Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How long does your clutch last?
Clutch gone at under 5k miles.
11.59%
Clutch gone at under 10k miles.
12.36%
Clutch gone at under 20k miles.
8.96%
Clutch gone at under 30k miles.
3.40%
No problems with the clutch.
63.68%
Voters: 647. You may not vote on this poll

I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2004, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
have 11k on the stock clutch , 4 track day . no drag racing or launching from a stop .
have no problems what so ever ..
Old May 15, 2004, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright my clutch at 19408 miles is fine. I took it to track first week i got it after break in was done put miles on fast i would say 20 to 30 6500 to 7000 grand launches. BUt after a sunday of autocrossing she got falt beded to dealership becasue of the dif or they think tranny i dont know warrenty should cover right 70000 7 year powertain **** Other then that **** once its fixed ill be ready for more fun.
Old May 15, 2004, 05:19 PM

My clutch is starting to slip now (14K miles). I haven't had any problems before this, though. I started autocrossing at 11K miles though -- might be a correlation there. To be honest, I felt lucky the clutch lasted as long as it did. I just purchased an exedy hyper single plate clutch. Hopefully this will be the last clutch I have to purchase. Question though, which part of my warranty will this clutch void? I hope it doesn't void the warranty on my powertrain... Anyone know?
Old May 15, 2004, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

...Hopefully this will be the last clutch I have to purchase. Question though, which part of my warranty will this clutch void? I hope it doesn't void the warranty on my powertrain... Anyone know?
If you're worried about your drivetrain warranty, then you should have had your dealer install an OEM replacement. Granted technically speaking the Exedy is the OEM clutch, but odds are MMNA won't see it that way.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
If you're worried about your drivetrain warranty, then you should have had your dealer install an OEM replacement. Granted technically speaking the Exedy is the OEM clutch, but odds are MMNA won't see it that way.
Granted, but it's not worth paying the kind of money to have the same crappy clutch put back in the car. I undestand it's a tradeoff here, but I'd rather not have to pay upwards of $1500 a year to get the clutch replaced. I'd rather take my chances on my transmission going out. I was just wondering which particular part of my warranty would be voided. And what did you mean about Exedy being OEM? Are our clutches manufactured by Exedy? I hadn't heard that before, but I guess it's possible. I just learned the other day that technically we all have Takata seat belts -- granted they're not 3 inch cam lock belts.
Old May 16, 2004, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

A friend of mine occasionally street races and has at least 20 1/4 passes from low 12's and one 11.92 ( best ) 1.68-1.83 60ft's . he's under 15k miles and he drives the S***t out of it . Suprisingly his stock clutch is still holding up with no slipping in high rpm's.

I'm running mid 12's on a stock clutch under 15k miles as well with no clutch issues.

both our build dates are in May 2003
Old May 17, 2004, 05:32 AM

if you did anything to your car it voids the warrenty exhaust VOID intake VOID blow off VOID remote start VOID i guess it depends on your dealership but all i know is service guy told me anything done to car will void it so put back to stock when you take it in
Old May 17, 2004, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by orion981
Granted, but it's not worth paying the kind of money to have the same crappy clutch put back in the car. I undestand it's a tradeoff here, but I'd rather not have to pay upwards of $1500 a year to get the clutch replaced. I'd rather take my chances on my transmission going out. I was just wondering which particular part of my warranty would be voided. And what did you mean about Exedy being OEM? Are our clutches manufactured by Exedy? I hadn't heard that before, but I guess it's possible. I just learned the other day that technically we all have Takata seat belts -- granted they're not 3 inch cam lock belts.
There is another thread that went into fairly great detail about Evo clutches ... if I remember correctly, ACT who is making replacement clutches for our Evo said that Exedy actually makes the OEM clutch. As far as the warranty is concerned, changing to a 3rd party clutch will probably void your entire drivetrain warranty. There seem to have been several cases of this happening ... again, search through the threads on here to find 'em.
Old May 19, 2004, 03:47 AM

So if I'm a new stick driver and I put on 20k miles a year, all highway though, then I'm going to be going through one clutch a year if I'm LUCKY??? BTW I plan on babying my car, I want this car to last like 3-4 years 60-80K+ miles atleast!!! (With minimal problems too! A car is supposed to beable to drive, not being fixed all the time) So tell me what you think.. I really do like the evo though, the style the speed the parts everything, why settle for a car I know that doesn't have the potential for power/handling in my reach? I don't need to be a professional racer to own an evo, I just want to beable to eventually do some spirited driving after I get used to it(1year+). but this thread really worries me about getting an evo even though I want to get one so bad and so close to it. and yes I'm going to drive like a grandma until i'm confident and i can slowly start to push the car a little bit more and more. I'm 20 but i'm careful as hell, a perfectionist, but i want to have some fun too

Last edited by PinnacleChronos; May 19, 2004 at 04:16 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

I think some peoples definition of "babying" it might be thr problem. Trying to drive "smooth" or some nonsense like that might be riding the clutch. If you don't understand that the clutch pedal should be used as little and quickly as possible and either in or out, on or off, then babying it might be part of the misuse and their destruction.
Old May 19, 2004, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PinnacleChronos
So if I'm a new stick driver and I put on 20k miles a year, all highway though, then I'm going to be going through one clutch a year if I'm LUCKY??? BTW I plan on babying my car, I want this car to last like 3-4 years 60-80K+ miles atleast!!! (With minimal problems too! A car is supposed to beable to drive, not being fixed all the time) So tell me what you think..
I think the Evo is not for you. Even if you end up having nothing break, you still have to put a lot of maintenance into it. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that average clutch life of a well-driven Evo is going to be between 20-25K miles. Then there's the cost of tires, brakes, synthetic oil changes... this car might be inexpensive to buy, but it is definitely not cheap to maintain. Anytime you start getting into the world of serious high-performance cars, you will find most if not all of these issues to be true. Look at the maintenance schedules of some of the cars the Evo competes with performance wise and you'll see.
Old May 19, 2004, 10:18 AM

so in all honesty, how much would it cost to maintain an evo? Setting aside the synthetic oil changes because $40/3000 miles around where I live isn't that much to spend on a great car. And setting aside the 93 octange gas because I already only use that. So Yearly in all honesty what would I have to be spending money on to maintain a well driven evo for regular daily driver use(or my highway driving), not race or autoxer?

Last edited by PinnacleChronos; May 19, 2004 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 19, 2004, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Pinnacle... check out this thread,

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70620

I think that'll answer some of your questions. I've only had mine for about two months now - just cleared 5K miles. I'm planning on getting a new set of tires this fall (hopefully the Advans will last until late September/ early October) and they'll have to be winter tires with a new set of Advans (or possible new rims and tires) going back on the car in the spring.
Old May 19, 2004, 12:19 PM

Well I read everythign and it seems that this car costs about just as much as any other car to maintain, except for the tires and I might save a lil money and not buy performance tires. But only thing I worry about is if I put on 20k miles highway a year, and these clutches are only expected to last 20-25k miles a year, that means im spending $1800 EVERY year on a clutch? That's really bad for normal driving isn't it?
Old May 19, 2004, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

This thread alone is what makes me paranoid while driving the car haha. Please lord let me get through a year....

Quick Reply: I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?