Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Head Gasket Failure !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:00 AM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who should be worried about this problem. What if we simply have an exhaust which increases boost pressure minimally? Kinda scary... Ill pay the 500 for precaution probably...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me - I rather do it and know its right than risk taking out my whole engine and had over some stupid thing I knew about
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Is it possible extreme heat (enough to melt the gasket) could occur without detonation due to the use of race fuel?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by HobieKopek
Is it possible extreme heat (enough to melt the gasket) could occur without detonation due to the use of race fuel?
Evo-Bill's gasket went on 93 octane. I don't think there's any getting around the issue through not using NOS or race-gas, etc.

I'm buying the bolts as soon as Pruven gets them in, who cares what the cost to get them on is? I can afford it over the cost of a new engine.... (although if the motor went, the wife would HAVE to let me get it rebuilt ).
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Its not that kind of issue - all the happens is that the end head bolt just starts to strech a little at a time till the corner of the gasket blows out and thats the end - - its a gradual process and is accelerated with higher boost - higher HP applications - race gas has nothing to do with it
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

head bolts

why not 1g bolts instead of 2g bolts?
everyone with 2g cars run 1g bolts
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I didn't mean it was the race gas' fault. I mean that may have been the reason you wouldn't have detonation with the higher temps. Wouldn't the excessive heat/pressure that race fuel can handle before detonating make it easier to run leaner (and therefore at higher combustion temps) without noticable knock?

That was my reason for questioning. I guess it wasn't clear. I ask out of sheer curiousity.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

I didn't mean it was the race gas' fault. I mean that may have been the reason you wouldn't have detonation with the higher temps. Wouldn't the excessive heat/pressure that race fuel can handle before detonating make it easier to run leaner (and therefore at higher combustion temps) without noticable knock?

That was my reason for questioning. I guess it wasn't clear. I ask out of sheer curiousity.
I think its a matter of how much HP you run - - having race gas causes you to be able to run a bit better timing and yoy get more HP - - if you added a boost controller or some other performance gaining mod then the effect would be the same

My theory is that when you go over about 300 whp - thats when they start to strech - - when you get to 400 whp they strech faster

The black pruven evo has 345 whp and they were on the way out
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

What if you did not lean out the AF ratio with a S-AFC or other AF controller, you think this still woulda happened with 20 psi to redline?

I am sure a lot of you lean your AF ratios from the factory 8.8:1 (or somthing like that) to like around the 11s.

Last edited by BadBoyBeltran; Aug 27, 2003 at 05:14 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Also, woulnt an upgraded fuel pump fix the #4 cylinder "lean" gas problem?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BadBoyBeltran
Also, woulnt an upgraded fuel pump fix the #4 cylinder "lean" gas problem?
There is no confirmed lean condition in the #4 cylinder - it was just speculation in an above post.

I think Al hit it - the bolts are just crap and they stretch overtime. The more HP you're generating, the faster the degradation process.