for the EVO as we do for the WRX. This thread should help explain the stance we've taken with respect to our EVO ECU reflashing services.

Best Regards,
Shiv

Last edited by shiv@vishnu; Aug 23, 2003 at 06:38 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ok....end of the day now on the left coast.... you can call me an east coast dork again if you like "spikeLS1" but there is still no answer from David at works.....Like I said...Hmmmm....

Last edited by limey; Aug 23, 2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Ok....end of the day now on the left coast.... you can call me an east coast dork again if you like but there is still no answer from David at works.....Hmmmm....
So call or email him. Sheezus.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I am guessing DavidV@WORKS and company is using an updated version of the Techtom reflashing system and must therefore be kept a secret!
Old Aug 23, 2003, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

I had my ECU reflashed by Tadashi personally while RMR was developing their flash. Both my car and Shawn Glass' car were done the same week. If there is a code discrepancy that would explain why Shawn's flash didn't work and mine has been just fine. It's interesting to see that Shiv uses Tadashi, too. Many OEMs use Tadashi for their final ECU stuff. I was thinking of flying him out for a day to work his magic on my car since I get 93 octane now. However, I'll keep what I've got since I'm moving back to the land of 91 octane soon. Tadashi is my number one choice for ECU work (apologies to all of you S-AFC gurus).
Old Aug 23, 2003, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
I had my ECU reflashed by Tadashi personally while RMR was developing their flash. Both my car and Shawn Glass' car were done the same week. If there is a code discrepancy that would explain why Shawn's flash didn't work and mine has been just fine. It's interesting to see that Shiv uses Tadashi, too. Many OEMs use Tadashi for their final ECU stuff. I was thinking of flying him out for a day to work his magic on my car since I get 93 octane now. However, I'll keep what I've got since I'm moving back to the land of 91 octane soon. Tadashi is my number one choice for ECU work (apologies to all of you S-AFC gurus).
You ECu may or may not have the problem. The problem needs to be looked for as it won't be totally obvious upon normal dyno testing. Tadashi only found it after I told him where to look for it. You might want to contact him or send him your ECU for testing.

Shiv

Quick Reply: Vishnu ECU Reflash update