Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

woot - just installed my AMS Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woot - just installed my AMS Intercooler

Took 3 hours, and I had basically no instruction. I just kind-of figured my way through it, and am not mechanically advanced. Anyone can do this install! What a great item, much larger and nicer than the factory unit. More pics are on my website:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sahmto3/evo

AMS - way to go on a really nice (and tight fitting) intercooler!

Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They didn't supply any hoses with the I/C??? How heavy was it ???
Old Aug 28, 2003, 09:54 PM
Evolving Member

value - they don't need to supply hoses with the new IC... the stock ones (which are very good quality BTW) fit right up. it is slightly heavier than stock, but it's a bar and plate unit which is much more durable, flows 1250cfm, and makes more power. reduced inlet temperatures should be the goal of any forced induction application - and this one fits the bill nicely.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Nice... did you check your air intake temp before and after the install?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Re: woot - just installed my AMS Intercooler

It is such a nice piece! We got em in stock now too, so anyone looking to upgrade and have the cool weather feeling everyday.. this is THE way to go!

Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AvatarOfWar
...but it's a bar and plate unit which is much more durable, flows 1250cfm, and makes more power. reduced inlet temperatures should be the goal of any forced induction application - and this one fits the bill nicely.
Could you please explain how a "bar and plate unit" is better?

How much does the stock unit flow (in cfm)?

Does your engine oil temperture run higher because of the extra area the new IC is taking up in front of the radiator?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:56 PM
Evolved Member

whats your butt dyno #'s?

How hard is it to get the front bumper off?

I have the AMS cat-back, great quality too. AMS makes great stuff.

Last edited by Compjoc; Aug 28, 2003 at 10:59 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Looks good. Notice a difference?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

ESCALVANTE - Bar and Plate usually had less pressure drop versus a tube and fin design (such as the stock IC), and are usually the preferred design for a front mount. I dont' know exactly how much the stock unit flows, but I know it's 580 cu in, where-as the AMS is close to 1000 cu in. The engine oil temperature is unaffected because, as you can see in the first picture, it in no way blocks the oil cooler.

Compjoc - My butt dyno says there is an improvement. This is coming from a guy who really couldn't "feel" a difference when I put on the 3" turbo back exhaust - but when I did my 1/4 times improved. I don't have a sensetive butt dyno, and I could still feel imrpovement from this unit. I appeared to be holding about a psi of boost higher than I normally do on the top end.

It was easy to get the front bumper off - don't try to be a "man" like I did and remove the stock one with the bumper on. Yep, I actually got the stock one off with the bumper on - and it was a mo fo. One everthing was off, getting the new one on was easy. The bumper took me 5 minutes to put back on.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

How much did the new FMIC go for?

Is it just a matter of unbolting the old one, and bolting the new one up? Is there anything else to be done?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 07:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

value - they don't need to supply hoses with the new IC... the stock ones (which are very good quality BTW) fit right up...
Have someone blip the throttle while you watch the OE intercooler hoses expand like a puffer fish under the hood... that's why people dyno higher (Al I think) hp with just changing to Samco silicon hose kits.

Nice chiller, wish I had the extra cash at the moment...
Old Aug 29, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Av.OfWar: Thanks for the insight. Goodluck with that.

How does this intercooler compare to others? HKS? RMR???
Old Aug 29, 2003, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ESCALVANTE
Av.OfWar: Thanks for the insight. Goodluck with that.

How does this intercooler compare to others? HKS? RMR???
To be honest, I only compared it to Pruven's and Buschurs... I personally got to see this intercooler at the DSM shootout and watch the Evo2 run with it. I KNEW that it was a very capable unit - I didn't feel like spending almost $300 more for maybe 1 - 2 hp on the Pruven unit (and I'm lazy, didn't want to mess with a new fan ). Bushur is one of my favorite vendors, but as far as I know their unit flows slightly less (but is better priced) and as of yet is unavailable. The AMS unit was easy to put on, looks and performs good, is capable of a lot of HP, and is cost effective.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the FMIC. Who makes the core?
Old Aug 29, 2003, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

ESCALVANTE - Bar and Plate usually had less pressure drop versus a tube and fin design (such as the stock IC), and are usually the preferred design for a front mount. I dont' know exactly how much the stock unit flows, but I know it's 580 cu in, where-as the AMS is close to 1000 cu in. The engine oil temperature is unaffected because, as you can see in the first picture, it in no way blocks the oil cooler.

Compjoc - My butt dyno says there is an improvement. This is coming from a guy who really couldn't "feel" a difference when I put on the 3" turbo back exhaust - but when I did my 1/4 times improved. I don't have a sensetive butt dyno, and I could still feel imrpovement from this unit. I appeared to be holding about a psi of boost higher than I normally do on the top end.

It was easy to get the front bumper off - don't try to be a "man" like I did and remove the stock one with the bumper on. Yep, I actually got the stock one off with the bumper on - and it was a mo fo. One everthing was off, getting the new one on was easy. The bumper took me 5 minutes to put back on.
Hmmm, I don't EVEN want to try to get the stock I/C out with the bumper on. Looks great Cris ! Glad I could help. I will be shipping your clutch next week too ! Yaaay !

For those intrerested , I sell these for $785 shipped (special price for a short time only)

Dustin
DRC IMPORTS

Quick Reply: woot - just installed my AMS Intercooler