Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I headed in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mabey switch to E85
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
you could just add a downpipe and meth and get a really good tune and be very close to the same numbers you would be at with the FP green and all that other stuff...

thats all up to you tho
The only thing is, in my head, i believe if I run the car a little easier, then the car would last me longer. Im sure that is a very wrong way of thinking but as posted numerous times in this thread, I am some what knowledgeable but yet very uneducated on many aspects on high end upgrading. My goals are to make a pump only car only because I dont want to deal with meth. I dont have goals to make the MOST horse power ever, I just want to make more than I do now, while keeping the car running good, easy, and safe. A lot of people might disagree to what I post because they'd prefer to get the most bang of their buck by doing a LOT more than the mods I posted before even considering upgrading the turbo but for me, Id prefer to get more power than stock with a pump only set up, and it doesnt necessarly have to be the MAX I can get out of it, just something more than what I already have.

It might be that I find Meth unpractical for my lifestyle and I. Ive been working nearly 70-80 hours a week and its hard to find a chance to take a break. Id rather just stop at the pump and go, rather than buying methane seperately. And with some more research, ive read that methane can be used only when certain boost levels are reached. For my case atleast, i find a full pump setup more ideal.

Maybe I just prefer the full pump setup? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Any input on my view? All criticism is welcome

Last edited by AhmadHasib; Aug 7, 2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:08 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought meth kit because I wanted 500awhp daily driver....I bought the HTA 35R kit and reached my goal on straight 93 octane and sold the meth kit I never used. I also prefer to keep things simple...less chances for failure.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

after reviewing a number of posts on here, here is what i would recommend:

start with the cams. GSC s1's idle like stock and make good power, the S2's will be better for the power your trying to achieve. you need springs/retainers for the s2's though.

don't get head studs. its not for safety because there is nothing wrong with the stock ones.

the walbro fuel pump will be fine for up to around 450-500whp. you'll need 750-780cc injectors for high 300 to low 400whp, 880cc injectors for mid 400's and 1000cc for more (along with a more elaborate fuel system). if you want a green, get the 750cc injectors now, then when you get the turbo you'll be ready for them.

get the intercooler. for any of the bigger turbos your considering, it will definately help. the buschur race core is great but pricey (its what i have on my car), but the ETS stuff is awsome for the price, consider the 3.5" core. you can also get their IC pipes to go with the IC.

start with the supporting mods before you get the turbo, because it will make a much bigger difference.

or, i have a buschur 35r cast manifold kit sitting on the shelf. its used and for sale, 2k with LICP.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
start with the cams. GSC s1's idle like stock and make good power, the S2's will be better for the power your trying to achieve. you need springs/retainers for the s2's though.

As i've been reading, most people say the FP Green and the S1's are a great match to eachother. Some say the S2's are too aggressive of cams and should be used for a some what larger turbo? One of my main concerns is the safty of the motor. Would using the GSC S2's be more "dangerous" than using the S1's (due to them being more aggressive). And what would your opinion be on using the S2's with springs and retainers with the FP Green compared to the S1's (other than the power difference)?

Last edited by AhmadHasib; Aug 7, 2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
after reviewing a number of posts on here, here is what i would recommend:

don't get head studs. its not for safety because there is nothing wrong with the stock ones.

the walbro fuel pump will be fine for up to around 450-500whp. you'll need 750-780cc injectors for high 300 to low 400whp, 880cc injectors for mid 400's and 1000cc for more (along with a more elaborate fuel system). if you want a green, get the 750cc injectors now, then when you get the turbo you'll be ready for them.

get the intercooler. for any of the bigger turbos your considering, it will definately help. the buschur race core is great but pricey (its what i have on my car), but the ETS stuff is awsome for the price, consider the 3.5" core. you can also get their IC pipes to go with the IC.

start with the supporting mods before you get the turbo, because it will make a much bigger difference.

or, i have a buschur 35r cast manifold kit sitting on the shelf. its used and for sale, 2k with LICP.

Hey! all the above sounds like a great idea! Wanna do that to my car? (swap out 35r for Red tho)
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
As i've been reading, most people say the FP Green and the S1's are a great match to eachother. Some say the S2's are too aggressive of cams and should be used for a some what larger turbo? One of my main concerns is the safty of the motor. Would using the GSC S2's be more "dangerous" than using the S1's (due to them being more aggressive). And what would your opinion be on using the S2's with springs and retainers with the FP Green compared to the S1's (other than the power difference)?
S2's are not going to "hurt" your motor or really operate differently than S1's or Stock cams provided you upgrade the springs to support the S2 being a bigger cam. The difference is going to be top end power when upgrading to a bigger turbo. Your idle will not be as smooth most likely with the S2 vs the S1's.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:37 AM
Account Disabled

s1's are great for the daily driver that doesn't want a rough idle but want a nice bump in power and retain the stock springs/retainers (cheaper)

s2's also work well in a daily driver provided it's tuned well but there will be lope at idle so if that annoys you this isn't the cam for you. They are about as big as I'd want to go on a stock head...anything larger likely isn't going to do much until you do some head work. The s2's do require springs and retainers which adds to the cost but it's a one time thing.

personally, I can live with the lope and in fact I love that and so the s2's would be my choice. I've used them on everything from stock turbo's to 35R's they work great.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mellon
s1's are great for the daily driver that doesn't want a rough idle but want a nice bump in power and retain the stock springs/retainers (cheaper)

s2's also work well in a daily driver provided it's tuned well but there will be lope at idle so if that annoys you this isn't the cam for you. They are about as big as I'd want to go on a stock head...anything larger likely isn't going to do much until you do some head work. The s2's do require springs and retainers which adds to the cost but it's a one time thing.

personally, I can live with the lope and in fact I love that and so the s2's would be my choice. I've used them on everything from stock turbo's to 35R's they work great.

+1 ^ Is what I chose to go with as well. Stock turbo soon to be EvoRed
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:58 AM
Account Disabled

I can't wait to see more people getting that Red so we can find out what it does in the hands of the average EVO owner.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tnt1106
S2's are not going to "hurt" your motor or really operate differently than S1's or Stock cams provided you upgrade the springs to support the S2 being a bigger cam. The difference is going to be top end power when upgrading to a bigger turbo. Your idle will not be as smooth most likely with the S2 vs the S1's.

If I were to get the S2's + Springs + Retainers over the S1's on an FP Green, would then S2's produce more power than the S1's? By the looks of the post, it says I will notice a top end difference once I plan to upgrade to a larger turbo. But, would I be able to notice a difference in power in the top end between the S2's and S1's on the same FP Green? If so, about what is the range in difference between the S2's + Springs + Retainers compared to the S1's.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AhmadHasib
If I were to get the S2's + Springs + Retainers over the S1's on an FP Green, would then S2's produce more power than the S1's? By the looks of the post, it says I will notice a top end difference once I plan to upgrade to a larger turbo. But, would I be able to notice a difference in power in the top end between the S2's and S1's on the same FP Green? If so, about what is the range in difference between the S2's + Springs + Retainers compared to the S1's.
S2's will add more top end power on any turbo, even stock turbo.

If UPS loves me, my car will have S2's in it with 3.5" ETS fmic and licp this weekend. I could take you for a spin / let you listen to idle see if that is what you are looking for.

Last edited by tnt1106; Aug 7, 2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: editing duh
Old Aug 7, 2008, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

If UPS loves me, my car will have S2's in it with 3.5" ETS fmic and licp this weekend. I could take you for a spin / let you listen to idle see if that is what you are looking for.
That would be great Are you planning on getting a tune soon after you get the cams installed? Would you recomend to drive the car around without a tune made for the new cams (if you drove it easily).

Also if you could PM me where you bought your cams and intercooler from/how much, that would be helpful!

Last edited by AhmadHasib; Aug 7, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

I guess I know who's house I'm gonna have to stake out this week!! J/K I'm currently waiting on some ETS goodies too I'm doing the pt61 with equal length header kit. Now I just gotta get my intercooler and injectors.oh yea and have Kevin put my clutch in.

Back on topic, I was going to go with the fp green but to me it just doesn't make since to spend that much on a turbo to get an extra 35-40whp on pump or spend another $1000 with tune and install for meth and you will still have to max the turbo out to get any real power out of it. Just my opinion,and I was dead set on this set up for a bit too. You say you don't want to run meth or race gas then why not look at ETS's line up of the super value kit's. Great product the pt61 has proven good power 450-475whp on pump.The best part is its still not much more than the fp green with meth set up and you are only on pump gas Op if you haven't already bought a K&N drop in I have one I'll give you. Its in great shape just needs to be cleaned if you want it you'll have to come by and pick it up though I'm bed reedin for the next 2-3 weeks after my knee surgeries. Just let me know!!

Last edited by slvrr; Aug 7, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slvrr
I guess I know who's house I'm gonna have to stake out this week!! J/K I'm currently waiting on some ETS goodies too I'm doing the pt61 with equal length header kit. Now I just gotta get my intercooler and injectors.oh yea and have Kevin put my clutch in.

Back on topic, I was going to go with the fp green but to me it just doesn't make since to spend that much on a turbo to get an extra 35-40whp on pump or spend another $1000 with tune and install for meth and you will still have to max the turbo out to get any real power out of it. Just my opinion,and I was dead set on this set up for a bit too. You say you don't want to run meth or race gas then why not look at ETS's line up of the super value kit's. Great product the pt61 has proven good power 450-475whp on pump.The best part is its still not much more than the fp green with meth set up and you are only on pump gas Op if you haven't already bought a K&N drop in I have one I'll give you. Its in great shape just needs to be cleaned if you want it you'll have to come by and pick it up though I'm bed reedin for the next 2-3 weeks after my knee surgeries. Just let me know!!
Glad I'm moving! My car is safe! How is the knee? Get well soon so we can go race in circles!