Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Head Gasket Failure !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My question is, do you think it would be a good idea then to remove the valve cover and re-torque the head bots to spec?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thats a good question, if we were to boost it up a lil should we whip out the torque wrench?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I've not cracked the head of a Mitsu 4 banger yet (all kinds of fun with the 6), but I would suspect the cams got to come out to re-torque the head bolts... If I'm going to go through that much trouble, I'm putting in a $100 set of ARP studs.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

PS

Just to verify Al, 2nd Gen head studs and rod bolt ARP part numbers will do the trick, correct?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Dam, what kind of Head gasket are you gonna use this time around?

-Erik
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolved Member

Running 21psi is safe, the 50 shot and race gas is another story. I believe those are your contributing factors.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Running 21psi is safe, the 50 shot and race gas is another story. I believe those are your contributing factors.

the 50 shot does not help, but the race fuel is used to control detonation ! ! the real problem is the ability for the stock head bolts to retain the required "clamping" force ! ! the stock head gasket is one of the best I have seen ! !
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

HEy Tommy,

Sorry to see your EVO like this. Good Luck with the engine rebuild.!!!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ferrarokid

the 50 shot does not help, but the race fuel is used to control detonation ! ! the real problem is the ability for the stock head bolts to retain the required "clamping" force ! ! the stock head gasket is one of the best I have seen ! !
I agree !!!!!!

BUt if you kee breaking all your parts at this rate soo you will have brand new evo again!!!! Maybe an adjustment of the loose nut behind the wheel is in order ?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

To date .. the only broken parts are : front diff - cylinder head ! !
the head looks like it has been slowly going over time ! ! the n.o.s has been only used 4 times ! ! the bottom end is perfect . but while im here the rods and piston HAVE to get done ! !
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

I was able to put new head bolts in my GSX without taking out the cams... They stretched but I was able to catch them and install new ones...

So, maybe we should all re-torque the head bolts now?! Maybe that'll save us in the long run.. Could be a factory glitch that they weren't torqued enough from the manufacturer??!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:29 AM
EvoM Guru

it's possible that from the factory some bolts were not properly torqued. Another possibility is that since running NOS without a separate fogger for every cylinder can and does cause an imbalance of nitrous to every intake runner. In other words #4 cylinder might have gotten an extra 10-20 % more nitrous than the rest. Detonation might have not occured, but excessive pressure might have blown that gasket away.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by superz
it's possible that from the factory some bolts were not properly torqued. Another possibility is that since running NOS without a separate fogger for every cylinder can and does cause an imbalance of nitrous to every intake runner. In other words #4 cylinder might have gotten an extra 10-20 % more nitrous than the rest. Detonation might have not occured, but excessive pressure might have blown that gasket away.
It may not have gotten less N2O, but rather less fuel. Keep in mind the #4 cyl failed and it's the furthest down the fuel rail. If there were even slight fuel delivery problems they would have been most apparent in cyl 4. This could easily have caused rapid degradation here while the other 3 remained fine.

What were you guys using to detect knock btw?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Zeus
PS

Just to verify Al, 2nd Gen head studs and rod bolt ARP part numbers will do the trick, correct?
Trade secret?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

The rod bolts are 2nd gen

The othere vo I took apart never had NOS and it also had the same problem

also - the guy in Chicago who blew up his motor didnt have nos as far as I know

Even if you re-trq the stock bolts - I am sure they will just streach again - they are just not up to applications over 300 whp

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Failure !