Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Who has repainted their EVO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who has repainted their EVO

I'm considering having my car repainted, same color just the outside, because there's alot of chips in the front and sides and every time i wash her i'm just not satisfied. I was wondering if any of you have had their evo repainted or any other car for that matter. I need know what to look for and what to stay away from. I was thinking maybe just one coat of paint and a clear coat will do but i don't know alot about painting cars. Thanks for your help guys
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

im actually about to do the same thing... just repaint the front end. No damage, its just i cant stand the little rock chips i got from initially driving the car to work on the freeway! (its strictly a wknd car now, but too late). My friends think im being ****... but hey, i want the car perfect. So i share your views man!
Also, i figure front end paintwork should be easy... (no seals to accidentally paint over etc) Just fenders, bumper, hood... which actually can all be removed from the car.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think for the cost of the repaint, I'd get a new front bumper, fenders and hood. That should fix the problem and probably a lot less??
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

the biggest thing i think is to match up the paint. if you just paint the front, the painter will do the "blending in" of the color on the front doors i assume.

if your going to be repainting the car yourself, there is a lot of prep work involved. but if your just gonna pay someone i dont think you have anything to worry about.

i think theres this thing that is sprayed onto the front end of most new cars now that protects the paint from chipping. its a couple extra dollars that most people just look over...

those are my .2$
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your going to need a lot more than one coat of paint and clear haha.

If you plan to do this yourself dont go cheap and use spray cans. And if you really want to stay away from rock chips put a lot of coats of clear one the hood and bumper probably a good 8 coats.

Painting is the easy part. Prepping is the pain in the ***. A lot of sanding and body needs to be done especially if you already have a lot of rock chips.

All in all unless you have a friend with a gun or are willing to pay 200 for a gun 350 for paint + hardner + reducer + clear and dont mind the hard work go for it,
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

I Like to paint my own stuff Saves alot
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

^^ you should teach me. i do my own prep work, but am scared to mess with the gun and actually painting the car. hahaha i should learn on my evo!!!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by def1
Your going to need a lot more than one coat of paint and clear haha.

If you plan to do this yourself dont go cheap and use spray cans. And if you really want to stay away from rock chips put a lot of coats of clear one the hood and bumper probably a good 8 coats.

Painting is the easy part. Prepping is the pain in the ***. A lot of sanding and body needs to be done especially if you already have a lot of rock chips.

All in all unless you have a friend with a gun or are willing to pay 200 for a gun 350 for paint + hardner + reducer + clear and dont mind the hard work go for it,
No I'm definitely not doing it myself. But from what I've heard when you repaint the car they use several coats of paint but isn't this only when they are going to change the color? Mine being white already and staying white wouldn't it require less paint?
Thanks guys
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Well it depends on how well you want it to come out. The good thing about it tho is you dont ahve to worry about repainting door jams and under the hood. I think what your talking about is just sanding off the clear and respraying over the paint with a coat of white. You can do this but I wouldnt recommend it. To really get rid of the paint chips you already have you need to sand all the way down to the primer.

The rock chips usually tend to go all the through the primer so you will have to use some puddy to fill the rock chips and and sand those down until everything is smooth. Then you have to reprimer the car and add a good amount of coats of paint and clear. Remember the more coats the more protective your paint will be.

But like i said you can do it the first way but I wouldnt recommend it. Plus your going to have to buy atleast a pint of paint anyways might as well add more than one coat.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

I had my hood, roof and trunk repainted when I added the ings+ kit. The only thing was the factory paint had so much orange peel, I had to have the rest of the car wet sanded and buffed to match the new paint.

Last edited by Whoosh; Aug 6, 2008 at 01:22 PM.