Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Am I headed in the right direction?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I headed in the right direction?

Needed an opinion from some knowledgebale people. On my IX, my current mods include:

Megan Cat Back
Megan Cat Delete
Hallman MBC
K&N Drop In
Walboro 255 lph
Tune by KevinD @ 23.5 psi

Im trying to create a list of things Im getting next in line and wanted to see if I'm going in the right direction. I wanted to know If there was something else I should buy before the next bulk of things (seperated by section)

Next on the list in order is:

Megan Down Pipe
Megan O2 Housing

Buschur UICP
Buschur LICP
Front mount Intercooler (any advice on which one to go with?)
(Should I keep the stock air box, or do the cone filter ordeal)

GSC S1 Cams

FP Green

Are there any other basic bolt on things I need in order to help the car breathe better for the FP Green? Any items in there you would recomend me to get instead? Should I consider upgrading the clutch? Larger Injectors? Port the exhaust manifold?

Also curious to know, what kind of power am I looking at with these additions?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

You are going to want to get some larger injectors for sure, probably like 750s should be fine
You can get away with a cone filter and maf adaptor, and keep the stock intake pipe, but you are for sure going to want to get rid of the stock air box.
Going to want to port the manifold, that will help some, too but not nessary, its just nice to do while the turbo is being swaped. And Im pretty sure kevin has a ported one on the shelf........if not we can port one real quick
No point in replacing your clutch till its gone, but I would start saving or getting ready. Kevin recomends the ACT.

Should be a nice setup defintly on the right track.

I would add the injectors and the intake with filter if you can to the list. To save you some money, I know there is a car sitting at kevins right now that is going through a part out, he has the BR upper and lower intercooler pipes for sale. (I work with kevin by the way) I snagged the intake pipe and filter last night off it. He need your stock stuff but the prices are very resonable. He also need injectors and has 750s in the car too. I believe he has a DP also, but not sure it bolts up to the megan catback or not.....defintly PM or send a text to kevin.

Last edited by denver; Aug 6, 2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: should have read the whole post
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
You are going to want to get some larger injectors for sure, probably like 750s should be fine
What part down the road do you suggess I get them? Right before the turbo? Will the Walboro 255lph be sufficent enough to support the injectors?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if your getting injectors install them before the turbo and you shouldn't need to upgrade your stock clutch right away unless you abuse it. You will be looking at 400whp on pump gas . Also the walbro is sufficient for your needs and as for a fmic buschur, ams and ets are all good options
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also, ARP head studs when u install the cams just for safety
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

If you are doing the UICP, then you are probably going with the small battery, right?

Stock air box should be fine, unless it doesn't fit with the UICP.

Also, make sure you get T-Bolt clamps for the IC Pipes.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:26 AM

The stock intercooler are still very good. How much HP you looking for.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Do the small battery also, if you can. It saves some weight, but for me the main benifit is it just cleans up the engine bay and makes things a lot easier to work on. Some pipes fit with or with out a small battery, but some, like the BR (Im not sure if the make a version for the stock battery or not), you need a small battery to have the pipes fit.

Head studs, a lot of people recommend them, but really you wont have problem if you dont replace them right away, Im sure you have ridden in Kevins monster, it has stock head bolts and it is a daily driver with gobs of power I believe he is in the 500 range but dont quote me.

T-bolt clamps are fairly inexpensive, and save a world of headaches from pipes poping off..... GOOD IDEA!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
Do the small battery also, if you can. It saves some weight, but for me the main benifit is it just cleans up the engine bay and makes things a lot easier to work on. Some pipes fit with or with out a small battery, but some, like the BR (Im not sure if the make a version for the stock battery or not), you need a small battery to have the pipes fit.

Head studs, a lot of people recommend them, but really you wont have problem if you dont replace them right away, Im sure you have ridden in Kevins monster, it has stock head bolts and it is a daily driver with gobs of power I believe he is in the 500 range but dont quote me.

T-bolt clamps are fairly inexpensive, and save a world of headaches from pipes poping off..... GOOD IDEA!
Good call on the studs, might as well if you are doing cams.

Also, t-belt if you are getting anywhere close to needing one. If you haven't already done so, start looking at some brake upgrades as well (i.e. fluid, ss lines, pads).

x2 on the battery cleaning up the engine bay.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by m4tt VIII
if your getting injectors install them before the turbo and you shouldn't need to upgrade your stock clutch right away unless you abuse it. You will be looking at 400whp on pump gas . Also the walbro is sufficient for your needs and as for a fmic buschur, ams and ets are all good options
This 400 whp estimate you speak of, what PSI am I looking at?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JdmEvo's
The stock intercooler are still very good. How much HP you looking for.
I dont have a preference as of yet. I just want to get the parts in first. I was told by a knowledgeable person that I should consider upgrading the intercooler though. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free up the exhaust gases by getting the full TBE. I see you have the cat, but a downpipe and a test pipe greatly reduce the restriction of exhaust gas flow on the back of the car.

Cams and injectors followed by meth might be your next step before you decide to drop a few grand on a brand new turbo kit.

Your in the right direction. I like that you are going to get new I/C pipes and couplers and a front mount. I know there are alot of great products to choose from. I bought the AMS front mount. I decided - hey... if they can produce 1000 HP on theirs, mine should be good for the life of the car.

Def as posted before get rid of the stock induction box and free up the intake air flow and with the increase in power, your clutch might not hold up for long. Have some $ aside for when it goes. It's not a question of if, its when. That way you will be ready for the ACT/Exedy/Tilton etc...

Looking good. It's just up to you if you want to go FP green or wait a little and invest in the FP Red. The Red is in high demand and has shown amazing results.

I like your approach, GL on your next mod sir!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

i have the 3 inch ETS intercooler and it has served me well along with the ETS LICP. also if you go with buschur, ams etc you would probably want to get their intercooler pipes to make sure everything fits properly. good luck!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by compscibOi
Cams and injectors followed by meth might be your next step before you decide to drop a few grand on a brand new turbo kit.
I wanted to keep the car on 93 octane pump only, Just wanted to stay away from the meth or anything related. Would you think its a good idea to leave that part out of the setup?

Last edited by AhmadHasib; Aug 6, 2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can run pump 93 and setup a meth kit to come on only when you hit certain boost levels. This is kind of like running race gas on demand without the race gas prices.

Honestly, it really is up to you. There are so many routes to go. If you have the $, go buy the new turbo kit. What exactly are your goals?

I am going to be going meth injection and cams to bump my pump 93 stock turbo IX from 374.9 AWHP / 371 AWTQ to well over 430 AWHP / 440AWTQ on meth.

I think for the money, I can def enjoy my car at that output level for a fraction of the cost of a brand new GT35R. Once I get bored with that, I can drop some money on the ETS kit I have been looking at and then get the car tuned with bigger injectors on a GT35R setup.

It's up to you bro. Spend the $ or stick with the stock turbo. If your goals are 400AWHP, then pump gas will do it for you with cams and meth.

If you are shooting for 500+, I would say if you have the money, drop the dough on a GT35R and get tuned. Be ready for parts to fail unless you build your motor. Prevent and build your car first before pushing in more fuel air and boost. Always step back and take a look at your car performance wise, and say to yourself, will this next mod be resitricted by anything (air flow, boost pressure, etc...) if there is something on your car that will not free up wear and tear and maximize your performance, it's time to replace that part (i.e a down pipe or an O2 housing, or ARP headstuds... etc...) Your car and your wallet will thank you for a little insurance.

This is a great thread!

G/L!

Last edited by compscibOi; Aug 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM.