Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII vs GTR (my comparison)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 596736
That WW X has an evo VIII/IX wing on it.
Stock Evo X wing
Old Sep 28, 2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks for the review and pictures. The GTR sure looks nice and makes me want to get someday.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

The Evo and GTR really looks good together. Futuristic high performance sushis

Last edited by Zeus; Sep 29, 2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: burning up bandwidth on pics already posted
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:10 AM
Evolving Member

man i wish i could afford a GTR or in an evo!!
Old Sep 30, 2008, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

More...

Old Sep 30, 2008, 08:37 AM

Very nice...but based on your comparison...seems like the GTR is a waste of money. How does the GTR feel to the driver? Seems like with something that large/heavy, it'd be hard to feel connected to the vehicle.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nichigo
Very nice...but based on your comparison...seems like the GTR is a waste of money. How does the GTR feel to the driver? Seems like with something that large/heavy, it'd be hard to feel connected to the vehicle.
+1. I'm losing interest in the GTR. A Z06 seems like it would be a much better buy. Less money and equal performance.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsevo
+1. I'm losing interest in the GTR. A Z06 seems like it would be a much better buy. Less money and equal performance.
I can't ever get my head around people thinking a 2wd car can be "equal" to an awd car. Then again, when the weather turns bad, I just get started! Sure, in a straight line a Z06 would be great... or on perfect pavement. Then again, in the right hands, and them in the wrong, a Miata can slaughter them all.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

two of my favorite cars wonder what the potential of the gtr is
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I agree with Zeus... I'll take an AWD good handling car over a faster one any day. If you can't control all that power then what is the point?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:01 AM

The comparison is interesting, any thoughts about the purchase of the GTR, would you do it again?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
I agree with Zeus... I'll take an AWD good handling car over a faster one any day. If you can't control all that power then what is the point?
To me, the point would be learning to control all that power, then you get the reward of being fast without being completely reliant on automotive wizardry. Of course, there are many degrees of reliance, but the GT-R could be placed on one end of that scale. To each his own.

To the OP: crazy sweet GT-R!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

A z06 can handle too!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

That black gtr is sick.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to chime in a bit. I don't own either, but have spent considerable time behind the wheel of both (the GTR moreso than the Evo), and can offer a few points of my own. Last time I drove the GTR was actually two nights ago.
First off:
The Evo's legendary steering feel and response remains untouchable.
The GTR is terrifyingly, ***** fast in a very calm way.

I have had the privelidge to experience cars like the Ferrari F40, both generations of E55 AMG, the E60 M5, tuned STIs, etc. and can say that none are as easy to drive extremely fast as the GTR. Whether the computers really are 'that good' or the AWD and dual-clutch gearbox really make all the difference, or some combination of the two is irrelevant.

Which one would I want to own? GTR.
Do I love the Evo? Absolutely.

The GTR is still a Nissan. But the dash layout, computer systems, engine, brakes, seats, handling, transmission, etc. are worthy of a car costing twice as much (or more).
The Evo is still a Mitsu. It obviously had to cut costs way more (and let's be fair, the car costs less than half the price of a GTR- if you can secure one at MSRP), but it is one hell of a machine. I love the rawness, the "I'll try harder than you" attitude, and the overall experience of the Evo.

The best way to sum it up:
Evo: Tons of fun, and probably could give GTR drivers fits in the very tight and twisty stuff.
GTR: No turbo lag to speak of, keeps on pulling long after the Evo has topped out (I can confirm this one! :O), much nicer. Basically what an Evo would be if it cost twice as much. The extremely rear-biased AWD system shows it, I was getting jiggy with it side to side launching hard the other night, and even banging off 1-2 shifts with those paddles gives quite a bit of tire chirp. Can't wait to see what the tuners can do with this monster. Steering feel isn't quite Evo territory, but the weighting is spot-on and the brakes are UNREAL. Can't tell how I know, think I'd be breaking more than a few forum rules... The hardest thing to describe is the way the GTR is so easy. I took a friend out in it and we were sitting at a stoplight in complete silence. He looked over and said "Dude, we're in a super car right now". There is just no drama. Even 10% of power to the front wheels adds a tremendous amount of compusure at any speed, the paddle shifts mean you never mess up, and the car has just the right amount of electronic nannies to allow you to drive like you stole it one second but feel comfortable running to the grocery store with your mother in law in the passenger seat. Cool car.

Bottom line- two VERY awesome cars. Congrats on the new ride, the one I know is black too.

Last edited by johntesi; Oct 2, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo VIII vs GTR (my comparison)