Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Never buying another Mitsubishi product EVER again

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never buying another Mitsubishi product EVER again

..if this doesn't get covered under warranty

Where do I start? I bought a 2006 Evo RS with 11k miles on it in stock form about 6 months ago or so. After driving apprx. 2k miles I started to notice a slight syncro crunch shifting into second at redline. I was in denial for a little while because it only did this every so often from 1->2 shifts at redline. Anyway, it eventually started to get worse so I took it into the dealership. After a few trips there I got the tech who was real cool to go drive the car with me. At first it wasn't grinding, but as soon as the car warmed up a bit sure enough 1->2 was crunchin away. He repeatedly said "yeah this definatly isn't right" "ya this definatly shouldn't be doing this". After the test drive he told me he would order the parts, and probably sometime next week have the car dropped off and he could bang out the syncro change in 1-2 days. I was excited and went home with a smile on my face.

1 day later ... I get a call from one of the guys who works at the service desks telling me that he spoke to the "reps" and this is what they said. He basically told me its a 50/50 chance that they are going to take apart my tranny and find a "defective part" that could be replaced under warranty, but if they "did not find anything or saw abuse" it would have to be covered out of pocket. I asked him how this could possibly be because the car is 100% OEM and has never been modified, or raced. He replied "well basically its a racecar so thats the way it is" I told him i'd give a call back but this time i'd like to speak to the tech who went for a ride with me in the car being that i felt like the service desk guy has no idea what was going on.

The same night .. I called up my uncle whos been a head ford tech for over 20 years. I told him the situation with my tranny with the 1->2 shift and how it is grinding and what the dealership told me. I also asked him if it was a "wear item" or if they can try to make me pay money out of pocket for them to drop the trans. He basically told me that what they are telling me is complete BS and not to sign or pay anything. He said that a syncro IS NOT a wear item and if the 2nd gear is going the tranny should be dropped and the syncro should be replaced under warranty period. He said that me signing anythng that said if the tranny is dropped then the $600 just to drop the tranny is on me out of pocket because of any reason is BS. He said that ya, if they drop the tranny and the clutch is causing the issue or something of that nature then yes it is on you but clearly this is not the situation here. I hung up with a smile on my face and was looking foward to speaking to the tech the next day.

Today .. I give the dealership a call and ask to speak to the tech. I get the same service guy on the phone who immediately asks me "so whats the deal" as if i was calling up to tell him to drop the trans. I ask to speak to the tech and he asks why. I tell him because I spoke to my uncle and a few other mechanics who are friends and I have some questions for him. He starts telling me that "its the way it is" and that the "car is a race car" and "generally they dont warranty anything on race cars" ... at this point im starting to lose my patience with this guy and ask again to speak to the tech. He tells me to hold on and i hear mumbling in the backround. I hear people saying "this is the way it is going to be" and "I dont want to get involved" ... 2 minutes later he comes back on the phone and tells me that the tech isn't available at the moment but if I had anymore questoins I can ask him. So i asked him how its possble for them to tell me that i am going to have to pay out of pocket to drop my trans when the issue is clearly a warranty item and the car still has a full warranty in tach. He once again explains to me that "the car is a race car" and that he just has to go by what the "reps" say. I tell him that at this point I feel like I am being f*cked around and im getting annoyed and will be contacting the corporate office. He gladly tells me I may due so and asks me if I have anymore questions and I tell him no and to have a nice day and I hang up.

I'm calling the corp office in 5 minutes and will update this thread by later on tonight.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Im sorry to hear about your problem. I'm not surprised with Mitsu's actions though. Be prepared for more headaches as this situation trys to get resolved. I for one wouldn't be able to deal with Mitsu in these situations, my blood pressure would skyrocket and/or I would end up in jail. Good luck though, keep us updated.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

damn... sucks dude!!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Def call the Resolution Office number posted in your owners manual and it should also be posted all over the service department in clear sight for customers.

No reason what so ever for it not be covered if the car is stock with as low mileage as you said it does. It sounds like the service department does not want that claim to count against their warranty numbers for the month.

I would be nicely pissed off to everyone. Only until you actually speak to the Mitsubishi Regional manager (he is over the District manager, which the District manager is the one the service manager would have spoken too) would I start the threaten lawsuit.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call MMNA and tell them what is going on and if you can try to record your calls and conversations. Write these peoples names down.

MMNA will usually take care of you when a dealership is trying to be shady. Calling them will be above these "reps" who are just there to penny pinch on everyone.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:11 PM

That sucks dude. I think you should be covered and they're just BSing you. Good luck!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

That sucks man... If i could ask... What dealership in jersey?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

that does suck
i brought my lancer in to get my cat. converter fixed under warrenty and since i got all that work done for free the mechanic then told me that my gasket was leaking onto my spark plugs and it would be $600 to fix because its not under warrenty.. i tell him i took my car to my mechanic a week or 2 before that and the guy tells me my mechanic wouldnt have seen that. i tell him okay ill come back
i go back to my personal mechanic and tell him what the mitsubishi mechanic told me and he said the guy is bsing me because he just checked my car and it was fine.. thats mitsubishi for you
was this at maywood? because thats where my incident happened
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

It's more the dealership then anything else good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

they are just testing you to see if you pay or not... just be up-front with them and make sure to threaten them with lawsuits/regional manager calls
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:28 PM

Dealerships are the cause for our Tuning woes!! you touch one thing they cry murder and void warranties
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

^^ my car is 100% OEM off the show room floor. It has a radio, debadged, and has evo 7 tail lights. Motor/drivetrain are OEM down to the PAPER FILTER.

UPDATE:

Well just had a 20 minute recorded phone convo with a nice woman at mitsubishi. She was typing down most if not all of what I was saying to her over the phone. She opened up a "case file" and said someone will be calling me tomorrow evening. I called 1-888-MITSU2008. I have everyones name. Guess we'll wait and see what happens. I have no problem mentioning a lawsuit.

btw, what is "MMNA"

Last edited by Trail Slide; Sep 11, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Y are all Mit service people *******s!

Everytime i go in there i get ****in attitude! its ridiculous!

Funny cause we drive one of Mitsu's most expensive cars i dont get it..
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
That sucks dude.

What dealership?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I feel for you dude, but you stated yourself that you were hearing it at REDLINE. But then you say it hasn't been raced or tracked. Redlining it is just as bad as track abuse. I dunno, just felt I had to nit pick at that. Good luck though, I agree they should cover it since it hasn't passed warranty time, but with any car that is "performance oriented" they pull this.

Shelby only covers the GT for 12 months/12,000 miles because they know owners wanna beat the **** out of it.

Quick Reply: Never buying another Mitsubishi product EVER again