Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How long does your clutch last?
Clutch gone at under 5k miles.
11.59%
Clutch gone at under 10k miles.
12.36%
Clutch gone at under 20k miles.
8.96%
Clutch gone at under 30k miles.
3.40%
No problems with the clutch.
63.68%
Voters: 647. You may not vote on this poll

I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2005, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got over 38k on my car so far, no problems at all with the clutch. Shifts smooth, no grinding etc.
Granted, I've only launched hard 10 or so time, smelled it burn a few times. Feels like it did at 1k miles
Old Jan 27, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

I just put in the twin disk with over 51000 miles on the stcok clutch . I have vishnu 1++
Old Jan 28, 2005, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Peculiar that 65% (345) people have had NO problems what-so ever, while 24% (120 people) have had problems with 10k miles and under. Not to offend anyone but Im sure abuse is most definitely a huge factor in that. You can burn a clutch once and ruin it, so if you bought your car at the dealer with 1k miles or under, Im positive someone at the dealer beat on it.

I almost bought a 2004 Black EVO with 750miles on it a month ago. That is, until the salesman (who was a scumbag btw) took me for a drive in it. Im still wondering if it was his first time driving stick. He revved it to about 4-5k in reverse, got out of the lot and proceeded after 20 seconds of starting the car (disregarding warming it up of course) to floor it thru 1st and 2nd, shifting so unnecessarily hard. He then let me drive it back to the dealership. When I was driving it, it just didnt feel right, clutch was releasing VERY low to the floor and there was tons of vibration in the brakes and steering wheel (even when not breaking). The car was definitely not taken care of. Anyway, thats just with 750 miles! Imagine 2-3k miles of abuse.

I kept my mouth shut to the guy, but when we got back to the dealership I showed my lack of enthusiasm. THEN, the salesman proceeded to tell me how he did a four wheel burnout in the back with the car and just how fun the thing is to drive. WELL, that REALLY SOLD ME! That sold me to leave.

The funny part is when I was haggling with the sales manager, he was like "Im giving your a 34k NEW CAR for 29,900. I told him, a new car has 0 miles, not 750. This was Jan05 by the way so the technically even if it had 0 miles, it was still not NEW, 2005 is NEW! Forget the fact that it was 04 and USED. What a deal! Dealership was Brad Benson in NJ.
Old Jan 28, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

30.4k miles here, stock clutch, good as new!
Old Jan 28, 2005, 10:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, got ACT and sounds like my t case is going. Great! yay! more money going out!

i'm going nuts here.

that's with no launches. I think it just fu cks it up when you shift or downshift.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

mine burned out at just under 13k. been driving it much better since then.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

that's the exact mileage as my '03 clutch lasted
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

56K, original clutch. Original driver. Learned to drive manual tranny 25 yrs ago. Experience might play a role here.....or just not beating the sh.. out of your car.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i don't race my car or anything, and my clutch went out at about 7k miles
Old Feb 4, 2005, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mndeerslayer
56K, original clutch. Original driver. Learned to drive manual tranny 25 yrs ago. Experience might play a role here.....or just not beating the sh.. out of your car.
I think it's just a matter of not slipping the clutch too much. It's all too easy in these cars, and some people aren't ok with the slightly boggy off-the-line "everyday" start.

If you just got an evo, and you are revving to 2k-2500 to get off the line at a stop light all the time, don't expect your clutch to last > 10k, if you get that far even.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 10:07 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mndeerslayer
You guys getting less than 15K miles out of your clutch have to realize how you sound to guys like us. I'm only at 30K but I'm still on my stocker too and I don't baby my car. If you burn it out that quick, your doing something wrong.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

i know its very easy to blame driving habits for you guys who haven't had problems. Its understandable...but I really think you should look at all the data. Not only in this poll (Where there is a 25% failure rate) but all the other ones. Alot of evo owners have had this problem. There are alot of possibilites on this other than just "knowing how to drive" Just cause it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen! If it was something dangerous a 25% failure rate would be completley unacceptable. Just because it is a expensive (makes Mitsu plenty of $$$ in labor) they let it go. There are alot of things that could go wrong in a batch production. I would bet that the majority of the cars with clutch failures come from the same production line
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
i know its very easy to blame driving habits for you guys who haven't had problems. Its understandable...but I really think you should look at all the data. Not only in this poll (Where there is a 25% failure rate) but all the other ones. Alot of evo owners have had this problem. There are alot of possibilites on this other than just "knowing how to drive" Just cause it didn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen! If it was something dangerous a 25% failure rate would be completley unacceptable. Just because it is a expensive (makes Mitsu plenty of $$$ in labor) they let it go. There are alot of things that could go wrong in a batch production. I would bet that the majority of the cars with clutch failures come from the same production line

Out of that 25% about 95% of them launch their cars. So if you launch, its going to go (don't complain). If you dont launch, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
Out of that 25% about 95% of them launch their cars. So if you launch, its going to go (don't complain). If you dont launch, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!

How long have you had your car? How many miles?
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NYREDEVO
Just as this "poll' is not conclusive, neither is your statement about the production line manuf. error nor quality of parts/materials.

In fact, who knows if there is more than one production line for the evo to begin with.

Quick Reply: I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?