Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo will be sitting for 2 years....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
well when im home, i cant drive it..... legally

the car will not be tagged during the 2 yrs
no but you can start it up and move it up and down your garage/driveway and you should be good to go. You would only need to worry about the fuel and battery if you weren't gonna start the car at all in those 2 years. I had my license suspended for 6 months and i would still start the car and move it up and down the drive way (not the evo my previous car) Also i suggest getting an air compressor and checking tire pressure as much as possible maybe keep tires over inflated if your not gonna jack it up. Good Luck
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

My wrx sat for 6 months with a broken tranny and when I got it going I had a brake caliper that was stuck and I kept messing with it and it would be good for a few days and then stick again. Had to replace it. Cars not being driven for long periods of time are bad. Idling isn't enough.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ha i think im good...
i like having a low mile MR...haha
thats part of the reason im not taking it to college with me

im pretty sure i dont need to worry about things getting stuck. the car is in a completely climate controlled environment. i bet your wrx was sitting outside or somewhere where weather and/or humidity was a factor
Old Sep 22, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah man it will be fine no worries
Old Sep 22, 2008, 09:14 PM
iy
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
If you'll be home 2-4 times a month, I don't see any need in storing it.
QFT

I stored my car for 1 year (older Maxima). All I did is remove the battery. Popped it back in, car started fine. It didn't even idle rough or anything.

If you drive it at least once a month I don't even think you need to use fuel stabilizer or anything.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

use fuel stabilizer regardless cheap insurance gas goes off quickly.
water and salt are bad, may be better not to take it out at all during the winter.
the tires will be flat spotted, but we go through tires pretty quickly so why worry just replace later.
I have seen a dry bag system for collector cars may be too expensive.
car cover will only protect against human error, still a good idea
I have also seen damp garages cause problems, but if the garage is attached or at least has a good concrete floor you should be fine.

check with your DMV, they may have a non operating tag/class that is cheap, doesn't require insurance, etc.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dude if you're coming home several times a month, you're going to want to drive the hell out of it. keeping registration and tags up to date is a drop in the bucket especially if you aren't maintaining it daily as you would when home.

if it is any help to you . i live in PA and not too too far from york. I just so happen to have a space in my garage. i will take care of it free of charge. I won't even change her name or anything.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Just drive it up and down your street a few times every time you come home. That will also keep your motivation up for finishing school.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

let mommy drive it to the food store lol haha jk
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDom
let mommy drive it to the food store lol haha jk

My buddies' mom drives his 06 STi to get groceries every so often while he's stationed in Okinawa!
Old Sep 23, 2008, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

damn joe ur crazy! ill come drive it once in a while. you know i know how haha
Old Sep 23, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha i will want to drive it when im home, but i can resist...
the car will be off the road soon, not changing my mind on that

when im out of college, this car will be a beast....
thats all i keep thinking about
Old Sep 23, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Dont Drain the gass tank. Fill the Gas tank so that you dont get any condinsation.

Also consider this.

Sell the car now that way you can take the money and invest it in a money market account or something where you can get a return on your investment then purchase one again in 2 years if you still want one. I promise your vehicle is going to lose value in the next 2 years. you wont see an increase in value for at least 5.

Plus it opens space in your garage and you wont have to pay the storage insurance.

Think long term
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

OK, I don't quite understand something...

1) You mention coming out of college in two years with the car paid off and making bank... From this I assume that you are still making payments on the car.
2) You're not going to tag it during this time... WTF? What do tags cost in PA? Here the tags for my EVO run $50 + $38 for the inspection.
3) If you're paying on the car, it is a condition of every vehicle loan I've ever seen that you maintain comp+col on the car at all times. If it lapses, they will buy it for you and charge you $$$.

If you'll be home every week or two, just keep her clean, tires aired up, fuel topped up, and drive 20-30 miles a weekend when you are home to keep her up? As someone else mentioned, the absolute worst thing you can do to a car is not drive it.

As far as selling it and investing the difference goes- it really depends on what you owe, what you can get, and then what you can get as return on your investment. One thing that I can say with certainty is that your car is worth more now than it will be in two years with no additional miles on it.

Figuring you're two years out from paying it off, I can guess you owe something in the ballpark of 12-15k on it. Low miles and all let's say you can sell it for $24, netting $9-12k on the deal. In addition to that, you are saving the $500-$700 a month in car payment, plus the $100+ in insurance etc. Over the course of the next two years, if you put that money that you would have spent away, you would have $14.4-18.6k saved out-of-pocket, for a total car fund of $23.4-30.6k to put directly to a new vehicle. (assuming you kept it in cash in a deposit box - put it in the market and all of the ups and downs apply)

Mr. "Think long term" certainly has a point there.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

fill the cylinders with salt water

Quick Reply: Evo will be sitting for 2 years....