Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test Flight

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Test Flight

Well...I went and did it. Just got back from my first test drive...holy sheeeiiittee. Now, of course, I gotta have one. Coming from mostly German cars, it's a different feel, but I'm now ready to sell my soul for an EVO.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:00 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
If you like performance cars, going from a Jetta to an Evolution would be a pretty dramatic jump. I've personally never liked the type of performance German cars give, especially at the price.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 01:37 PM

It was a few bucks under $30,000, silver with wing and no sunroof. Yeah, it's a big jump from my current ride, but I've had a few pretty fast German cars, so i'm no stranger to performance. They are quite different from Japanese cars, true, but both have their own strengths and weaknesses. In the EVO, you will definately trade off any luxury (other than the Recaros) for a good bit more performance. It's just all about what your interests or wants happen to be.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

so some dealers will let people test drive the evos?

i really need to do that since i already drove the sti.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 01:25 PM

The salesman was a really nice guy, he offered the test drive before I even suggested it. I think it helped that I am a little older than the average EVO buyer (40) and am quite distinguished looking...lol... Actually, I think he realized that I was very knowledgeable, and serious about the car. It definately helps to know what you are talking about when you deal with car salesmen. It was the only one they had, and I told him that I came specifically to see the EVO. I am going to drive the STI as well, before I make my final decision, although I will be very surprised if I like it more than the EVO.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I'm guessing that if I let them know I'm ready to buy they'll let me test drive it. Since I already test drove the STi and actually have placed an order for one. It'll be their opportunity to "steal" the sale
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

I was all set to drop some money to pick up an STi in April. Then my brother and friend got their Evos. Then I drove my friends and thought according to the car's specs on paper the STi will be so much better, more powah, 6 speed, etc. my Friend got a little busy under the hood and started pushing just under 350whp for not a lot of bucks, and it still drives friendly as can be, just with a angry locomotive inside. Then I drove the STi. I thought uh where's the power, where's the precision. No sunroof? no radio? costs more? transmission woes in the past, hmmmm. crap I may have made a mistake. Well here I ma now, I have decided not to trade in the Slocus. I'm just saving up a downpayment for when the 2004s arrive, keeping the Slocus has the daily driver, the MR2 as the real toy, the tribute as the workhorse, and plan to use the Evo for family race nights.

Good to see you test driving all options before deciding. I also went and perused the G35 sedan and just recently the RX8, Both are less of driver's cars to me. I know which direction I'm headed.

Good luck with which ever you choose, they are all very good cars, and each very well tailored for specific goals.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, i drove the g35 too. it was the coupe though. it didnt really impress me power wise. then again i'm comparing these cars to a TT Supra.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I agree, the test drive sold me too. The Skyline Drive with DC Evo Club re-enforced that.

The threads about the ****ty paint's lack of clearcoat and stuff like that sorta make me second-think it, but I'm still 90% set on an Evo as my next car.

I also test drove a 350Z, S2000, and the RSX TypeS and really the S2000 is the only other one that I am still interested in but I'd rather have the Evo and a turbo. Always wanted a turbo car...