Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

how far can you mod an evo and still have it be relyable?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how far can you mod an evo and still have it be relyable?

I've heard from old DSM guys that once you hit 11 sec your car is going to be constant trouble..

same holds true with the Evo?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

according to Al his car is an everyday driver...and his car is the most modded on the board

Just ask AL
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

I believe most people on this thread have hit 11 seconds, heck I think most of them are measuring thier ownership duration in months now, but I don't think anyone has hit 11 months yet...
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mister2zx3
I believe most people on this thread have hit 11 seconds, heck I think most of them are measuring thier ownership duration in months now, but I don't think anyone has hit 11 months yet...
So two or three people in the 11's is most people.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SuperchargedGTZ
according to Al his car is an everyday driver...and his car is the most modded on the board

Just ask AL
AL has rebuilt his engine quite a few times.. i think he even blew a head gasket,, dont remeber

im talking about, put the mods on, and drive it for 20,000 miles with normal maintenence (no rebuilds, engine swaps, re machining where you blew a head gasket.. ect ect..)

can you go past bolt on mods and still have it a SOLID daily driver? count on it as your ONLY car, not just one of your cars...

i think mster2zx3 was trying to be funny? that or he didntrealize that i was talking about 11 second 1/4 time, not owned time........
Old Aug 27, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz

AL has rebuilt his engine quite a few times.. i think he even blew a head gasket,, dont remeber

im talking about, put the mods on, and drive it for 20,000 miles with normal maintenence (no rebuilds, engine swaps, re machining where you blew a head gasket.. ect ect..)

can you go past bolt on mods and still have it a SOLID daily driver? count on it as your ONLY car, not just one of your cars...

i think mster2zx3 was trying to be funny? that or he didntrealize that i was talking about 11 second 1/4 time, not owned time........
No, Al has never lost a head gasket. Evo-Bill & Ferrarokid blew theirs; Al noticed wear near the #4 cylinder on his after he tore the engine apart to put in a new motor. Before that, he was putting down 518whp on a stock engine (except for Rod Bolts) and transmission.

According to all of their research, the stock head gasket is awesome, but the cheesy head bolts Mitsu used are crap and don't maintain load. The fix is $100 worth of ARP head studs, and of course the labor to get them on. Probably a good idea to get a new stock head gasket if you're going to go through the trouble.

The Evo has very little in common with DSM's; they share an engine designation 4G63, but the similarities stop there. The rotating assembly, transmission, and AWD system are beefier in the Evo. Clutch wear can happen pretty early if you don't remove the restrictor and possibly replace the clutch line with a nice steel braided unit.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't seen any clutch restrictor removal "how to's" or line replacements..

is that stuff somewhat easy todo? ( ie half day job, or 1 day max job?)
Old Aug 27, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by zTargeTz
I haven't seen any clutch restrictor removal "how to's" or line replacements..

is that stuff somewhat easy todo? ( ie half day job, or 1 day max job?)
Go check the tech area, there's a huge post on it. I received my steel braided line today; I'm going to do it when I put in the Exedy twin disc.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you can have a 340 whp evo on the stock turbo which will be better than stock in EVERY respect and will have no loss in driveability, relaiability or enjoyment

After that - you'll need a bigget turbo - and you'll start to have more lag and less drivability with more and more power

My WRX / STI conversion went 11.88 @124 mph and NEVER broke once - the engine still lives in another WRX and it has never been apart - all stock

So far - NOTHING has broken on my EVO - eccept the clutch after a lot of drag abuse - and I drive it every day

I only built trhe engine as a preventative measure as I knew the limits of the stock block and did not want to take a chance

I can build a 11 sec - 400 whp daily driver evo for anyone that will run with no issues and no problems - - its just a matter of buying nothing but the best high quality JDM parts; tuning it to perfection and taking care of all the loose ends on instalation so its done right the 1st time

The reason why most of those 11 sec DSM's are constantly breaking is becuase they are piloes of junk that are falling apart and have been built on a budget and not much care went into building them
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:30 PM

I'm running 12.4 in Colorado and haven't blown anything yet, don't want to bump my boost up till I get new piston's, rod's, and head's though.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

320 whp should be no problem. Just do everything slowly to trouble-shoot things as they happen. If you do all the mods at once, you won't know which one is causing the problem.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the only "mod" im going to do this winter is a good set of studded snow tires and gages.. maybe a boost controller.. dunno
Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:27 PM
Former Sponsor

340whp huh? i guess im just missing my cams and bigger front mount...
Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can build a 11 sec - 400 whp daily driver evo for anyone that will run with no issues and no problems - - its just a matter of buying nothing but the best high quality JDM parts; tuning it to perfection and taking care of all the loose ends on instalation so its done right the 1st time

Well if that is true then I'll sure hit you up when I pick up my EVO
Since I live in NYC and am within a decent distance from pruven in CT I'll sure be stopping by for tuning.

I'm also looking to build a high 11 sec daily driver.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

so al, how much will this 400whp you'd build me cost?