Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Head Gasket Failure !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket Failure !

For you guy's running high boost . . it's only a matter of time ! the gasket failed at the corner of cylinder number 4. the (2) head bolts at that corner required only about 20 ftlbs. to remove, where as the other remaining bolts required 60+ ! ! take this as a warning ! !
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Failure !-mvc-010s.jpg  
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

block pics ..

looks fine . .
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Failure !-mvc-009s.jpg  
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

head shot

Needs to be machined !
Attached Thumbnails Head Gasket Failure !-mvc-011s.jpg  
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

how much boost were you running?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes , how much you boosting ? Are you going to use HKS metal head gasket ? or some thing else ??

Trustz
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Ow... Damn, that sucks man... Aren't there a lot of people on here that are running higher boost with no problems... yet?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

21 lbs of boost 50 shot, vp c-16 race fuel .. ZERO traces of detonation ! ! the stock gasket is quiet a quality part ! ! it's just the bolts that suck ! !
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thats the same area mine was going to let go on!!!

Glad your block is OK !!!

The head is very cheap to buy at dealer cost - you should consider that depending on how much the machine job is

WHile you have it apart you should look into a set of rods - I have a few options for you and AMS (great guys) have a set of JE pistons that work with the stock bore and use stock rings - just slide them in and apply a new set of rod bearings and your done - they are 9/1

Of course - I prefer the Pruven race pistons - I think they have more potential

Either way your 100% better of than with the stock rods which are not up to your useage !!!!

BTW - while you have it out - check out your bearings - it seems the evo is not liking the syntehtic oil - the two engines I took apart both had very bad looking main bearings

I'm glad you are making nice progress and going quickly on this rebuild - - my engine should be broken in within 2 -3 days and then i'd like to race you again - maybe this time you can bring one of dem Enzo's - cause thats about the only way your going to stand a chance !
Old Aug 26, 2003, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Head is shot ! ! no need for the enzo ! ! in the next day or so we should get in touch .. I need to fiqure out the best options . . the bore is perfect, so i would like to stick with std bore ! !
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ferrarokid
Head is shot ! ! no need for the enzo ! ! in the next day or so we should get in touch .. I need to fiqure out the best options . . the bore is perfect, so i would like to stick with std bore ! !
A brand new one was like only 1050 dealer cost, which isnt that bad. You will see there is lots of room for porting in there - no idea yet how much power is going to be gained but now the car pulls strong and keeps getting more power all the way to 9000 rpm - it was the port and the JUN valve springs / ti retainers - don't know whick one helped better yet

The AMS guys are the ones who sorted out the stock bore pistons - you can call martin over there - he was the one who got me all the cams - - those pistons they use have stock rings - a very nice choice if you want to stay with the stock bore

For myself - i couldn't resisit the opportunity to over bore it and also get the o-ringed block

Also - I am running a bit more clearance than stock and a lot of ring gap to accomidate the nos application

For the rods you just have to decide which wieght you want - there are three choices - obviously the lighter ones spools faster - the heavier one is mega strong and will be the last rods you have to buy - (BUT the piston and rod combo will be heaveir than the stock - although with the deletion of the counter balance the rotational mass is still a lot less) - Crower takes like 10 weeks - forget that - Oliver is the medium one and that is what most of the guys in the UK use - they are a great company and will prob extend you a trade pricing - they are very reasonable in price and a great rod - the pruven ones are the real heavy weights which are suited to big boost and large nos shots - they are like 200 a rod - also there are TI ones at 370 a rod

All those rods use the stock bearings - you just have to get that EVO shop manual and read the codes off the crank - basically all those rods will bolt in

If you want to hang with me you will be needing that enzo man - I am going off the deep end with my evo and it will be a mid 10- second car by the end of September !
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

OH - and get cracking on the phone if you want to upgrade to the ARP main stud kit - I was on the phone with them today and it is seriously back ordered - it will be some time till they have more - - Summit may have a few sets in stock ???
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

If I didn;t make it clear - you have to change the pistons and the rods toegether becuase of the screwy press fit wrist pins the stock pistons use - they have got to go
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

OT,

Al i really need to talk to you about something, will you please log on to your AIM?

thanks
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by blonde
OT,

Al i really need to talk to you about something, will you please log on to your AIM?

thanks
I am on there now - - Alfriedesq@aol.com - or PM me your tel ###
Old Aug 26, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

you have PM,

thanks

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Failure !