Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer Scratched My Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Scratched My Dashboard

I recently had some work done on my EVO with and one thing involved removing my guage cluster for further inspection. I was recently having problems with the gas reading in my car which when the gas tank gets filled full tank, the gas gauge wasn't reading full all the way even though it was full. They had fixed that problem by replacing both fuel sending units with brand new ones. During the process of removing the black plastic bezel around the gauge cluster, the dealership mechanic made some very noticeable scratches on the dashboard. I am VERY-VERY **** about the condition of my new EVO and this is something that makes me upset. The work was done 2 weeks ago but I just noticed all this bad scratches 2 days ago when a curtain angle of the sunlight shined on my dashboard and all this scratches appeared so clearly.

My question to you guys is, don't you think they owe me by replacing my dashboard and tell them that the next time they work on my car, they need to be very careful. I think if the dealership cause this problem that wasn't there, they should fix it?
Old Aug 24, 2003, 03:56 PM

They scratch it, they fix it!
Old Aug 24, 2003, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sue em.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Well if it took you 2weeks to notice it, it couldn't be that bad.

But I know how you feel, especially when it wasn't your own doing. Talk to the dealer and see what they say.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

talk to the dealer. there's really nothing you could have done to scratch the dash, and logically, it was whoever worked on it last.

good luck.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Two Weeks

Make sure you come up with a good excuse as to why it took you two weeks to bring it to their attention. Tell them you were working a lot or that you were out of town.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Two Weeks

Originally posted by xphillipjrx
Make sure you come up with a good excuse as to why it took you two weeks to bring it to their attention. Tell them you were working a lot or that you were out of town.
Actually, I didn't need to come up with an excuse. There wasn't any reason to. I just told them that I just noticed it a couple days ago. I showed my complaint to the service manager who knows me very well and told me that they will have a repair guy try to fix it and if it isn't to my satisfaction, he will replace my dashboard completely. I am very satisfied with the service I'm getting from my local dealer as all my complaints which are always valid are dealt with in a very professional manner. This is how they will keep me as a satisfied customer.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

how hard is it to replace the top cover of the dashboard? can it be done without taking out the whole dash board?
what about the VIN number?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

I think you should let it go. Swapping the dashboard is a huge job. It's completely outlandish to replace the dash. You'll be without your car for weeks and it's such an involved job the new problems worse than your last one will surface. Maybe even a REAL problem.

It's a sportscar not a pebble beach concours winner.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TD05HR
I think you should let it go. Swapping the dashboard is a huge job. It's completely outlandish to replace the dash. You'll be without your car for weeks and it's such an involved job the new problems worse than your last one will surface. Maybe even a REAL problem.

It's a sportscar not a pebble beach concours winner.
I can relate though, just bc its sports car doesn mean it has to be scratched... I mean my scratches arent that bad - acutally cosmitically they are, but they are noticable unless i point to them from the passanger side. however I see them 24/7 as the driver and I know they are there.

all I have/want to do is change the TOP portion of my dash.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

^ +1

I had to have the top dash replaced a few years back and there were more scratches and nicks from them removing all the trim, also they installed it crooked. and had to bring it back twice.

Just make sure they are real carefull.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
^ i guess u dont' care much for your posessions... @ TD05HR
dash = visible.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

It only took me 2 hours to take out my entire dash on my lancer since i kno what i'm doing. also did it without removing the steering wheel. regular lancer dash is basically the same as the evo dash. so its not really that involved. but i agree with TD05HR, if its only minor i would just let it go, when you remove the dash it NEVER fits back exactly like factory. some of those damn clips i swear are like one time use and once you remove and reinstall its a little bit looser.

but...do what you want.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

unless you have one helluva good dealer your pretty much screwed because of the two week wait. They are not going to buy your excuse that you didnt notice it untill two weeks later even though i believe you. good luck.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
...just noitced that it took u 2 weeks to realize u had a scratch?!?! ...

..guess you aren't as **** as you / we thought.

Quick Reply: Dealer Scratched My Dashboard