Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

s2k or evo8???!!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s2k or evo8???!!!

wuts up guys, ok listen....in about 5 months i will be able 2 get a new car...the evo and s2k are just about in the same price range, and both r monsters..now i know lots of u on this board have previously owned s2ks's and what r ur impressions now on the evo after the s2k? i know u can fit more in the evo but being in college its not a big deal 2 me...my good friend has a honda and i know that they can take a beating and still be very reliable cars...of course this is an evo board so the majority of u will say get an evo, but there are problems that i see with the owners of evos that push their cars all the time..i know that hondas/acuras have high rev limits so they are meant for goin...and the s2k is the top of the line honda...plus its ****in sexy...i mean, i love both cars but let me guys know what u think...thanks
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

2 door RWD coupe convertable 2 seater that is naturally aspirated and a 4 door AWD turbo charged car? i fail to see any similarity...they are two different tastes....both great cars...two different tastes...no doubt the s2k is the "sexier of the two cars...it all depends on your taste...you want sexy go s2k...you want rally inspired and race proven go for the EVO.....
Old Aug 28, 2003, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had an S2000 for 1.5 years then traded it, now I have an evo 8. The S2000 was a fun car, but I needed room for my 3 kids. Performance wise, the evo feels faster, but the S2000 was more fun in the twisty. Love how a rear wheel drive car would react when taking a corner aggressively. Got the s2000 to 147 mph on hwy 5 before. The scream of 9000 RPM in 5th as you shift to 6th gear has no comparison. But I am very much happy with my evo. As a mater of fact, with too many s2000 here in California, I don't even miss my s2000 at all. Everywhere you look there is an S2000. Quality wise, the S2000 blows the evo hands down. S2000 is a beautiful car. If I can go back in time and be in your position, I would get the evo, I have always wanted an evo ever since the evo4 came out in the early 90's (I'm 33). Before the s2000 came out, the older evo's were the affordable super cars. Now that they are available in the US and I have the means to get one, I went out and got one.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

I had a 2000 S2000, before the clock in the radio and the glass rear window and a couple other upgrades that woulda been nice (and free). I paid $2000 over invoice for it. Here are my impressions from a Chicago, IL, suburban driver. (Oswego, IL)
First, with winter/normal tires you can drive the EVO all year, the s2k was HORRIBLE on any slick surfaces, even rain on most roads were slick.
Second, if you drive in traffic alot the s2k becomes tiresome real fast, you need to shift alot. While this is fun at first it does get old. The EVO's power curve is more forgiving of not being in the ideal gear.
Third, EVO has more room (as you said), more seats (for your hopfully bisexual girlfriends best friend), more interior room for CD's, cups and anything else you may find a need for. The s2k has crap for storage inside, although I found the trunk to be plenty big in the s2k for most stuff I did with the car.
Fourth, EVO has much better visability again going back to the traffic issue.
Fifth, most ppl think the Honda is just a stupid Miata. We all know what it is, but the general public has no idea what it is, which can be a good thing too sometimes. But that same thing happens in the EVO, looks to the uninformed like a somewhat everyday 4-door econo car, til you blow them away at street lights.
Sixth, EVO has more room for a better sound system.
Seventh, I have driven my EVO for 3300 miles so far but I am already convinced the Honda is of better quality. That car (s2k) was built VERY well, the EVO has some rinkyness to it. And don't even begin to do a search on the EVO's so called clutch. I have smelled clutch just starting on hills, and I have been driving manual tranny's for over 25 years, it's not my fault! I did order the stainless clutch line which will be in the car within a couple weeks, hope that helps some.
Eighth, this will vary of course but over the years Honda dealerships and support have been superior to Mitsu's IMO.
Nineth, they both have gimmick buttons, the s2k had that stupid starter button, cool the first two times ya start the car. The EVO with the intercooler spray, make it auto all the time with a bigger tank or make it manual only, I hate having to switch that thing on when it's show time.

I also believe, but at this point can't prove, the Honda will have better resale value.

Sorry my post was so long buy you asked. I traded my s2k for my wifes 2002 BMW 330ci (which I love, the wife and the car) but after owning the EVO for a bit now I am glad I bought the EVO instead of another s2k.

Thanks, Jerry.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I was in your position a few months ago (still college student here). In fact, I read up on the S2000 for almost 2yrs before making my decision. I finally pieced together the pros and cons and bought an Evo, since it's got good performance, practicality, and much more potential. In general, the Evo beats the S2000 in every performance category, besides top end speed, but that changes with a few cheap mods. The Evo's looks will grow on you; it looks very mean from the front (I didn't like it at first, but it's hard to compare looks to the S2000). Being in college, you're still moving around and haven't settled down, so the extra space will come in handy very well. Plus, you'll be driving friends around too.

Here's a link to my thread over at the S2000 boards:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthrea...hreadid=121980

Last edited by Thoe99; Aug 28, 2003 at 04:05 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:30 PM

thanks guys...i mean...of course, like theo99 said, i will be attending college soon and i am still a young guy so although i will be "baby-ing" my car, i wanan be rippin it...do u guys hit boost alot in the evo, like really love rippin it, and how does the evo react to this, its looks liek a beautiful car, but i wonder if it feels as nice as an s2k or if u think it can take a beating over a while (because i know hondas can)....
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
It is very hard not to hit full boost! Driving around town, you're around 3k rpm's, so whenever you feel like passing someone, just nail it and your car will hiss away. It's got more torque in the midrange, so it feels a lot faster than an S2000. The S2000 doesn't come alive til 6k rpm's, but even then, it still doesn't have the pull of the Evo's 19psi. Stock, the Evo loses psi at the higher rpm's, but that's fixable with a boost controller. I think Mitsubishi did that as a safety feature. When I first bought the car, it had so much more power than I could handle, seeing how I came from a measly corolla! As long as you let the car properly warm up before you let it rip (about 10min drive) and take car of its maintenance, you'll have a long lasting Evo. I think if you're new to performance cars, the Evo will definitely be safer, since it's AWD. Push the limits of the S2000 and you'll see your backend. Just keep in mind that by no means are these cars cheap to maintain. $800+ to replace tires, $1000 for an Evo clutch job, etc, so as a student, it would be wise to start setting aside some good money for these situations.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolving Member

Being an Evo owner, of course i'm going to say the EVo. But here's my reasoning for it. Being a college student, there'll be times when you want to bring your buddy for a ride somewhere. S2k will hold 2 including yourself, EVO 5. I was going to say something about the AWD but seeing that you're from FL, snow won't be a problem, unlike me, who lives in the northeast. Evo is more practical in terms of carrying more things. S2k haul *** but Evo haul more asses. i guess after this, it's based on personal preferance. convertible in FL is kinda nice though.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

The two cars I'm also deciding between. I'm going Evo because it will be my only car and the Evo is a lot more practical with 4 doors and a real trunk. On top of that I've always wanted a turbo car. Plus the AWD will take care of any winter weather I deal with before I move to Phoenix.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy trades his 2002 S2000 for EVO 8 and he never regrets.

I'm also a diehard fans on S2000 for years. After Evo 8 unleash, I just fall in love with it. I don't want to miss my chance to own this sexy beast.

Last edited by chinalfr; Aug 28, 2003 at 07:52 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have to agree with the majority of the posts here. I had a 2001 S2K that I LOVED, but when I knew I could get my hands on the Evo, I had to spring for it. When I traded in the S2K, I was extremely concerned about the reliability/build quality of the Evo. The S2K had been rock-solid for over 50,000 miles (I had a long commute), so the Evo needed to be up to the challenge. Since April (when I got the Evo), I've driven super hard in some canyons in Cali and VA, driven cross country (doing 140 with the A/C on in New Mexico) in 3 days, and commuted in stop and go traffic. No problems. Maintenance is a little more expensive because of the synthetic oil, but it's not a big deal. Someone commented earlier about the S2000 being the sexier car. I thought that too when I first got the Evo. However, I get 10 times the comments (and looks from girls) than I did in the Honda. I don't understand. Maybe the big wing correlates to something else...

Anyway, either car is a blast. If you like the open sensation, get the Honda. If you really want to thrash and get a big ****-eating grin all the time, get the Evo. You can't lose.

Just keep in mind, though, that when the Honda's power is boring (it will be, eventually), it takes BIG BANK to add power. With the Evo, I've already added close to 100hp for half of what the S2000's supercharger costs. Keep that in mind. Good luck!

Chris
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:43 PM

Just keep in mind, though, that when the Honda's power is boring (it will be, eventually), it takes BIG BANK to add power. With the Evo, I've already added close to 100hp for half of what the S2000's supercharger costs. Keep that in mind. Good luck!

Chris [/B]
Very good point.

It's the same with any car. Sooner or later you'll get bored of the power and will want to do some mods. With the EVO, it's relatively cheap and easy. Not so with the S2K.

It's a tough choice though, because both cars are so different. I love them both, and wish I could have both sitting in my driveway. Good luck with your choice.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolved Member

Both cars get , but I'm more into the EVO.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 12:44 AM
Evolving Member

i had a supercharged S2000 and i'll have to dissagree with the S2k being more fun in turns, i was always nervous on the edge while pushing the S2k hard into turns because of its snap oversteer, while the Evo will either push a little or (with power on) drift a little

the 2 seater soft-top got old after a while

you cant rotate the tires at all

the soft top cover is a pain to put on most of the time

spare tire is a pain to get to, and you have to move stuff around to fit the rim in the trunk (if you have a suitcase or 2 in the trunk forget about bringing your rim back with you unless you have a open passenger seat)

the supercharger for it costs 5 large and isnt worth the money at all (clutch cant hold the power, and the diff is a peice of garbage)

if i come up with anything else i'll post it

Last edited by Boosted; Aug 29, 2003 at 12:49 AM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Get the evo