Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying a car in California, and living in another state, Sales Tax Questions.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have I believe 5-days in California to change over the reg. The DMV woudl like you to buy a temporary operating permit. It's like 5-10 bucks, and isn't worth the time standing in line at the DMV to get it.
So you roll out here on a weekend (DMV's closed), buy it, and roll back out on your way to Mizzou. It would help if the car had current reg, and no other reason for you to draw attention, but seriously, what's the odds of YOU getting pulled over? Even if you did, you'd just explain that you just drove in to pick up the car, and are on your way home. Considering the DMV is closed on weekends, you're doing the only thing you can, and are taking it home. I'm willing to bet most cops don't even know about the temporary operating permit, and you'd just show the registration and your bill of sale, and be on your way. I wouldn't even give it another thought. If you decide you want the car, come out, get it, and drive it home. Just don't hang out here for days.

Last edited by fastkevin; Aug 17, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
You have I believe 5-days in California to change over the reg. The DMV woudl like you to buy a temporary operating permit. It's like 5-10 bucks, and isn't worth the time standing in line at the DMV to get it.
So you roll out here on a weekend (DMV's closed), buy it, and roll back out on your way to Mizzou. It would help if the car had current reg, and no other reason for you to draw attention, but seriously, what's the odds of YOU getting pulled over? Even if you did, you'd just explain that you just drove in to pick up the car, and are on your way home. Considering the DMV is closed on weekends, you're doing the only thing you can, and are taking it home. I'm willing to bet most cops don't even know about the temporary operating permit, and you'd just show the registration and your bill of sale, and be on your way. I wouldn't even give it another thought. If you decide you want the car, come out, get it, and drive it home. Just don't hang out here for days.
I would more than likely buy the car & leave immediately. But I was thinking, maybe I should hang out for a day or two. I dont know, I figured I would ask here & hopefully get a clear answer. Seems to be a mix of responses.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you buy from a private party, you need a bill of sale. you take the bill of sale to your DMV and you will pay taxes on the amount of the bill of sale when you register your car. now if you dont have a bill of sale, then you will end up paying taxes on the cars value. most cases the value is higher then what the private seller sells the car for so be sure to get one.....

also im not sure if the bill of sale needs to be notarized either
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

It depends on the laws for your state i believe. You buy the car from cali private party. Then when you go to register it in your state you either have to pay the tax or you dont. Call your local dmv and see what your state laws are.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackerJackToy
I would more than likely buy the car & leave immediately. But I was thinking, maybe I should hang out for a day or two. I dont know, I figured I would ask here & hopefully get a clear answer. Seems to be a mix of responses.
Legally, the Ca DMV would want you to buy a transport permit as I wrote.
If you're worried about it, drive the car you come in with, for the few days that you're gonna be here for.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
Legally, the Ca DMV would want you to buy a transport permit as I wrote.
If you're worried about it, drive the car you come in with, for the few days that you're gonna be here for.
I would be coming to Cali, in a Southwest Jet Airplane.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

You'll be fine... You get pulled over, just show the cop the bill of sale and explain you're on your way back home. If the thing has loud exhaust, and looks like a full rice-mobile, then you may get a little grief. I dunno... All I'm good for is giving you the correct DMV info. Never had any experience getting popped for illegal mods.