Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Never buying another Mitsubishi product EVER again

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 9evolution
Maywood Mitsubishi Sucks ***!!
+1 million... I don't know about their sales staff but their service department is a joke.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trail Slide
..if this doesn't get covered under warranty

Where do I start? I bought a 2006 Evo RS with 11k miles on it in stock form about 6 months ago or so. After driving apprx. 2k miles I started to notice a slight syncro crunch shifting into second at redline. I was in denial for a little while because it only did this every so often from 1->2 shifts at redline. Anyway, it eventually started to get worse so I took it into the dealership. After a few trips there I got the tech who was real cool to go drive the car with me. At first it wasn't grinding, but as soon as the car warmed up a bit sure enough 1->2 was crunchin away. He repeatedly said "yeah this definatly isn't right" "ya this definatly shouldn't be doing this". After the test drive he told me he would order the parts, and probably sometime next week have the car dropped off and he could bang out the syncro change in 1-2 days. I was excited and went home with a smile on my face.

1 day later ... I get a call from one of the guys who works at the service desks telling me that he spoke to the "reps" and this is what they said. He basically told me its a 50/50 chance that they are going to take apart my tranny and find a "defective part" that could be replaced under warranty, but if they "did not find anything or saw abuse" it would have to be covered out of pocket. I asked him how this could possibly be because the car is 100% OEM and has never been modified, or raced. He replied "well basically its a racecar so thats the way it is" I told him i'd give a call back but this time i'd like to speak to the tech who went for a ride with me in the car being that i felt like the service desk guy has no idea what was going on.

The same night .. I called up my uncle whos been a head ford tech for over 20 years. I told him the situation with my tranny with the 1->2 shift and how it is grinding and what the dealership told me. I also asked him if it was a "wear item" or if they can try to make me pay money out of pocket for them to drop the trans. He basically told me that what they are telling me is complete BS and not to sign or pay anything. He said that a syncro IS NOT a wear item and if the 2nd gear is going the tranny should be dropped and the syncro should be replaced under warranty period. He said that me signing anythng that said if the tranny is dropped then the $600 just to drop the tranny is on me out of pocket because of any reason is BS. He said that ya, if they drop the tranny and the clutch is causing the issue or something of that nature then yes it is on you but clearly this is not the situation here. I hung up with a smile on my face and was looking foward to speaking to the tech the next day.

Today .. I give the dealership a call and ask to speak to the tech. I get the same service guy on the phone who immediately asks me "so whats the deal" as if i was calling up to tell him to drop the trans. I ask to speak to the tech and he asks why. I tell him because I spoke to my uncle and a few other mechanics who are friends and I have some questions for him. He starts telling me that "its the way it is" and that the "car is a race car" and "generally they dont warranty anything on race cars" ... at this point im starting to lose my patience with this guy and ask again to speak to the tech. He tells me to hold on and i hear mumbling in the backround. I hear people saying "this is the way it is going to be" and "I dont want to get involved" ... 2 minutes later he comes back on the phone and tells me that the tech isn't available at the moment but if I had anymore questoins I can ask him. So i asked him how its possble for them to tell me that i am going to have to pay out of pocket to drop my trans when the issue is clearly a warranty item and the car still has a full warranty in tach. He once again explains to me that "the car is a race car" and that he just has to go by what the "reps" say. I tell him that at this point I feel like I am being f*cked around and im getting annoyed and will be contacting the corporate office. He gladly tells me I may due so and asks me if I have anymore questions and I tell him no and to have a nice day and I hang up.

I'm calling the corp office in 5 minutes and will update this thread by later on tonight.

I don't give a crap if its a racecar or not, its not modded, its not been abused (hopefully), they need to warranty thier freaking work. Take it to another Mitsu dealership. Someone print him out that Warrant Statement thing. The Magson or something Act?

- John
Old Sep 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

damn.. i feel for ya
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by rush63
I'm just curious as to why took your car to Ramsey when Maywood Mitsu is closer to you.
Ramsey is closer for me not Maywood. A lot closer.
I did go to Maywood because of Mike. And they didn't have a dealership closer then that.
But when the dealership opened up replacing the Subaru one, i had to do visit.
And those guy where awesome.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wait... So you bought a car with 11k miles, discover a grind WHILE SHIFTING AT REDLINE (assuming driving the car fairly hard)

KEPT driving it until it got bad.. And you didn't expect to have a problem after DEMONSTRATING it to the tech?

I feel for you, especially if what you say is completely the truth. The only problem is I've been working with these cars long enough to know

1) Most warranty claims are due to abuse, therefore their skeptical
2) Many of the cars are/were modified by prior owners, and/or traded in due to a known problem
3) one or two good missed shifts at high RPM will damage a synchro enough to cause the symptom your talking about, the more it happens the worse it gets
4) item 3 is considered abuse, and non-wearing parts are only warrantied for defect.

Back when I had about 15k on my car, I had a 5th gear grind. I was certain it had nothing to do with my driving style. Discovered there was a TSB related to my problem and it was repaired under warranty. This was before this issue was even well known, I'm actually fairly certain I was the first to even mention that it existed.

To make a long story short.. My car has always been highly modified, even back then. However It was never abused (I still have the original stock clutch........ says alot) The dealer I worked with was pleasant and accomodating, and never gave me any trouble with warranty work, admittedly I've brought it in very few times for any sort of warranty repair or service.

I am personally very skeptical about drivers of Evos, no offense, but there's a reason your having a problem, there's a reason their giving you a problem, and there's a reason these cars end up in the secondary market with such low mileage.

1) Their abused and the previous owner had warranty issues
2) They can't afford the repair or maintenance, or can't man up and pay the check their right foot wrote.

Unfortunately it sounds like your somewhere in the middle, since this is still a production vehicle, and most normal people are expected to drive their cars every day and rarely abuse the car, not everyone feels that way, and expects these cars to hold up to serious amounts of abuse. Honestly they do, but if I break something, I have always paid the repair bills if it was of my own doing.

Find a reputable dealer, be honest about the history of the car, and the issue you noticed.. And for petes sake, don't DEMONSTRATE it, let them diagnose it.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Maywood Mitsubishi service department is in need of a beatdown(not the techs but the sleazy guys running the desk and thier managers). They should be ashamed of themselves, I wish those crooks cancer. I have had good experiances at AllStar mitsubishi in the Amboys.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by MalibuJack
Wait... So you bought a car with 11k miles, discover a grind WHILE SHIFTING AT REDLINE (assuming driving the car fairly hard)

KEPT driving it until it got bad.. And you didn't expect to have a problem after DEMONSTRATING it to the tech?

I feel for you, especially if what you say is completely the truth. The only problem is I've been working with these cars long enough to know

2) Many of the cars are/were modified by prior owners, and/or traded in due to a known problem
3) one or two good missed shifts at high RPM will damage a synchro enough to cause the symptom your talking about, the more it happens the worse it gets
4) item 3 is considered abuse, and non-wearing parts are only warrantied for defect.

Back when I had about 15k on my car, I had a 5th gear grind. I was certain it had nothing to do with my driving style. Discovered there was a TSB related to my problem and it was repaired under warranty. This was before this issue was even well known, I'm actually fairly certain I was the first to even mention that it existed.

To make a long story short.. My car has always been highly modified, even back then. However It was never abused (I still have the original stock clutch........ says alot) The dealer I worked with was pleasant and accomodating, and never gave me any trouble with warranty work, admittedly I've brought it in very few times for any sort of warranty repair or service.

I am personally very skeptical about drivers of Evos, no offense, but there's a reason your having a problem, there's a reason their giving you a problem, and there's a reason these cars end up in the secondary market with such low mileage.

2) They can't afford the repair or maintenance, or can't man up and pay the check their right foot wrote.

Unfortunately it sounds like your somewhere in the middle, since this is still a production vehicle, and most normal people are expected to drive their cars every day and rarely abuse the car, not everyone feels that way, and expects these cars to hold up to serious amounts of abuse. Honestly they do, but if I break something, I have always paid the repair bills if it was of my own doing.

Find a reputable dealer, be honest about the history of the car, and the issue you noticed.. And for petes sake, don't DEMONSTRATE it, let them diagnose it.
good post.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

well, I didn't demonstrate it ... I let the tech drive the car and he personally felt it ... twice in a row!

Anyway, when i bought the car i inspected it for abuse inside and out, found nothing. It still had the OEM tires on it, and i checked all the guys previous to threads to see if he had any "track times" or any "problems" threads which i found none. I guess anything can be abused, but the guy was moddest and didn't seem like a racer himself. He was selling the car to buy a house and was married etc.

I am going to take the car to another dealership.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Understandable.. Unfortunately with a problem like your describing, it was either caused by him, or you, or a genuine defect. The big problem is if its not a genuine defect, your stuck with a bill for a repair. Warranties for performance cars are just full of caveats. Best of luck.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

This is what I was trying to get across to everyone, but my wording was bad

Sucks to hear that the lady that talked to the dude's mom was a bia. I thought they seemed like they were going to take care of him for a second there.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eehjay

Think of the warranty thing this way, hot clean chick (your car) that hangs out with a bunch of STD infected friends (abused Evos). You would assume shes got the drip, so that's what the dealership is doing to you. They just don't want to deal with it.
Lol friggin awesome! I think thats going in my sig!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Umibozu
how many dealers are in SD? i only know poway , are there any more?
there's 2 more: National City and El Cajon
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eehjay
I feel for you dude, but you stated yourself that you were hearing it at REDLINE. But then you say it hasn't been raced or tracked. Redlining it is just as bad as track abuse. I dunno, just felt I had to nit pick at that. Good luck though, I agree they should cover it since it hasn't passed warranty time, but with any car that is "performance oriented" they pull this.

Shelby only covers the GT for 12 months/12,000 miles because they know owners wanna beat the **** out of it.

i'm sorry, but you're an idiot. there's nothing wrong with redlining the engine. you just shouldn't go bouncing off of your limiter. redline is the highest level the engine speeds can reach safely. i've redlined every car i've ever owned, in every gear, just about everytime i get behind the wheel. that's just the way i drive. there's no reason to have a warranty voided for that. you don't have to race to hit redline. mitsubishi just sucks *** when it comes to service. there's no reason for them to be that way.

i NEVER had that problem with honda. they fixed EVERYTHING. my 2000 honda accord was modded, I/H/E, suspension, wheels, tires, a few other things. it was set up for STS autocross, and i raced it every chance i got. everybody at the dealership knew that. some of them raced too. when my transmission went out, they replaced it under warranty, no questions. when the new tranny they put in made a herky jerk once they pulled it out and put a new one in under warranty just to be safe. i got TWO trannies out of them with zero problems. the second tranny was actually put in 6k miles AFTER the warranty was up, but i reported the problem 1k miles before the warranty. at mitsu, even if you report the problem BEFORE the warranty is up and they can't get to it, so it's their fault it doesn't get worked on in time, YOU still have to come up with the money to fix it. total bull****.

hell, one time on my way to work i was rushing and accidentally hit a dip at 50-60mph and destroyed my cat. the dealership replaced it under warranty...even though my warranty had been up for almost 10k miles. i didn't question it. i just let'em do it.

mitsubishi is just a terrible company, period. i thought our local dealership were the only ones that were dicks, but i guess it's just a mitsu thing. i've already told the story of how my brother's 05 Lancer ralliart threw a rod at about 35mph in 3rd gear cruising at under 3k rpm...he had maybe 30k miles on the car at the time. mitsu gave us 15 kinds of hell trying to get that motor fixed. we got all kinds of attitudes, got fussed at by the service manager and all kinds of **** as if we had done something wrong by bringing the car to them after it self destructed. then the guy acted like he was doing us a favor by taking time out of his busy schedule to be bothered with us and our car. it was a horrible horrible experience.

i'm just glad i've never had any problems with my EVO IX MR. i'm at 104k miles now so i'm out of warranty anyway haha.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

Evo has the worst warranty ever. That why might as well mod your car. They don't warranty clutch or anything. Never ever let a dumb dealership install anything in your car. They charge you and arm and leg and a shi**y job on your car. Take it to a shop.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

i hate to say this but i think most mitsubishi cars are heaps of **** when it comes to quality anyways. they seem to break often for little things. i have had other cars where u can beat the **** out of them and nothing breaks. good ol mitsu quality for u.

2nd most dealers are a bunch of f#king a$$holes

my evo was terrible when i bought it i have spent 2k in repairs so far for just bull**** stuff now it sits with a broken trans or whatever, but she looks hot sitting on my driveway

the price to pay for beast of a car

gl to u

Quick Reply: Never buying another Mitsubishi product EVER again