Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Road and Track Ultimate Track Test

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I don't know that it would be higher on the list... but I would bet that it would get better lap times... and we aren't talking about getting a tune or any of that... we are talking stock vs. stock... add a tune and some coilovers to a IX and you would probably have the same result with the IX coming out ahead again.

Good call!!

People shouldn't resort to ricer logic to try to prove a point.

I will agree that the X was pretty much outgunned here. The fact that they put it in a test with these other cars is truly a testament to it's breed of racing abilities.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

The article was not really fair to the Evo X in my honest opinion. It would most likely have the edge against every car in it's price range, but when you compare it to "super cars" costing 3-4 times the price of the X MR, then it's just not right. If Road & Track compared the Evo to cars costing twice the price of the X MR, then it would make much more sense. The Evo X is not a bad performance car by any means, but it was made to look bad in front of very expensive super cars. The Evo was clearly overshadowed.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:51 PM
iy
Evolving Member

The MR is a $40,000 car. The rest of the cars were $60K and up. This test was pretty unfair from that standpoint...
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am very surprised by the Viper being at the top... to me they are the most expensive POS out there. Horrible resale... and from what I understand, not very good reliability.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:18 PM

I am very surprised by the Viper being at the top... to me they are the most expensive POS out there. Horrible resale... and from what I understand, not very good reliability.
True, though it was not a "stock" car, like the rest. This was a tuned version from the factory, so I guess you could hold that against them.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rKamfar
True, though it was not a "stock" car, like the rest. This was a tuned version from the factory, so I guess you could hold that against them.
yeah, that's a good point... and also at nurenburg ( or however you spell it ) the GT-R broke the track record by 2 seconds or so, and that's up against all sorts of high dollar cars. None of these tests are totally accurate.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:27 PM

Yep. The GT-R is (was?) still being worked on by Nissan from what I've read to extract as much performance as possible from the car. This includes shaving seconds off Nweinawgiebawuebfuabring.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

They suck for resale because if you can afford one chances are your gonna buy it new.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Nissan is also working on the Nissan GT-R Spec V which has also been spotted at the Nurburgring (correct spelling, but without the two dots above the "u"). It's horsepower is supposed to be increased to 520 bhp and will be slimmer by about 200 lbs. The big difference is the price tag is supposed to be around $130,000.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letMeIn
compared to cars they used in this article. Do you really believe Evo 1-9 would fair better ???? Add coilovers, tune the car, and X is better in every aspect to 8-9
By better do you mean faster?
-and-
Are you talking about a modded 10 vs. a stock 8 or 9, or all of them equal?
Apples to apples, I'd bet on the 9 every time. I have yet to read any comparison where a stock 9 didn't smoke a stock 10. So much that even the new whiz-bang electronics can't overcome.
The car mags need to catch up with the bike mags, with respects to ditching the stock tires in favor of the same track-day tire across the board for every car. Tires play too big of a role in how well a car handles to leave the various OE's on the cars. The reader wants to see how well the car does, not how well the stock tires that come on the car does.

Last edited by fastkevin; Aug 7, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Nothing special compared to most of the cars there. But as others have said look at what they compared it too. The comparisons are similar to comparing a tabby cat to a bob cat. The first thing I noticed was the cost. The Evo was nearly half the cost of the next lowest priced car on the list. This makes the Evo more affordable to the average Joe so to speak. Not only that but it was listed with these cars on a list the boasts fastest 10 cars in “fill in the blank” areas. That alone makes the Evo stand out about the average car.

True the Evo did not perform well but it also had the second lowest amount of HP only one lower was the Lotus that cost almost double the price of the Evo. True the Evo is no super car but neither is the price.

Overall compared to the cars they match it up against I am impressed. True we are not “killing giants” with the new Evo but what other cars for this price can be placed on the same level as the others tested. In a way it makes Road and Track look sort of lacking for even testing the Evo against those cars stock. But here is the real kicker. Throw a few mods on the Evo for a decent price and test it against the same cars with the mods you still spend less and can then overtake such cars or get closer times. Either way even if you can afford the other cars get the Evo and mods and you still have more cash in your pocket. That to me seems to be a more sensible choice especially in a time when the economy seems to be standing on shaking legs.

Raist
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I was talking about stock 1-9 vs the SuperCars in the Magazine Test. They would end up in the same place as X .. Either way let Robi and AMS tune the car with $10K budget, and I bet results would be a little different.

Originally Posted by fastkevin
By better do you mean faster?
-and-
Are you talking about a modded 10 vs. a stock 8 or 9, or all of them equal?
Apples to apples, I'd bet on the 9 every time. I have yet to read any comparison where a stock 9 didn't smoke a stock 10. So much that even the new whiz-bang electronics can't overcome.
The car mags need to catch up with the bike mags, with respects to ditching the stock tires in favor of the same track-day tire across the board for every car. Tires play too big of a role in how well a car handles to leave the various OE's on the cars. The reader wants to see how well the car does, not how well the stock tires that come on the car does.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolving Member

but that's the problem. We're not talking about modded cars here. All of these cars are stock or as the factory set them up. In that regard it's an even playing field. What do you expect from the Evo that cost half as much as the next cheapest car and has 2/3 the power of the next most powerful car in the group? This shouldn't suprise anyone.

I think it still did fine.

Also, for those that believe a stock 9 would have performed better......more armchair quarterbacking. In a 0-60 test, probably, but that's not what they tested. A 9 would most likely have done better on the autocross since it's a lighter more agile car than the X. But on the road course stuff We've all heard about the tests done in Japan where the X MR outpaced previous model evos. I doubt it would have been any different here. But we'll never know.

Fanboy's of the 8 and 9 be happy that you own one. I'm still pretty stoked about the Evo X even being part of that group. That's some darn good company to be associating with. Just because it's not the winner, doesn't matter one bit to me.

-k bye
Old Aug 8, 2008, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

my thoughts exactly. surprised the GT-R didnt surpass it.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

What an Evo owner should take away from this is that we were invited to the party at all and we werent DFL.

There is no editor on the planet that doesnt give kudo's to EVO's I-X. Price independent we hold are own. Pretty good for an economy car with a snail eh !!!

I think that perhaps the IX would have edged the X in a few of the contest, but in the end of the day they were against some very high end cars and the ranking wouldnt have changed much.

I think if they would have used a X fq 360 or a IX fq400 you would have seen a substantial increase in ranking. But apparently they could only get a hold of a tuned dodge