Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Vishnu ECU Reflash update

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll probably wait until I get back to Cali then. Or else I'll get the other guys' flash for 93 octane...
Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

If a company employed a good Quality Control check on the reflash, before sending the ECU back to the customer, there would be very little chance of faulty reflashes getting out to people...right? OR is this error something that a person will only notice once the ECU is placed back into his car and is driven?

SC~
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
If a company employed a good Quality Control check on the reflash, before sending the ECU back to the customer, there would be very little chance of faulty reflashes getting out to people...right? OR is this error something that a person will only notice once the ECU is placed back into his car and is driven?

SC~
The most one can do without actually testing the ECU in a car would be to verify the code after the flashing process. In this case, verification doesn't identify the problem. It would have to be installed in a car and tested with a OBD-II logger or some sort.

Shiv
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Shiv- And again we are looking for excessive advance in the low rpm range as compared to typical timing advance characteristics of a stock EVO as refrenced by you earlier in this thread correct?

I have some OBD II datalogging software, but need to get a connector cable from somewhere.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

That's correct. While it is likely that there are other issues involved, it's the low rpm/low load advance issue that jumped out at me first. After seeing that, I never reallly investigated it further.

Regards,
shiv
Old Aug 24, 2003, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, that at least gives me one smoking gun to look for!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv,

Is getting a reflash the ONLY way to raise your rev limit? Can an e-manage/XED/etc. do it?

Thanks.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
Shiv,

Is getting a reflash the ONLY way to raise your rev limit? Can an e-manage/XED/etc. do it?

Thanks.
Honestly, we haven't even looked into raising the rev limiter with the XEDE. It is indeed possible though. It's something we'll look into as we begin to offer stages with more serious upgrade (rod/rod bolts, pistons, bigger turbo, cams, etc,.) Until then, peak hp is almost always made before 7000RPM. Shifting at 8000RPM does nothing but beat the hell out of the internals and potentially void your powertrain warranty.

Shiv... logging in on Brett's computer

Last edited by DSMBRETT; Aug 24, 2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Shiv, to be COMPLETELY off topic, what's up with the Xede orders?! I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago and my credit card hasn't even been charged. I'm biting my nails until I get it. What's the story? Supply problems? PMed you and emailed Vishnu tuning with no responses. Thanks and back to your discussions .
Old Aug 24, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Liandrin11
Shiv, to be COMPLETELY off topic, what's up with the Xede orders?! I ordered mine almost 2 weeks ago and my credit card hasn't even been charged. I'm biting my nails until I get it. What's the story? Supply problems? PMed you and emailed Vishnu tuning with no responses. Thanks and back to your discussions .
Probably best to call us up and talk to either Brett or Ken. We've been pretty swamped lately with emails so we've fallen behind a bit. XEDES are shipping out as fast as we can build and test them (and the new plug-in harnesses).

shiv
Old Aug 24, 2003, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Obviously Works has the majority of the Evo reflash business. So Shivs post does seem to insinuate that Works customers need to be concerned. But the Works reflash is also a direct competitor to the Exede. This post seems more directed at scaring people away from Works than informing Vishnu customers about thier reflash progress. Shiv had to know how this post would play out here. The only person on here that has had a known reflash problem had the work done at RMR. I have not heard one negative comment about the Works reflash by people who have purchased it. Maybe Works knows more about the Evo code than the other competitors? I don't mean to be backing Works because I have never purchased anything from them but this seems fishy. I also have heard only good things about the Exede and Vishnu products.

I have neither but have been seriously considering both. Just waiting for everything to get sorted out. This post just doesn't take a genius to figure out imo.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 08:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since this has turned into a Works issue... maybe people should start posting on this subject in the Works forum...
Old Aug 25, 2003, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

i will start recording my Timing today and let all you with the WORKS reflash know.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by shiv@vishnu
Since the Techtom reflashing system only reflashes a small portion of the ROM memory (the part with the boost, fuel, timing, etc,. tables), dumping a new ROM chunk into an ECU with older "background" ROM will lead to problems. In some cases, Shiv
What about the CRC check at the end? Are both revisions of the code exactly the same amount of bits so CRC is passing after the modification of the tables?
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:57 AM

still no reply from WORKS? Inquiring minds want to know.

Quick Reply: Vishnu ECU Reflash update