Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ACD and AYC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ACD and AYC

Anyone know about AYC and ACD? i watched Best Motoring April 2003 vol. Are they avaliable on US EVO8?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow Not in the USA

Nope. In their place is smog equipment. Another reason they did not bring it over to the US is to keep the cost down.

Old Aug 27, 2003, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

yeah we don't get all the goodies
Old Aug 27, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

DO a search on JDM or UK spec evos and you will find info. Ive got them on my 8. The advantages of AYC can be seen and felt most at the track.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:18 AM
In Timeout

Just wait for some aftermarket differentials come out... you don't want the oem stuff if you plan on racing. If the AYC differential breaks, have fun!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Just wait for some aftermarket differentials come out... you don't want the oem stuff if you plan on racing. If the AYC differential breaks, have fun!

Thats right, the ayc pump and pressure switch ain't cheap, not to mention the diff itself! Just to shed some light on this issue. In Jamaica we have quite a few AYC cars that enter drag racing in the 12 and 13 class. None in the 11s class yet....
Interestingly enough, we have had only 1 AYC failure which was traced to a defective ayc ecu. This is a different situation to that of the blokes in the UK.... they have quite a few failures. Granted, they have more evos than we do. It may have something to do with the temperature difference or the fact that our mechanics only use synthetic oils in the hydraulic / AYC clutch system vs. the mineral oils that mitsu recommends.

Americans are blessed with a great Evo 8 .... GSR interior with the Pre - E7 RS driveline... IDEAL for racing. In fact i was told that a local drag racer is importing the US model precisely for this reason!

Last edited by jemm; Aug 28, 2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

p.s. Look out for my AYC / ACD article.. will post it as soon as i get the photography done!
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Not in the USA

Originally posted by ESCALVANTE
Nope. In their place is smog equipment. Another reason they did not bring it over to the US is to keep the cost down.

I disagree, It was more of a reliablity issue.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Not in the USA

Originally posted by tryandcatchme

I disagree, It was more of a reliablity issue.

That is only partly true. Remember that the EVo 4-6 AYC pump unit is no longer made. The Evo 7 & 8 use a different pump which also supplies pressure for the ACD accumulator. For to introduce AYC to the states they would have had to include ACD too... the cost of the car would have gone up. (the ayc/acd pump is ~ 1130£!!)

But I do agree with you that the Active driveline is high maintenance and not as proven/reliable as the driveline you guys have in the states (well with exception of the clutch and 5th gear problems// whats going on with that anyway??)

Last edited by jemm; Aug 28, 2003 at 04:43 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Re: Not in the USA

Originally posted by jemm

That is only partly true. Remember that the EVo 4-6 AYC pump unit is no longer made. The Evo 7 & 8 use a different pump which also supplies pressure for the ACD accumulator. For to introduce AYC to the states they would have had to include ACD too... the cost of the car would have gone up. (the ayc/acd pump is ~ 1130£!!)

But I do agree with you that the Active driveline is high maintenance and not as proven/reliable as the driveline you guys have in the states (well with exception of the clutch and 5th gear problems// whats going on with that anyway??)
Yeah, and the Brembo calipers are about $4000 for the set, if purchased seperately, yet they still managed to keep the car under $29,000....

The 1130£ cost for a new AYC/ACD pump is if you buy the unit seperately. Any genuine Mits replacement pars that you need for the evolution especially for an electronic differential is going to be expensive. Even if they figured out a way to get AYC/ACD to hold up forever, and they ended up putting it into the next version, I dont think it would put the car up that much in cost.

I really dont care for AYC anyways, id rather control the movement of the car myself.