Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: How long does your clutch last?
Clutch gone at under 5k miles.
11.59%
Clutch gone at under 10k miles.
12.36%
Clutch gone at under 20k miles.
8.96%
Clutch gone at under 30k miles.
3.40%
No problems with the clutch.
63.68%
Voters: 647. You may not vote on this poll

I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2003, 03:23 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 90GSX-03EVO

You mean that if you abuse them, they wear out fast? Yeah, they are like that. Kinda like if you spin the tires, they will go bald.
Dude quit trolling my thread. Not everyone drives like grandma or accel as fast as a yugo. The evo is a sports car and the problem is that the clutch wears fast compared to a 227hp modded to 300 wrx vs stock evo at 271.

If your clutch didn't die before 10k miles good for you and let others share their opinions instead ranting over and over again how everyone can't drive a stick as well as you.

Last edited by gtr; Nov 9, 2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2003, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by gtr

If your clutch didn't die before 10k miles good for you and let others share their opinions instead ranting over and over again how everyone can't drive a stick as well as you.
I'm not trying to flame on people who have had clutch problems with low miles. One of my friends where I live (the only other Evo in the area) had his clutch die at around 2500 miles. He replaced it with another OEM clutch, did the SS line change and the restrictor removal. Now his clutch is holding up fine. Neither of us are easy on our cars, but we both have different driving styles. My style seems to be ideal for the stock setup, where his style seems ideal for the SS line/restrictor removal setup. Both or our cars have a March 2003 build date.

If you think I drive like a grandma and accelerate like a Yugo, you are grossly mistaken.

Once again, I am not trying to bash people for how they drive (at least not in this thread) and I am not trying to say that I am the world's best AWD M/T driver.

I've also been trying to use my car's clutch as a test bed for my own evaluation. I know I can read everyone else's experience, but what does it really mean to me? Some were with highway miles, some were with stop and go traffic, some with hard launches, some with complete babying. So here is how I drive mine from day to day in detail.

It is 40 miles one way from where I live to where I work. In the morning, I start the car and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes before ever moving it. When I do start to take off, I have no chatter at all. On the drive in to work, I take Interstate 10, to decrease stop and go traffic. Going this way, I have a total of 8 stop lights that I have to pass through before I arrive there. Total driving time is usually 35 minutes this way. In the evenings, I drive on Highway 90, which is covered in stop lights. I probably pass through over 25 on my way home. The travel time in the afternoon is usually about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I do this at least 5 times a week. I have never launched my car, never ground gears while shifting, never missed a gear, never rode the clutch. I always speed match the RPM's when I upshift/downshift, always blip the throttle to 2000 RPM when taking off from a dead stop and release clutch as it falls back down and passes 1500 RPM. I always come off the throttle before pressing in the clutch for a gear change while accelerating, and have the clutch fully engaged before getting back on the throttle. My car has never given me a problem and the stock clutch feels just like it did when it was brand new. I now have just under 11,000 miles on it. The car is slightly modified.

I wish there was a way we could all see why the car's clutch seems to fail so quickly for some while lasts great for others.Build date could very well be it. Driving style could also be the culprit. Who knows. I just wish that Mitsu would not have such an aggressive stance about it. It really makes me feel like they should have sold this car with no warranty at all. I would have gladly saved a few thousand if I could have deleted the warranty.

Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
As long as mine lasts 12 mos, or 12k miles when I pick up my 2004, That's fine. I hope I don't get a bad batch piece.
Just an update here, almost 11,000 miles and no sign of clutch wear.

Last edited by wkehn; Sep 22, 2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

17000 miles still going strong but reading this **** makes me nervous.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Thats good stuff to read about!
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Mine was built in June 2003.

I bought it in mid july and I have 5500 miles now.

My clutch is going, it chatters right at the top of the pedal travel. Just enough to irritate the hell out of me. This symptom tells me the pressure plate is wore out / just plain weak to begin with. I took it into the dealership, but they said they do not feel anything wrong with it?? I am not sure if the tech's at this particular dealership are just plain ignorant, or just do not want to work on an Evo, but the problem is quite apparent. I let a few of my friends drive the car, and without me saying a word about the clutch (i wasnt even thinking about it), they noticed the problem right form the first time they let the clutch out.

I have done 2 agressive launches, and the rest of the time is your normal take off. I dont beat my car, i do drive it hard though... but who buys this car to baby it? they build these cars for people to drvie them.

I will admit this is my first awd car, but i have never had a clutch go out on me so quickly. I do not think its my driving that caused this particular symptom.

I also read in my warranty manual the the pressure plate IS covered? maybe im just reading it wrong? If that is the case, the pressure plate failure caused the other parts in the clutch assembly to fail.

I am taking my car to another dealership in a few days, I do not feel like dealing with morons that can't even acknowledge that my clutch is chattering, it even did it when THEY were driving the car with ME in it, because I was so irritated that they said they did not see or feel anything wrong. They said that is normal, is is the gears in the transmission?? anyways... off to another dealer for another opinion.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by voodooutt
Mine was built in June 2003.

I bought it in mid july and I have 5500 miles now.

My clutch is going, it chatters right at the top of the pedal travel. Just enough to irritate the hell out of me. This symptom tells me the pressure plate is wore out / just plain weak to begin with.
I'm not so sure what you're describing is the clutch wearing out since these discs tend to be a bit more chattery than the average car street disc. Mine is the same way near the top of the pedal travel but doesn't slip or chatter at all once engaged during normal or spirited acceleration. I would suggest that anyone having weird pedal issues adjust it so that engagement is closer to the floor using the threaded rod in the pedal mechanics. Clutches tend to wear out really fast when the engagment height is set too high.

Just my .02
Old Nov 10, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by wkehn

Clutches tend to wear out really fast when the engagment height is set too high.

Just my .02
I believe this is why my Exedy Hyper single disc died with only 4k on it.
Old Nov 10, 2003, 11:16 PM

Hey guys,
I never had an AWD before, but I drive manual cars for 23 years. I didn't know what clutch slippage was, but now when I just normally start the car in 1st gear, with the car still cold, I hear this took-took-took noise, like the clutch is slipping, usually doing this when I shift to second, then to third. When the car warms up, then it doesn't happen as noticeably or not at all. I have only 1800 miles on it, never launched, never drag raced it, just spirited drving in cannyons and twisties twice. Is this premature clutch wear or just a bad case of cold clutch?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 09:20 PM

*BUMP!*
Old Nov 23, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

March 2003 build - 14,500 miles, a few auto-crosses, canyon runs, a cross-country drive, freeway stop and go, etc. - NO clutch problems. I've slipped it pretty bad a couple of times goofing off, but still nothing wrong.
Old Nov 23, 2003, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Chris in HB
Update:

March 2003 build - 14,500 miles, a few auto-crosses, canyon runs, a cross-country drive, freeway stop and go, etc. - NO clutch problems. I've slipped it pretty bad a couple of times goofing off, but still nothing wrong.
Same build date, same driving patterns (minus the intentional and occasional slips), almost the same mileage. I have 11,900 miles with no problems.
Old Nov 25, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 6400 miles, my clutch feels the same as brand new. I have only dropped it from high rpms once and it bit like a pit bull and I smoked all four tires through much of 1st gear. However, it feels much more willing to slip when you are full of passengers and needing to get a fast start. I actually hate driving my evo with more than one other passenger because the handling and acceleration characteristcs change so noticably.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 01:39 AM

Mine died right at 10k
Old Nov 26, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Just went over 10,000 miles.

Quick Reply: I don't believe it! Is everyone's clutch dying at under 10k miles?