Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HELP me find this rattle...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELP me find this rattle...

Its been going on for about a month now...each time I turn my A/C on and when I am driving above 70MPH I hear this rattle what appears to be comming from my engine bay...its sound line metal tapping rattle kinda noise...at first it was with my A/C on...now it even does it with out the A/C...but only at higher speeds not necessarly at higher RPM's...Here is the kicker...each time I put the car in neutral or just press the clutch in...the rattle disappears...so each time the clutch is engaged the rattle is there...is it my transmission? what is around there that could be causing the rattle with the clutch fully engaged? any ideas would be appreciated...seems like everything at once is happening to my eVo...btw...my car is bone stock except for a tune...and I have not done or changed anything...thanks in advance...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny you should say that. I have a rattle with the AC on and engaging the gear as the engine shifts and moves upon the torque of going from a dead stop it rattles a bit.

I'm not sure if its the trans, but I ended up doing a dp/cat-delete and checked all of them.

But when the AC is on, it rattles 24/7 and worse over bumps. I'm in the same water, just different boat than you.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

It's an Evo you'll get that, imo just live with it!
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

what kind of exhaust do you have?, i had the same rattle from the AC, and when i pushed down the clutch it would go away. it turns out it was the downpipe rattling against the two cross bas under the car, you need some kind of spacers, go to home depot and get some washers to space them away from the downpipe.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

LOL...I guess I am not alone...so I am releived...my exahust is stock...the car is bone stock except for a tune...so I guess I have nothing to worry about...but I could have sworn that my rattle happened once or twice without the A/C as well...but mostly its with A/C on when I am going over 70MPH...I can't really test out my theory with the whole A/C unit as I do more city driving...and don't want to be an a$$ driving on the street doing 70MPH...lol...thanks guys...AND eventhough its an eVo...rattles check engine lights still get me worried...I paid a lot for that car just to not care about it...lol
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Davethewave
what kind of exhaust do you have?, i had the same rattle from the AC, and when i pushed down the clutch it would go away. it turns out it was the downpipe rattling against the two cross bas under the car, you need some kind of spacers, go to home depot and get some washers to space them away from the downpipe.
Dave, I believe that was the issue that I had found. I had angled the stock hangers away for a bit, but I guess it came back. It's the Megan DP metal brackets on each side that was hitting the factory hangers off the body.

Which 2 cross bars you talking about?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Davethewave
it turns out it was the downpipe rattling against the two cross bas under the car, you need some kind of spacers, go to home depot and get some washers to space them away from the downpipe.
You'll probably need longer bolts too.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

OK...at what speeds do you guys that have the rattle too when the A/C is on occurs on your cars? Mine does it at around 70MPH while A/C is on...somtimes even when its off...I don't drive on the highway much so I don't even know when the rattle started...but I did notice it recently when taking highway trips...My exhaust is bone stock too...so I don't really think its the DP hitting anything...I guess this is what people mean when they say the eVo's are making noises regardless...lol...thanks guys...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Do you hear it in your front dash near your vents? Mine did that when I went over like 50mph. It was the plastic liner near the pillar near the corner of the hood. I put some 3M tape under the plastic gaurd and it went away. I took it in previously for warranty when I first bought my car and they couldn't figure it out for 3 hrs. It took me 5 minutes and the problem fixed. I'm not sure this is the same issue.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by whoang40
Do you hear it in your front dash near your vents? Mine did that when I went over like 50mph. It was the plastic liner near the pillar near the corner of the hood. I put some 3M tape under the plastic gaurd and it went away. I took it in previously for warranty when I first bought my car and they couldn't figure it out for 3 hrs. It took me 5 minutes and the problem fixed. I'm not sure this is the same issue.
Well its definately coming from the front...but it sounds more like metal tapping kind of rattle not so much plastic...So I don't think its that what you are reffering to...the thing that really makes me think is once you disengage the clutch the rattle goes away...I mean if it was exhaust rattle...it would rattle regardless if the clutch is engaged or disengaged...while traveling at the same MPH...but the rattle goes away once the clutch is disengaged and once engaged it comes back on...what gives?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by highbredcloud
Well its definately coming from the front...but it sounds more like metal tapping kind of rattle not so much plastic...So I don't think its that what you are reffering to...the thing that really makes me think is once you disengage the clutch the rattle goes away...I mean if it was exhaust rattle...it would rattle regardless if the clutch is engaged or disengaged...while traveling at the same MPH...but the rattle goes away once the clutch is disengaged and once engaged it comes back on...what gives?
Uh, not really.

When you depress the clutch you take all the load off the engine and it drops to idle speed. If it was the exhaust rattling, it wouldn't anymore. I don't know if that's actually your problem or not, but pressing the clutch could "solve" the rattle for sure.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

when I had my stock exhaust, the heat shield on the down pipe cracked and rattled like crazy. Look at all the heat sheilding especially near the heat sheild clamps.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PessimiStick
Uh, not really.

When you depress the clutch you take all the load off the engine and it drops to idle speed. If it was the exhaust rattling, it wouldn't anymore. I don't know if that's actually your problem or not, but pressing the clutch could "solve" the rattle for sure.
good point...but yeah...once you disengage the clutch the rattle stops...it happens more often than not when the A/C is on and doing above 70MPH...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
when I had my stock exhaust, the heat shield on the down pipe cracked and rattled like crazy. Look at all the heat sheilding especially near the heat sheild clamps.
Did it also rattle when you disengaged your clutch? mine stops ratteling the minute the press down on the clutch...than it starts again once the clutch is engaged...it will rattle for a little bit...and then stop...and start...f*cken eVo...
I am a little paranoid because I keep getting a flashing check engine light...I have another thread in the tuning section...so I am constantly watching out for any and every rattle or knock to make sure everything is OK...from what I am being told my check engine seems normal...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Mine did change when I had the clutch in and out...... its all about frequancy, when you are pushing in the clutch you are changing the loading on the engine at idle, changing the frequancy of the system, an intern it stops the vibration. Im not saying yours is defintly the heat shield, but mine vibrated like crazy, and drove me nuts. Its also a very easy thing to check, and if it turns out it is the problem, it is very easy to fix.