Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

500$ tune then a 350$ tune is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500$ tune then a 350$ tune is it worth it?

well my mail in tune seems to be creating a knock or so it seems.... this is going to be looked into further but it looks like i'll end up having to tune it to correct the problem. its 500$ but i have cams and an intercooler that i have on the garage floor. i dont want to install before the problem is fixed and that most likely means a tune. so after the tune i'll end up putting the cams and intercooler in is it worth it for another 350 to retune or should i add a few more power parts before i retune it????? like injectors, fuel rail, or somthing else?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

and a green turbo is out of the question atm since it costs over $1k
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

cams without a tune are not worth it. why not take it easy until the other parts are in and then just get one tune?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
cams without a tune are not worth it. why not take it easy until the other parts are in and then just get one tune?
+1 it'll be worth it
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

maybe i didnt explain it well... to fix my current problem i have to spend 500 on a tune but, i have parts at home i want to install (cams and intercooler). obviously you never add parts until the problem is fixed so no matter what, im spending 500 for a tune to fix my problem.

within the month i'd like to get the parts off my garage floor before something happens to them. so ill install them then get a tune. my question is should i order more parts like injectors and install them when i install the cams and intercooler before i do the 2nd tune?
2nd tune is 350 is it worth it to tune it with just intercooler and cams or should i get more power for my money and add injectors or some other power parts?

makes more sense i hope
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes order all the parts you want to put on before getting a tune. Even if it means waiting a little longer. It will be worth it and you will save $$ in the long run.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why not install everything, then pay for one tune....

why would you tune, install more parts, then tune again???
what exactly is the problem?

if your driving the car now, your not gonna hurt anything by throwing on a IC and cams as long as you take it EASY. just throw them on the day before you go to get tuned. that way you dont have to drive a lot without a tune
Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well you think it is knock from the tune (mail in)?

If you are going to tune it to fix the knock (tune related knock) then I would install all parts before you get it tuned.
Add these if you can, ported TB and ex mani along with the IC and cams.

Why not call David about your mail in tune and see what he says about getting it corrected.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IAmADirtDude
maybe i didnt explain it well... to fix my current problem i have to spend 500 on a tune but, i have parts at home i want to install (cams and intercooler). obviously you never add parts until the problem is fixed so no matter what, im spending 500 for a tune to fix my problem.

within the month i'd like to get the parts off my garage floor before something happens to them. so ill install them then get a tune. my question is should i order more parts like injectors and install them when i install the cams and intercooler before i do the 2nd tune?
2nd tune is 350 is it worth it to tune it with just intercooler and cams or should i get more power for my money and add injectors or some other power parts?

makes more sense i hope
If you want to spend that money to get it tuned then get it tuned and spend another 350 to get it retune my friend. If it was me, I'll get in touch with 4WS and he can help you get that problem fix for only $150! All you need is get yourself a Tatrix cable for about $98 or so, a laptop and Tamer at 4WS will provide you the software and the two of you work together to get it fix. He's very helpful and you can even call him 3 in the morning if you worry too much about it I was only just kidding about that part. But yeah, Tamer is a real nice guy and knowledgable about what he's doing. Check his website out under my sig. But your money is your money. Do what makes you happy. Hope you made the good decision
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:51 AM
Evolved Member

4WS tuning indeed. Contact him and he'll make your car run like a skyrocket
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Plz explain your issue a little better.

I would Install your parts then get a retune.
No point in paying twice for the same thing.

And get a laptop and Tactrix cable with the $ you saved, so you can see the logs, map etc. yourself.

Would be so much easier to diagnose that way.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

There is absolutely no reason to pay $500 for a stock ECU tune. There are several registered vendors on this board that will tune your car for a fraction of that.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

I would def put all the other parts first, then get a tune. y waste ~$350-500 for a retune when you can spend that money on other parts?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

save the cash get more parts then one tune.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You need ECUFlash for sure. A mail in tune is a joke as every car is different. You need to log the car to determine if its knocking.

Do yourself a favor and get a laptop and a cable. Even if you pay for a dyno tune being able to log your car and is the best thing you can do to keep your EVO in check

Quick Reply: 500$ tune then a 350$ tune is it worth it?