Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII vs GTR (my comparison)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for getting it in black. Now post more pictures!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want pic? Just go search online Anyway, nice ride. I'll wait until it's USED then I'll buy it.... why pay sticker
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sick gtr
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

OMFG that GTR is soooo sexy!!!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolNinja
why pay sticker
To have the latest and greatest?

Scorke
Old Sep 17, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

I added the other pic I took to the original post. Will take more soon. Thx
Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'm getting my GTR by November then an Evo X by December or January of 2009. Though the Evo X is still not sure, I am told that I will love the GT-R's handling more than the Evo. My present Evo 5's handling is not that good, way peanuts compared to the Evo 7 I had before.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by s4awd
I added the other pic I took to the original post. Will take more soon. Thx
I love the GTR, it's a beast! Congrats on owning one of the best cars ever built.

It's good to see that some of the original folks are still posting on this forum.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:29 AM

Nice car man. The GTR is soo sexy.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

nice car man, but i'm glad I still have the Evo...aside from the gearbox doesnt seem like it's worth the extra 60-80 grand....only furthers my love for the Evo
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by s4awd
Not sure if any of you guys remember me but I was a heavy poster back in '03 when the Evo just arrived in the US. I purchased a 2003 WW VIII. I sold it a few years back and recently picked up a GTR. Not sure if any of you guys are cross shopping the two cars but here's my comparo between the two.

The Evo was small on the outside but big inside. The GTR is the total opposite. Huge outside but cramped inside. Aside from that, they both feel the same in terms of steering and brakes. Gearbox is a different story. The GTR's gearbox is the best part of the car. Never thought I would say this but if I were to get another Evo, I'd get the MR with the dual clutch gearbox. Anyways, if you love the Evo's handling, you're gonna love the GTR's because they're almost identical in feel. The Evo's handling is still better just because you can feel where the front tire is and what it is doing.

I used to arrange "Evo twisty road drives" up in CT and a bunch of members would meet up and drive on some sick roads. Unfortunately that's where the GTR isn't fun. Tight twisty backroads. It's just too big. It's not a rally car. You always have to break the speed limit to have fun. Most of the time, you're always letting off which sucks.
So what you are saying is it's like a ZX10-R is to a ZX14 as a GSXR 1000 is to a Hayabusa?

Sounds like best is to have one of each
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Nice. *bow down* LOL.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
So what you are saying is it's like a ZX10-R is to a ZX14 as a GSXR 1000 is to a Hayabusa?

Sounds like best is to have one of each
Actually more like a ZX-6 to an ZX-10. You can pin the throttle on the ZX-6 coming out of corners and on the straights so you can focus on turning and braking. On the 10, you have to add the third element of throttle control because you're in constant fear of highsiding. Constant throttle control is a by product of big power but isn't fun. Don't get me wrong, the GTR is great and the reviews are spot on. Problem is, they're usually testing this car on big race tracks.

When I had my evo, every side road was a rally course, winding onramps, dirt roads, snow, rain, it was just good fun. Given the price of the GTR, it's size, having to go way fast to have fun (it's so composed), and of course the fear of speeding tickets or worse, crashing, I'm just not having as much fun driving it around. If you're into stoplight drags, car meets, 2n'd and 3rd gear pulls with other cars, this is THE must have car. Otherwise it's just overkill for the street.

I just need to break it in and do trackdays already
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Sigh I miss those fun runs but congrats on the GTR!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im on the fence on the GTR, i kinda like it, but i kinda dont.

i think its WAYYY overpriced. around here they are listed 100k and up at dealerships. it might not be marked up everywhere tho. i dont know. but for that money id just get a z06 or something. faster anyway

its no longer a drivers car. its all electronic crap that makes anyone look like a good driver. takes harldy any skill at all to be able to drive a car like this.... its not just the GTR either, its all these new cars coming out.

but on the other note, i do like the styling and i like the interior even tho ive never seen it in person up close. its a real cool car and all the electronics on it are just amazing.

congrats on the car man, i like the black

Quick Reply: Evo VIII vs GTR (my comparison)