Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How long does your clutch last?
Clutch gone at under 5k miles.
11.59%
Clutch gone at under 10k miles.
12.36%
Clutch gone at under 20k miles.
8.96%
Clutch gone at under 30k miles.
3.40%
No problems with the clutch.
63.68%
Voters: 647. You may not vote on this poll

I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sure are alot of FAST & FURIOUS types around here...
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

the funny thing is my clutch grabs REALLY high so I brought it to the dealer, and they said nothing is WRONG with it. They also said not to worry about the whole tranny vib

either they dont know, or they are just stupid. Either way, they said that they documented it in case I have further problems, and they didnt say anything about my TB with test pipe, or buschur intake
Old Aug 26, 2003, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sano
All you people who keep claiming that its all driver error, I am going to laugh when yours goes out and your *****ing. Their is no need to flame people becuase they are upset that they have to spend ALOT of money on a 30,000 dollar car.

For those of you who have had better luck more power to you, but I know for a fact that with basically 2,500 miles of highway driving mine went out. there is just NO reason for it. And the fact that mitsu won't stand by there product should outrage more of you than it does.

As for the street racing comment, like I said You can make some one look pretty stupid from a stop light just going up to the speed limit. In doing so not breaking ANY laws. I think your the one that can't read. Don't be gay!!!! If you buy this car and don't drive it spirtidly (within the law) you bought this car for the wrong reasons, LIke I said don't be gay!! I am not pulling a brian earl spillner.

I hope this wasn't directed at me because I certainly never mentioned you being a poor driver.

All I was saying is don't generalize the problem without knowing all the details. There are so many things that can lead to premature failure that it will be impossible to ever point blame on Mitsu or anyone else. For example, if someone rides the clutch pedal (even without knowing they do this), the clutch will wear pretty damn fast. Do lot's of 6000 rpm launches and the clutch is not gonna feel so well after awhile.

I agree that certain cars will have issues, and in fact have noticed the engagment height of the clutch pedal to be quite high which can, in some cases, cause premature wear.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

9200 miles ....

clutch feels okay ...

knock on wood?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

I read this post from front to back. No I didn't vote, no I dont plan on my stock clutch lasting very long. High horsepower, 4wd and sticky tires, not to mention a multitude of other things will not allow this car to be easy on clutches. Im aware of this and accept it. However, those of you who "dont want to beat on your 30K sports car, go buy a 350z or an S2000 or even worse (gulps) a BMW. If you want to cruise fast and look good, drive something else. The Evo is meant to be driven by someone who has the cash to spend it, or if they dont, they find it. I can afford an Evo and the mods. Other than that, I have little other passions. I pound on my Evo and enjoy the hell out of it, as I do my very fast ZX12R. Its broken 5 times and its a year old. Im not wreckless, I put it through its paces. It breaks. I fix it, and continue to have fun.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

I wonder if clutch issues have something to do with your build date... Mine's April 03 with almost 3k miles and no probs with abusing the **** out of it.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

I've got 12,400 on mine so far and it feels fine. (january build date)

I've also been driving manual vehicles for over 10 years.

But the EVO is the first car that I have EVER owned which works best with high rpm clutch drops for drag racing.

I've done a couple of 5k launches and a 3k launch.

The clutch restrictor definitely works against this!...but in general it makes driving the EVO soooo EASY. I've let my GF take the EVO out a few times and she shifts and engages the clutch with absolute ease. Even she has commented that this is one of the easiest and most comfortable manual cars she has ever driven.

If I was seriously into drag racing...I would of spent a few grand more and instead bought a SVT cobra specifically for this. I'd throw on some slicks and probably break into the 11's stock.

I didn't buy an EVO for this type of driving.

But...I still dont feel 100% sure their isn't a problem though.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:44 AM
In Timeout

Same here April with about 3k miles on it. Have had it about 2 months now. have done 2 3k starts and it's pretty damn fun but don't want to do a clutch just yet :-)

Originally posted by Deceit
I wonder if clutch issues have something to do with your build date... Mine's April 03 with almost 3k miles and no probs with abusing the **** out of it.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

am i the only one wanting my clutch to die out so i have an excuse for myself to get a better one?

BTW... on both my evos i launched it right out the mitsu parking lot... had no clutch issues with either and yes im an *** for doing it but im honest
and it helps a lot to be friends with some people at my local mitsu so they can appreciate my mods and not use it to void my warranty..
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

One of the regs on this site put down sub 13s with the stock clutch. There doesn't seem to be a design defect but with the complaints being what they are and the lack of quality control I have seen from Mitsu I suspect manufacturing variations in the restrictor valves. The cup is a cheap little part, the kind that can easily be overlooked. If it malfunctions I see the possiblity of it interfering with the clamping pressure on the disk in a way sufficient to allow excessive slippage. If sever enough. slippage might well heat the disk beyond design limits. This type of disk will burn if over heated as many of us have observerved first hand.

Sorry for the apples to oranges reference to the sti and str 4 I was venting. Maybe we should dump the Advans and get the Eagles Mitsu puts on the 3g Eclipse GT (NOT).

Last edited by WildRice; Aug 28, 2003 at 02:49 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
the funny thing is my clutch grabs REALLY high so I brought it to the dealer, and they said nothing is WRONG with it. They also said not to worry about the whole tranny vib

either they dont know, or they are just stupid. Either way, they said that they documented it in case I have further problems, and they didnt say anything about my TB with test pipe, or buschur intake
I highlighted a bit of your post and will offer a translation: The Evo we sold you had a warranty on its original "as-engineered" configuration. We've noted and documented all of the re-engineering you've done to the car's engine to increase the torque and power which must be transmitted throught the clutch/transmission. If you do ever bring your car back with an actual reproduceable clutch/transmission problem, we'll not only refuse to fix it under warranty but we'll also charge you for "diagnostics."

Last edited by Seņor Info; Aug 28, 2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 05:56 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally posted by Seņor Info
I highlighted a bit of your post and will offer a translation: The Evo we sold you had a warranty on its original "as-engineered" configuration. We've noted and documented all of the re-engineering you've done to the car's engine to increase the torque and power which must be transmitted throught the clutch/transmission. If you do ever bring your car back with an actual reproduceable clutch/transmission problem, we'll not only refuse to fix it under warranty but we'll also charge you for "diagnostics."
LMAO!
Old Sep 10, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

my clutch grabs really high too, and the pedal has very little feedback as far as engagment goes...also engament is inconsistant...all of these things seem like they can be resolved with the removal of the restrictor valve and adding the steel braided clutch line. I know I have simply gotten used to the strangeness of it, after about 700 miles...so that might attribute some people saying it sucked at first and got better. I think its just natural that people will adapt to it to some extent.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 06:45 PM
Former Sponsor

well i got my wish!!!.. my clutch finally took a **** on me after over 3k miles of 6k clutch drops with well over 100 hp than stock...
my clutch was never a problem.. my other evo had over 6k miles with most of those miles had a start with 6k clutch drops... i think REAL clutch problems are isolated and most are just driver error... i now have the Exedy Twin Plate and it feels great

BTW.. my stock clutch always grabbed at the bottom and sometimes closer to the middle due to traffic driving

Last edited by Rollaway; Sep 15, 2003 at 06:47 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 04:22 PM

i heard that the clutches are weak on purpose so the tranny doesnt take such a hard hit??

Quick Reply: I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?