Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RMR intake/IC piping/exhaust - gain or loss of power when put on a stock Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know for sure that if you do the RMR turbo back (with stock cat) and the RMR intake your car will sound awesome!
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by JRock
I know for sure that if you do the RMR turbo back (with stock cat) and the RMR intake your car will sound awesome!
Well, I ordered the AMS exhaust (sounds nice) and will probably do the HKS dp.....don't want to go 3in.

But if I hold off on the boost business, I don't want to give up any power just to have better sound.
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 50cal

So if I just bolt on a cat back exhaust and downpipe (stock cat for now), no boost controller........I'm going to lose power or just won't realize as much gain without a controller?

Interesting.
You will prob stay around the same - but after you turn the boost up the stock or slightly shiger - then you will relaize the power gains
Old Aug 27, 2003, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

50cal: Exactly why I started this thread my fine turbo'd friend.

I want the intake and exhaust first since I won't have the money or really a need for engine management and ECU modding for a while after that. I just want to make sure that making the car sound even better and being able to hear the turbo spool and the stock BOV will be worth the money and not losing performance like a few people claim.

I rode in a car with the RMR intake, IC piping, and turbo-back exhaust that also had the ECU re-flash, and while that car pulled great, I've never ridden in a broken-in stock one so I don't know how much better it pulls and I also don't know if just the intake/exhaust mods gain/lose/do nothing without the ECU re-flash.

I have always heard that improved intake/exhaust flow will always help a forced-induction car, whereas an N/A car has the potential to lose low-end torque but gain some high-end hp.

Last edited by JRock; Aug 27, 2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Jeez man, did my car feel slow to you?? I guess I need to remind you again...
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JRock
Hmm, maybe someone with the resources (and time) should look into making and selling a heat shield that fits around the RMR intake, since it seems a fair number of people have it. Might be a good way to make a few bucks and help out fellow Evo owners at the same time!

As far as sucking air from under the car you need to be really careful because if you run through standing water you risk hydro-locking your engine. I generally just make a simple rule to stay away from anything like that to avoid the risk and time it takes to do it right.
[.....]
The only problem with the heatshield is that it would have to be radically redesigned if you were to upgrade the turbo plumbing, particularly the IC -> TB section.

As for the hydrolocking, yeah, it's a risk, especially if you relocate the filter. I was really only thinking of a piece of large diameter duct bringing cooler air to the engine compartment on the filter side of the heatshield. You'd need to be very unlucky or very stupid to get a hydrolocked engine with a setup like that. Still, I'm not sure there's enough space anyway in the Evo.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
The evo looses boost when you remove the stock muffler becuase of the flap inside the muffler which raises up the boost when you add a MBC or EBC you can raise the boost back up to stock levels and thats why you see big gains
Where is the flap exactly? I have throw on cat backs and no loss in boost so far. They have bin Vishnu cat backs but as you know a magnaflow muffler and a pipe that's it no flap or anything.

I will say this car really needs some load to see 19psi stock like the AC being on and at least one other person in the car.